Sushi

Options

Replies

• jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    First off....my name says it all. I love it and am so very sad I can't have it right now because I am pregnant. There are lighter calorie options (no rice, no avo, no sauces, no tempura fried items, etc) but I like what I like...all the yumminess I can cram into a roll. If you eat it, make it fit into your calories/macros! It is a treat for me because of the way I like to eat my sushi but I would think that sashimi is very low calorie.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    There should be no food to "avoid'!! All in moderation. Gawd...if someone told me I couldn't have sushi - I'd kick their *kitten*!! I love sushi - there is the not so healthy variety and the more healthy versions. Yes it will push your carbs way up - even if you get brown rice and your sodium will probably bust too. so be mindful of what you eat the rest of the day. Avoid the rolls with cream cheese and/or fried. All the others - fair game in my opinion!!

Damn...I want some sushi now. :grumble:
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Mmmm now I want sushi.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't like it at all >.< I've tried giving it a chance but me and sushi just don't work out.
    Buuuttt cooked fish is a WHOLE other story <3
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Regarding sushi spiking insulin, I call BS. I've been diabetic for ten years and my glucose stays steady after every sushi dinner. If my insulin was spiking I'd have seen a decades worth of bad meter reads.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I hate sushi...
    is something I will never say.

I had a rainbow roll and a dragon roll for lunch today. ♥

I would eat it every day of my life if it was free.....
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love sushi, and I think as long as you watch your portion control and what's in it/how it's prepared, there is nothing wrong with having it in your diet. If you would like something like sushi that is low in calories, try making onigiri. It's just a ball of rice wrapped in seaweed with a filling in the center that is usually umeboshi (pickled plum), salmon, or whatever you would like in it.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Eat it...as often as you want. If you're diabetic, you should be managing your glucose count regularly. My late bride was Type-1...we ate Sushi REGULARLY 3-4 times a week.
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm LCHF, but I've had a cheat dinner the last two sundays of a free for all all I want to eat sushi meal and have actually had my weight go down as a consequence, and it's not from avoiding things. Quite happy with butterfish sashimi, but had many a roll with avocado, tempura and mayo.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    As long as the sushi is rice with fish, it probably won't spike your insulin. Protein mixed with carbs keeps insulin level.

"Refined salt" isn't in sushi. You don't have to add soy sauce. And, even if you do, a little salt won't hurt you.

Not sure where the sugar you claim is in the sushi came from, except when your body breaks down the carbs and protein.

Depending on the carbs, mixing them with protein does not guarantee that your insulin will stay level. If it did, a diabetic could smuggle sugar into a balanced meal and not show a blood sugar spike 2 hours after eating. You can't smother carbs with protein and hope your body doesn't notice. (That being said, if you're not watching your carbs specifically for medical reasons or to follow a specific diet, this probably won't matter.)

The sugar in sushi is in the rice mixture: sushi rice is not just plain white rice -- it's made with sugar unless the establishment expressly says it is not.

Personally, I use low sodium soy sauce because while soy sauce is low in calories, it's high in sodium and I don't like retaining water (or risking high blood pressure).
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Sushi at least 3 times a week.
    I try to avoid the deep fried rolls, and the nasty ones with mayo or cream cheese (don't like, don't need the fat).

Love it.

Seems excellent nutritionally to me.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Go to Japan and count the number of overweight people at the sushi counters. If you find one let me know.

This is what I was thinking.
  • Katherinesfitness
    Options
    Also avoid the soy sauce soak. Good sushi doesn't need to be hidden with soy sauce anyway.

Agreed! I never eat sushi with soy sauce, it's yumbo by itself and if it needs soaking then I don't consider it good sushi imo.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I eat it weekly.
    I also will never give up white rice.
    I am not fat because of white rice.
    I am fat because of portion sizes among many other things.

I usually get salmon or tuna sushi & Sashimi and enjoy it with coconut aminos instead of soy sauce
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Also avoid the soy sauce soak. Good sushi doesn't need to be hidden with soy sauce anyway.

Agreed! I never eat sushi with soy sauce, it's yumbo by itself and if it needs soaking then I don't consider it good sushi imo.

Yep. It doesn't need the soy. I use a little, but mostly prefer it with none.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    i love sushi, my kids love sushi...we eat sushi often...

there is no food that i cant eat, no restrictions here...

i watch my portions and i enjoy my food...i love Spicy Crunch Tuna rolls!!!!
  • Rennohana
    Rennohana Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lol I live in Japan, but cannot eat raw fish! But anyhow, i think the only thing that id worry about is sushi vinegar has sugar in it. I know my mom is Japanese, and whenever she makes the vinegar for the rice, i see her dumping sugar in it like its nothing lol. She says alot of Japanese food is smaller portioned and everything but we love to use sooo many condiments and spices in the authentic japanese food. Just a thought :)
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is called a Lotus Roll at the restaurant I go to. Cucumber + maguro, served with a spicy Ponzu (it's delicious without the sauce, too).
    219626_4436606524052_858561447_o.jpg
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I saw a fat person in a sushi joint once!!

Now...granted...he was eating McDonalds in the corner while his friends were eating said sushi. I think he was A-feared.

I was stationed in southern Japan for a year and we ate sushi all the time. Brought the habit home, and then married a lady that won't go near the stuff. Sheesh!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Lol I live in Japan, but cannot eat raw fish! But anyhow, i think the only thing that id worry about is sushi vinegar has sugar in it. I know my mom is Japanese, and whenever she makes the vinegar for the rice, i see her dumping sugar in it like its nothing lol. She says alot of Japanese food is smaller portioned and everything but we love to use sooo many condiments and spices in the authentic japanese food. Just a thought :)

Seriously agree on this. I lived in Japan for several years (just got back to the U.S. actually) and was always struck by the portions. A sushi meal there seems like its 5-6 pieces of nigiri and a bowl of miso soup. In the U.S. its often twice that size. Its not the rice, sugar, etc. its the total calories!