Running at night or in the Dark.

Options
Anyone run in the dark? I have of course after going on a run and making it back after dark has set in. More and more I find it is harder to get up early having twins who wake up early and inconsistently and once they are up at maybe around 5am then the day is on full force. I live in a safe rural area thinking about trying to run after babies bed time usually around 7/8. With a headlamp? I know the trails around here like the back of my hands very little traffic dirt road so, Any tips????(P.S I hate hate treadmills and do not own one

Replies

• AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I run at night. My friend and I either find places with enough light (we are in a city so that's not hard) or we carry a mini flashlight or use a headlamp - although I don't like the headlamp, I find it uncomfy so I just hold the mini one. The areas we go are familiar to us and if the moon isn't covered by cloud there is oftn enough light to see once our eyes adjust, probably because we choose open areas (by the beach) rather than where there are a lot of trees.

Good luck and be safe! Wear something reflective. You can buy little velcro reflective strips and just put them aroung your arms or legs.
  • chrtyA
    chrtyA Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips. I think I might enjoy the nice and quiet in the dark. I have a triple stroller for my three kiddos but getting the miles I want with 70+ pounds of kiddo's in tow does not always go as planned and mom needs some ME TIME!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I do it, there are streetlights in my neighborhood and it is a quiet-ish series of side streets, so I feel safe and it is lit. Do your streets have streetlights? You may not need a headlamp, running with it may make you dizzy.
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree with the headlamp or flashlight. I just want to add that you may not want to run with an ipod on so you can be aware of your surroundings. Stay safe
  • vegas1776
    vegas1776 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Our Sat morning runs with our running group begin before the sun rises (we average 10-15 miles on Sat. mornings) and it is a parade of reflective tape and mini flashlights. A few of us have red blinky lights by our ears on a headband along with the above mentioned. Works like a charm! If you know the road, know it is safe and take precautions, you should be just fine! Be safe and have a great time!
  • vegas1776
    vegas1776 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just watch for road hazards. I like running at night but I have tripped/ slipped a couple times cause of loose gravel and wet leaves.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I do it, there are streetlights in my neighborhood and it is a quiet-ish series of side streets, so I feel safe and it is lit. Do your streets have streetlights? You may not need a headlamp, running with it may make you dizzy.

Agreed - headlamps are okay when necessary but they also make me dizzy. If the moon is out then give your eyes a chance to adjust and try it out. But bring one just in case as an emergency go to.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I usually run at night. Stay in areas you know, bring a light source, don't wear an ipod, and let someone know what route you'll be taking and how long it should take you. I carry pepper spray too, mostly because my neighborhood has a lot of big stray dogs (country life man).
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Make sure you can be seen too with either arm flashers or some kind of reflective tape on your clothing. I walk occasionally at night and the other night, I was shocked to find that we were practically bumping into other people and their dogs before we even realized that they were there. Us on the other hand were very visible due to the red arm bracelets that we got at Eddie Bauer. My friend and I have tried quite a few different things but these so far are the best. They are similar to the kids slap bracelets except that they glow with a red light all the way around. They can be worn on your biceps, wrists or ankles. Good luck with your running.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I like to run with my friend.....

1309420325512.jpg
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just a note on safety, if the trail is little traveled, it could be more dangerous as far as being attacked by someone. I would encourage you to find someone to run with just to make it a little safer from that standpoint.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dog? I live in a very safe area too, but if I go out alone in the dark, I always take the dog. Just to be a bit safer...
  • chrtyA
    Options
    The road I am thinking of doing in the dark is right on my street we have some neighbors and compared to the rest of the town it may be one of the more traveled roads but still not many cars I will have to worry about. I do have a few hounds I could take with me good idea!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I run at 430 am, its really dark out. I run with my boyfriend (for fun and safety) and our dog and we run in the street (there aren't many cars around). We are going to get reflector strips for our clothes. Our streetlamps are on so we can see.
  • chrtyA
    Options
    I like to run with my friend.....

1309420325512.jpg

ha ha ha! I have a friend who looks like that too :)
  • chrtyA
    Options

No streetlights at all.
  • katesinternet
    katesinternet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It gets dark here very early now (right at 5 PM). I take my dog and he doesn't seem to mind. I do not run though, but I do about 3.5-4 mph walking at a brisk pace.

We stay off the hike/bike trail here after dark as it is nearly pitch black there. I prefer the residential to semi-residential areas with streetlights for safety's sake.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    i run at night, because i live in florida, and it sure as hell is hotter during the day, plus if i get scared of the dark it motivates me to run faster and get back home!!! :laugh:
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Great tips from everyone above. Also, make sure you tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back, and take your cell phone if you can.