vegeterian?

Options
I'm a vegetarian and need some healthy foods that are vegetarian friendly. I'm going to the store tonight and need some ideas on what to buy. and the reason I ask this is because even though I've been a vegetarian for awhile I haven't changed my diet except exclude meat and didn't really lose anything until this year when I started eating healthy but still need some help. and any recipes would be great

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I have a couple recipes on my diary and also have come up with a vegeterian lasagna.

Friend me if you want.

I read forks over knives and am approx 60% vegetarina now.
  • pru101
    pru101 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    hello :)

Ive been a vegetarian my whole life pretty much. I love couscous, with spinach, garlic, sweetcorn. I usually go for beans such as black-eyed and kidney beans in mint sauce with onions etc. soups are filling and low in calorie, so fresh tomatoes, mushroom, peas? having roast veg for dinner or steamed veg is yummy. mixed peppers, tomato, mushrooms and onion. I dont eat potatoes much and try to avoid them. Im indian and love my curries, i make them healthy as possible and have wheat chappaties which is low in calories and make you feel full. the rest is a whole load of fruit, rice crackers. For dessert i love frozen low fat greek yoghurt and fresh fruit.

I hope this helps, add me if you would like to know more :)
  • acnabal
    acnabal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and was a vegan for awhile. Since I started eating dairy again I've gained about 10 lbs. I'm trying to get rid of it now but limiting my dairy, but not completely cutting it out.

I'd suggest using the recipe calculator tab to figure out recipes. I use it all the time! I also eat quite a bit of cucumbers and hummus (hummus only has about 60 calories for 2 tbs!!) Just google vegetarian healthy snacks and you'll come across quite a few.

Just make sure you're getting enough protein! Quinoa is little higher in protein, but also a little more calories and fat than brown rice. Here's a good source of protein info: http://www.livestrong.com/article/248497-low-calorie-high-protein-vegetarian-foods/

I don't know how to do this on here, but if you have any questions, I've been a vegetarian for a LONG time and cook every day.

Good luck!
  • troutstamos
    Options
    Some grocery essentials for me (vegan) are:

Greens (Kale, Spinach, Collard Greens, Broccoli Rabe, etc.)
    Other vegetables (Brussel sprouts, Broccoli, Cabbage, whatever is in season is best)
    Fruits (Bananas, Blackberries, Blueberries, Apples, etc.)
    Grains (Brown Rice, Kashi 7 Grain Pilaf)
    Protein (Tempeh, Tofu, Quinoa, anything Gardein or Tofurky, and Beans...lots of different kinds of beans!)
    Drinks (Blue Diamond Almond/Coconut blend Milk, Silk Very Vanilla Soy Milk, and Kambucha)
    Other alternatives (anything Daiya, Tofutti, and So Delicious)

Happy shopping!
  • what do you normally buy at the store
  • what do you normally eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks out of your list
  • troutstamos
    Options
    Well, I left out some items now that I think about it, haha.

For breakfast, I usually eat oatmeal or a bowl of cheerios with sliced banana, some blackberries, and as of recently a handful of sun-dried goji berries (look for Navitas brand).

Lunch is a toss up.

Kale salad with some pre-cooked (from the night before) protein, some light dressing, some nuts (cashew or walnuts), and a tbsp of nutritional yeast (NOW brand is my favorite).

OR

Tofurky deli slices either on an Arnold Sandwich Thins Multi-Grain roll, or a wrapped in a Tumaro's Pumpernickel tortilla with some greens, a sliced tomato, mustard, and seasoning to taste.

Dinner is always different and can range from homemade pizza (with Daiya cheese) to homemade kimch/tofu dumplings and fried brown rice!

I always try to be as creative as possible in the kitchen and I encourage you do the same!
  • I haven't actually made my own food, I usually buy it already made
  • troutstamos
    Options
    It's never too late to start building up some cooking skills!
  • ashleeliza
    Options
    my favourite vegetarian meal is quorn chilli :)

Just quorn mince with garlic, passatta, kidney beans and some spices. Tastes lovely in a wholemeal tortilla wrap and a small sprinkle of cheese.

I also had a avocado and quorn fajita strip sandwich in organic wholemeal bread the other day and it was one of the loveliest things I've tasted in a while!
  • tashacotter
    Options
    Just wanted to check in to see if you ended up going fully vegetarian. There are two wonderful documentaries that I saw recently that made me rethink my own meat consumption--Hungry for Change and Get Veducated. Both are available through Netflix streaming and are excellent. I will check out that Forks Over Knives book you mentioned. It's been a week and I've not had any meat. Hoping I can stick with this.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for almost 3 years and have never felt better. I eat tons of protein from things like greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, almost anything Gardein ( especally the burgers or crispy chick'n fillets), beans (I usually make a big batch of some kind of ben soup on the weekends and put it in individual servings in the freezer to have for lunch), soy milk, protein powder, homemade protein bars, all kinds of different stuff. Also, make sure youneat enough iron-snap peas, blackstrap moleasses, fortified breads, cream of wheat, kale, quinoa, Gardein products, beans (especially lentils) & oats are all good sources. Feel free to add me or check out my diary for ideas.