5K Zombie Run

Options
Hi!

This sunday I'm going on my very first 5K, and it turns out it's an obstacle race! I'm pretty exited but I don't know what to expect.

I can run a 5K in around 35min, the problem is I just found out about this race and I'm pretty hyped to go but I haven't trained or even run in about a month.

Any tips on what to expect on obstacle races? And should I 'train' AKA run to prepare? I just have thursday and saturday available so I don't know if I should risk it.

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: here's the link for the race http://www.runforyourlives.com/ I'm going to the mexican version but I'm guessing it's going to be pretty much the same.

Replies

• CruskitFairy
    CruskitFairy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner, so I have no decent advice to give, but I just wanted to say that this sounds like soooo much fun and I am super jealous because we currently dont have anything like that near me (Australia)!!!
  • joebiebrich
    joebiebrich Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did run for your lives at the end of September, everyone loved it.

For mud runs, just expect mud pits that are preceded or followed by mud hills to be the main problem. The climbing up the hills and getting through the water/mud will tax your body more than just running.

Your shoes will get soaked and stuffed with mud. I saw people who duct taped their shoes on, and halfway through the race they had ripped the tape off to dump out mud, so I wouldn't suggest that. I didn't wear socks, but the insoles bunched up after getting wet and I took them out halfway through. If you can, wear shorts/pants without pockets. Bring a trashbag, towel, change of clothes, and a separate pair of shoes for after the race.

As for preparing, I definitely wouldn't do anything Saturday. And don't go crazy on Thursday either,if you do anything.
  • maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yeah TomMcNair, I wasn't sure of entering because I havn't trained in a while but it sounds really fun, I hope you have one soon in Austrailia! :)

And thanks a lot joebiebrich!! I was just thinking on climbing walls, I forgot about the mud!! I'll take that into account and bring a change of clothes and I really hope they have lockers or something for the cellphones.

Didn't you get blisters for running without socks and all the mud?

I guess I'll just run 2 or 3 km today then and practice on stopping and turning so I can at least try to avoid zombies.