How to lose 10, 20, 30 pounds in so many months?

Options
Hey you guys,
I'm HORRIBLE at math. So, when I finally found a website that actually broke down the numbers on how to lose weight, I was pretty thrilled!
My attempt in November to lose a certain amount failed. I ate horrible. But, I'm not discouraged, just disappointed. Time to try it again for December :)

Anyway, if you ever wanted to lose 10 pounds in 30 days, or 15 pounds in 50 days or whatever, here's the math :) I hope this helps those who have a problem understanding and just need the nitty gritty broken down:

The facts:
3,500 calories equals 1 pound.

The math:
Let's say you want to lose 10 pounds in 30 days.
If 3,500 calories equals 1 pound and you need to lose 10 pounds you multiply 3,500 by 10. (3,500 x 10 = 35,000)
• You need to burn 35,000 calories in 30 days. How much is that a day? (35,000 ÷ 30 = 1,166)
• You need a 1,166 calorie deficit a day to make your goal
{Note: If you want to lose 15 pounds in 45 days or 22 pounds in 60 days, just replace the numbers.}

Now that you have that number, figure out how many calories you will be taking in for that 30 day period.
Let's say you decided to take in 1,400 calories a day.
The math here is add the deficit (1,166) to your daily calorie intake 1400: so, (1400 + 1166 = 2,566)
• You need to burn 2,566 calories a day to make your goal.

The great news! People burn TONS of calories a day just by breathing, driving a car, etc.

So, what's next?

Figure out your BMR (basal metabolic rate) so you know what you need to really burn through exercise alone.
Let's say your BMR is 1800. Here is what you need to burn through exercise alone...the math: (2566 - 1800 = 766)
• You would need to burn 766 calories a day through exercise of whatever kind in order to lose 10 pounds in 30 days.

Something to remember:
This is only math and calories. This is not taking into account hard core workouts like high intensity interval training. So, if you go on the treadmill and stayed on it until you burned 766 calories (if that was your end number) you'd lose your 10 pounds in 30 days.

*Weightlifting adds muscle and muscle burns even MORE calories :D

By the way, for those not familiar with BMR or how to find out yours, My Fitness Pal has a calculator:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Hope this helps! It definitely helped me and made me feel TONS better to know what I just need to do. Now, if only I just get my butt in gear and do it! lol!

Replies

• sanvanhaaften
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this info! :flowerforyou:
  • PamelaDe1323
    PamelaDe1323 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    LOVE YOU FOR THIS
  • GabyG69
    GabyG69 Posts: 213
    Options
    This is great. Thank you! :)
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!!!!!! =D
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Cool post!

Thank you :)
  • ashleyg2688
    ashleyg2688 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So helpful! gives me hope to lose 10 pounds fast!
  • LaColombicana
    LaColombicana Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks a million!
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The people that would just take this info as is would end up eating around 400 calories lower than their BMR...? Where is the "o noez starvation mode hair falling out end of life" crowd? :)

This post isn't about trying to give common sense. lol! For those that would eat barely nothing to lose quickly, they will soon learn of "starvation mode" and how the body won't lose a thing and hold on to all fat and lose the muscle purposefully.

This post is for those that just want to know the deal. The math behind it all.

People have to study and really find out the healthy way of doing things. This post is just to show how much they will lose on their plan. That's all. This is the math behind it. I would hope the common sense is that people would study to learn what to eat and how to workout and NOT turn to the "oh, i can eat 200 calories today and burn a ton." Doesn't work like that.
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You're welcome you guys!!!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    cute lol. It is simple math. Common sense is another story in terms of what's good for us and what's reasonable to lose.
  • mariarose88
    Options
    Thanks!
  • JulieMGentile
    Options
    So after reading this, if I take in 1000 calories a day, calculate it all,it shows I need to burn 1132 calories to loose the 10lbsin a 30 day period. Hmmm this discourages me. I do a 30 minute shred and that's not nearly as many calories burnt, feel like I have to work out all day to loose it.
  • edaiutolo
    Options
    This was so helpful! I've searched for these answers everywhere and this was the easiest to understand with the best information! This has helped me become more motivated and I feel more in-control of my weight loss goals!!
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is very informative - but a tad discouraging as well in the regards that when I do that math I need to burn 1390 cals/day... there's no way I can do that everyday - I have a desk job and while I ALWAYS take the stairs (I work on the 4th floor) and will be walking to/from work now that the nicer weather is here - even with a 30-45 min workout I won't get to that level of burn... but at least I'll get SOME weight off...

Thanks for the info :)
  • ohoyotohbi
    ohoyotohbi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me, This. Is. Awesome! :smile:
  • joycemay1
    joycemay1 Posts: 1
    Options
    awesome post ...keep it up
    thanks