Any uni students finding it hard to lose

Options
I've always been overweight but when I started my first year at university, I gained over 30 pounds. This summer, I finally became serious about losing weight and it was easy to do because I was living at home and could make healthier food choices and exercise more often. In September, I moved to the UK from Canada to study pharmacy and have regained 10 pounds from the 40 I lost during my 4 month summer break! My bad eating habits have returned and I order food almost every night, I don't exercise, and I went out very frequently my first month here and drank a lot of alcohol. I started off trying to make an effort to stay on track: I bought a lot of veggies and fruits when I got here, I bought a scale, and I got a month-long gym membership. I went to the gym maybe 5 times in that month and haven't gone at all since, I'm afraid to step on the scale, and all that food went bad because I feel so tired and lazy after lectures so I would rather order out than make myself something healthy to eat. I feel like all my hard work is going to waste but I just cant seem to make myself get healthy!
For those of you who have been or are in a similar situation: HELP! How do I keep myself motivated and what can I do to keep myself on track? Also are there any foods that you would suggest that aren't too difficult to make and are healthy? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Replies

• rikathetika
    Options
    I'm not a uni student but you could try and cook or make dinner the night before such as pasta and eat that. Or make some dinner and when you can't be bothered to cook you can just go and microwave it instead.That's what I do when I come home starving.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Its really hard! I find it easier if i eat alone, that way im not infleunced by other people.
  • Vx3_
    Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yikes, it's not easy at all.
    Try spending one day out of the week writing what you're going to eat and prep it on that day. Store it in the freezer, and when you go about your day you can let it defrost or cook it immediately.
    Chew gum when you're craving and drink water.
    Club soda has no calories I heard, so instead of drinking alcohol, try that.
    Best of luck. =(
  • SavitaD
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions guys!
  • llWishfulShrinkingll
    Options
    I'm a freshman and I have found in pretty easy to loose weight. At my University they have a gym free for students I go there about 5 times a weeks and there is always healthy choices in our cafes. Most of it is fattening but I was able to find the salad bar or wraps.
  • chio_04
    chio_04 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I managed to lose some weight my freshman year. What I do is take snacks such as baby carrots, granola bars, trail mix and a lot of water so I won't be starving by the time I get home. My university also has a gym, and my motivation is working out early so i'll be warm the rest of the day, and it works!
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think the hardest part is just starting...once you get in a routine, you'll find it much easier! Luckily for me, my university has a HUGE, super-nice workout facility that's free for students and just a few blocks away from my apartment. For the past couple months, I've been going there almost every day to workout, and I've found that even on the days when I reallyyyyy don't want to go, I'm ALWAYS so glad I did after my workout is over. For instance, I have a pretty bad cold right now so yesterday I was thinking that I would skip my workout. However, after I worked out I felt SO MUCH BETTER (the ibuprofen might have helped a bit too...)! Whenever I really don't feel like exercising, I just tell myself "you KNOW you'll feel better if you do!" and it's true...so that always motivates me.

Food is what's really difficult for me. I LOVE food, and I live close by to a ton of fast-food (and delicious) restaurants...not to mention my friends always want to go out :P So first of all, I cook at my apartment AS OFTEN AS I CAN. Then I know what I'm putting in my body and how good (or bad) it actually is for me. I only let myself go out if all/most of my friends are going and I try not to eat out more than twice a week. It also helps that I'm pretty broke right now so I don't want to spend money :) In my apartment, I love trying out delicious and healthy recipes...I'm discovering that I love cooking! Especially when I know what I'm eating is good for me.

And finally...drink a lot of water. Drinking water throughout the day (always carry a water bottle around!) keeps me from eating when I don't really need to and it's really good for your body to stay hydrated :)

Oh, and I also try to be especially healthy during the week because I don't want to feel guilty if I am not as dedicated on the weekends due to eating out/partying/what have you.

Hopefully that helps you a bit! Good luck! You can do it!! :)
  • SavitaD
    Options
    Thank you for the detailed answer! actually very helpful :) I think you're right, I need to create a routine that's do-able for me and stick with it, and in time I'll get used to it
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    ...my university has a HUGE, super-nice workout facility that's free for students and just a few blocks away from my apartment. For the past couple months, I've been going there almost every day to workout, and I've found that even on the days when I reallyyyyy don't want to go, I'm ALWAYS so glad I did after my workout is over.

Food is what's really difficult for me. I LOVE food, and I live close by to a ton of fast-food (and delicious) restaurants...not to mention my friends always want to go out :P So first of all, I cook at my apartment AS OFTEN AS I CAN....

This is my life exactly. I'm not even joking. I only exercise so I can eat more food. I had to force myself to do Pilates tonight, but I'm so glad I did because now I feel excellent.

I second the cooking in. The way I work it is I make a meal like chili on a Sunday night, mix in extra veggies (because otherwise I won't eat them), and then divide it up in Tupperware so I have premade microwave meal ready and waiting at home. I also leave my wallet at home so that I cannot just go out and buy stuff at school.

I also like to snack during class, so I pack my lunch with snacking in mind. I'll make sure to have fruit or something to eat as a quick snack.

I drink a TON of unsweetened decaf tea and seltzer water. If I didn't I could never get by.

Always make sure you have a quick easy meal option waiting at home so you can say no to other food. Then, I like to save 100 calories a day and bank them for a fun meal with my friends over the weekend. It makes this diet a bit more bearable.
  • WinstonH123
    Options
    I am in college as well and I went into college weighing 140..then by junior year i was at 175! YIKES I then started losing the unhealthy way and got down to 150 but then once I got home for summer I started eating normal amounts and gained ten lbs back! Now working to get back down and further to 130 lbs. I am at like 157ish right now but MAINLY because it's so tough to lose in college! The caf has all the crappy unhealthy food and then you get hungry at night! Eating healthy is so easy at home then at school...it's a disaster! I feel your pain girl!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Right now (in canada at least) finals are starting soon and I know a lot of girls on my floor have been turning to packaged foods and takeout. What works for me is cooking my meals on the weekend and keeping them in my mini fridge in my room. When I'm hungry I take a serving and zap it in the microwave. Also, I keep fresh fruit on hand, since it goes bad quickly I'm kind of "forced" to eat it (as to not waste money) and it's healthy to snack on! Also, do not buy any unhealthy snacks!! Lastly, I only drink water, black tea or black coffee (0 calorie drinks), no pop, sugary fruit juice or anything like that. Hope this helps :)
  • SavitaD
    Options
    I also leave my wallet at home so that I cannot just go out and buy stuff at school.

BEST idea I've heard so far! haha no way I can get fast food without money :D
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    I'm a Junior. I've found it easier because I now have free access to a gym & fitness classes, more healthy choices than HS, & a job! To eat healthy, I don't carry money; I bring all of my meals so no impulse buying!

Make sure that you're eating enough cals (1500-1800), & eating back cals if you burn below 1200. You'll adjust soon, you'll be fine. We're all here to support you! :heart: