Your favs at Trader Joe's?

Options
Hello!

Just recently, Trader Joes has opened up in my area. I've never really shopped at a TJs before and I'm looking for advice on what to buy. Please share either your favorite items and/or inexpensive products you save money on by shopping at Trader Joes.

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    They have a marinated tofu that I LOVE. They also have great deals on all fresh fruits and veggie. My husband gets some salmon burgers there that he really likes, in the frozen section. That is all I can think of off the top of my head, but we love Trader Joes! There is not one in our town and we drive an hour to get to the closest one, so worth it!
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I like their almond butter. The one that is just roasted almonds and sea salt.
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I buy sugar snap peas there. And frozen edamame.
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    Pesto Pizza and Chicken Wonton's are delicious if they fit your macros!
  • flowergirl2009
    Options
    I started working there a few months ago--they have some wonderful cereals/oatmeals/granolas that are rather good. Also the greek yogurt is cheap and (kinda) healthy as far as sugar goes. Generally i've been buying veggies, cheese, and making egg white omelets.

There's plenty to love in the freezer section just be careful--although not bad for you none of it is very good either.
  • dynad
    dynad Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Dried Apple rings! and the granola bars
  • Seabring17
    Seabring17 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was just there this week. These are the items I get everytime I go. Plus I usually end up trying new things frequently.

Low Sodium Soy Sauce
    Steel Cut Oats
    Raisins
    Multi Grain Cereal
    Jasmine Brown Rice
    Basmati Brown Rice
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    OMGOMGOMG- Macadamia, Almond, Cranberry, and Crystallized Ginger trek mix! It's the best of all the rest.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try the chicken sausage.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great thread! TJ's addict here. Take a look at my food diary for ideas. I ONLY buy my salad mix at TJs right now - I am so addicted to the arugula sorrento greens blend - there is a lot of salad I don't like so TJs makes salad edible for me, which is great for my diet. I always buy all-natural psyllium husks - it's a fiber supplement with no additives, great for stomach issues and weight loss. I love the nuts (almonds, peanuts) because I think they're less expensive and more natural than at mainstream grocery stores. I buy the met-rx whey protein powder. Last night I bought mandarins, blueberries and greek yogurt. I asked for a TJ's cookbook for Christmas (search on Amazon). Also check out this site: http://www.cooktj.com/
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    In the frozen section, frozen garlic, basil and sometime pepper. I like there nuts. Their Peppermint Candy Cane tea, is the best. You can find some great things, if you look around.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    they have premade garlic and portabello mushroom personal pizzas that are SO yummy, and even if you eat the whole thing its only 460 calories!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just got a TJ in my area, too. I've been at least once a week since it opened. :blushing:

I'm finding that a lot of my daily staples (yogurt, eggs, apples, etc.) are costing me way less than if I had gone to my normal grocery store. There are a lot of unique things, too, so plenty of options to help you mix up your diet.

I'm also pretty much in love with their Milk/Dark Chocolate Covered almonds. They're not super low in calories/fat, but they *are* high in protein and are great to satisfy a chocolate/hunger craving! :happy:
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The ginger granola is AWESOME! I also like the reasonably priced sushi.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just checked and literally every single item in my food diary today is from TJs lol. YES to the frozen garlic! It's the only packed garlic I've found that tastes like fresh garlic. Also TJs carries Ak-Mak crackers, fantastic for weight loss, high protein and fiber. Also it's a good store if you don't have time to cook one day - you can grab a great lunch salad or reasonably-healthy and unique ready-made dinner (so much better than regular packaged dinners).
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    honestly? EVERYTHING.
  • vanessa1324
    vanessa1324 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    They have a great spaghetti sauce that is super low in sodium. And I love love love their sweet potato chips.
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Their low carb whole wheat tortillas are very good. I also love their protein bread in the blue and yellow package. I find their turkey to be very good and cheaper than other stores. I also love their pizza dough, for the kids, not me.
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Any/all of the dried fruit and nuts.

Sushi

Orange Mango Pineapple juice

There's a spinach salad mix with cranberries, blue cheese, and walnuts - so good!

Chocolate Chip dunker cookies (I think they're called dunkers) Not good for you - but we all need some junk here and there.

Cilantro wontons (frozen)

And Two-Buck Chuck wine!
  • poodlegoat
    poodlegoat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The sweet and salty walnuts are the ****