Full fat Greek Yogurt (with honey)?

Options
So im a lover of greek yogurt. But the normal version is so fattening! I know that its good fats, but should i just stick to light to reduce the fat content? or go to the natural kind for the health benfits? And what do you do personally? Thanks in advance x

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Or eat the 0% fat and get your fat elsewhere. Fit your macros. :smile:
    If I eat fatty meats or nuts and have met my fat goals I'll eat 0% greek yogurt.
    If I need fat and need the other macro nutrients in the yogurt profile I''l eat the fattier kind.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I usually get the fat-free or low fat plain and then add berries and stevia as a sweetener. But if the regular with honey fits in your plan go for it.
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've never seen one with full fat. I've only ever seen 0% and 2%. They must be rare.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Or eat the 0% fat and get your fat elsewhere. Fit your macros. :smile:
    If I eat fatty meats or nuts and have met my fat goals I'll eat 0% greek yogurt.
    If I need fat and need the other macro nutrients in the yogurt profile I''l eat the fattier kind.

:flowerforyou: ... so much logic
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The closest non-fat version to the greek yog w/honey is the Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt Non-Fat Mango... It is nice smooth and tasty. Cheers!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The full fat is super hard to find where I live, and I prefer the taste, so I buy it whenever I see it. Otherwise, usually fat free. This is more of a preference issue, in my opinion. Oh, and milk fat isn't exactly a health food :).
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Fage 2% is the best. It's just just enough fat to make it feel like you're eating a poor man's whipped cream.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just make your own, that's what I do. Just google it.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I prefer Fage 2% ..is a bit less bitter than the 0%
    I get the plain. 20 G protein for 7 oz container

I do a variety of stuff with it, depending on the day.

Today, I mixed in natural chunky PB, a dash of stevia and mini dark choc chips. froze it slightly. Very filling ..kept my hunger at bay for hours.

I've made parfaits with berries, nuts or seeds, dark choc chips
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So im a lover of greek yogurt. But the normal version is so fatening! I know that its good fats, but should i just stick to light to reduce the fat content? or go to the natural kind for the health benfits? And what do you do personally? Thanks in advance x

It's so much easier for the big guys and the taller girls to eat the full fat versions of everything. I've learned to sub in fat free greek yogurt (some brands are better than others, chobani is delicious even fat free), and I use vanilla stevia a lot. It just helps with the calorie budget. I get plenty enough fat in just the meats/poultry and other foods without adding any extra fat. Even too many nuts is too high calorie for me most of the time, I can have just a few, so I'm a fan of PB2 as well. <sigh> it's tough to be a tiny person in the midst of all these bigger people with bigger calorie budgets (even in maintenance). Life is so not fair!
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Options
    I usually go with 0% and add berries and honey too! I just wasnt sure which to go with. Its pretty easy to find the full fat where i live, at my sisters house she buys it for her son. (Hes underweight) but she said full fat is better for you even though its fattening. Thanks everyone!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's is my favorite and they offer a full fat, 2%, and a fat free in the plain Greek yogurt. I love the full fat and the 2%, fat free dairy is never my thing. :tongue: I go with the 2% because it has 24g of protein per cup, and the full fat only has 9g. Not sure how that's possible, but I go with the 2% because it's good and creamy and packs the protein.

Oh, and I love it with fresh fruit and honey. :smile: I also put it in my oatmeal (also with fruit and honey and walnuts), use it in place of sour cream, etc. Good stuff.
  • celshade
    celshade Posts: 131 Member
    Options
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I only buy 2% or full fat Fage. Fat-free is too thin whereas full-fat is fluffy like whipped cream. It makes excellent instant protein cheesecake filling.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of preference! I LOVE the 10% greek yogurt they sell around here, but being 5'0" and having a 1200 cal diet to lose 1ish lbs a week, I don't love the restriction that puts on the rest of my day.

I eat a 2% greek yogurt, and I really really love it. I have tried the 0% stuff, but it honestly just doesn't taste right to me.

That said, I have a fruit dip that I make for snacks that I could eat for dessert it's so good and it's 0% vanilla greek yogurt with peanut butter and cinnamon. OH MY WORD it's delicious.

I choose fats that I love and make them work. I find the fat free or reduced fat versions of dairy products just not satisfying. I'd rather consume my fat there and be careful elsewhere.

You'll find me putting 2 tbsp of 18% coffee cream in my cup of joe, drinking 1% milk (down from 2% in my childhood) and eating full or at least partial fat yogurts.

Life is too short for fat free yogurt :).
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    2% is perfect.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Fage 2% is the best. It's just just enough fat to make it feel like you're eating a poor man's whipped cream.

yes, Fage 2% rocks.
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    Ha! You americans have it easy. Low fat greek yogurt doesnt seem to exist here, its 10% or nothing. So I eat the 10% and just make room for the fat.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd go for it. Full fat makes me feel full for longer. The fat free stuff goes right through me, and I end up eating more because I get hungry faster.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd go for it. Full fat makes me feel full for longer. The fat free stuff goes right through me, and I end up eating more because I get hungry faster.

I agree. Tried both and prefer the full fat.