Need Help ???

Options
OK, so I'm on many different pain medications for a really bad back. Was taking 2 pills a day. Just had 3 selective nerve blocks and the Doc. tells me to double the amount of pain pills I'm taking. My question is do all pain medications restrict you from losing weight. I was losing 4-5 pounds a week and now Im down to a max of 2 pounds a week. Just wanna know if this has happen to anyone else.

Thanks

Replies

• gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I know from dealing with a terminally ill parent that pain meds slow your heart rate down. They also slow down your digestive track. I'd venture to say they also affect your metabolism. I started taking pain meds for my back and my weight loss came to a screeching halt. Was losing 3-4 lbs a week, and now I'm maintaining on the same routine. Unfortunately, it's a vicious cycle.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the pills but 2lbs a week is plenty. Any faster than that and you're highly likely to put it all back on again in the long run. You sure your 4-5lbs wasn't just your initial water weight loss (happens to us all in the first month of caloric deficit).
  • christinekmw
    christinekmw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Studies show that if you are losing more than around 2lbs/week you are actually losing more muscle than fat. While so many people get excited about losing tremendous amounts weekly, it is actually not healthy for you. Be consistent, be diligent, and be healthy.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    OK, so I'm on many different pain medications for a really bad back. Was taking 2 pills a day. Just had 3 selective nerve blocks and the Doc. tells me to double the amount of pain pills I'm taking. My question is do all pain medications restrict you from losing weight. I was losing 4-5 pounds a week and now Im down to a max of 2 pounds a week. Just wanna know if this has happen to anyone else.

Thanks

depends on what meds you're taking but certainly some meds can slow down your weight loss. But, what others posted is correct, 2 pounds a week is a good weight loss unless you're in the morbid obese range. And most people lose weight more quickly to start with (first month or two) and then see the loss amounts slow down somewhat.
  • dmnj33
    dmnj33 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks all going to try to just deal with the pain. I know its the meds
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    2/week is awesome. you dont wanna lose much more than that then you start losing muscle too