Opinions on Sugar...

Options
"The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends limiting the amount of added sugars you consume to no more than half of your daily discretionary calories allowance. For most American women, that’s no more than 100 calories per day, or about 6 teaspoons of sugar. For men, it’s 150 calories per day, or about 9 teaspoons. The AHA recommendations focus on all added sugars, without singling out any particular types such as high-fructose corn syrup."

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Sugars-and-Carbohydrates_UCM_303296_Article.jsp

So if a woman is supposed to have no more than 9 teaspoons of added sugar a day, that equates out to:
Amount : 9 teaspoons (tsp of raw sugar)
Equals : 46.87 grams (g / raw sugar)
Which is what MFP measures in.

So I am just trying to gather everyones opinions on sugar intake because I am rather lost. Fruit contains a lot of natural sugar, is this fine for me to eat as much as I want? I understand that cereals and sweetened things obviously contain a lot of added sugars and these are what make up my daily "tally" of sugar.

How do you guys deal with your sugar? Any opinions appreciated :)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    You lost me the AHA.......regardless, added sugar will depend on your goals. Are you sedentary or are you a long distance runner, do you consume 1200 calories a day or 4000, variables likke this will make a difference. As far as sugars found in fruits and vegetables as long as these fit into your nutritional goals, your fine.
  • InPieces3
    Options
    Someone told me about sugar a few weeks back and maybe that was why I wasn't losing weight. Honestly I never paid attention to my sugar on here, I just paid the most attention to carbs, fiber, protein and fat. BUT, when I went back over my diary for the previous month, I was WAY over on my sugar. And I wasn't eating crappy things either, but sugar is hidden in a lot of our foods. Since I have started watching, I stay under 46 grams daily and I've noticed a difference.

Personally (and this is only MY opinion, not that it would mean much to you or anyone else), I would say watch your sugar intake... and when you add fruit to the mfp journal, it will come up and you can really just go from there on how much fruit you should be taking in. I love MFP because it takes the guess work out of most of these things..it does it for you.

I wish you the best. :smile:
  • samsung700
    samsung700 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You lost me the AHA.......regardless, added sugar will depend on your goals. Are you sedentary or are you a long distance runner, do you consume 1200 calories a day or 4000, variables likke this will make a difference. As far as sugars found in fruits and vegetables as long as these fit into your nutritional goals, your fine.

The AHA was just a reference I could find on the internet. There isn't much guidance out there regarding sugar intake.

I consume about 1300 calories a day and workout 3-4 times a week. I mainly do cardio but am starting to educate myself on lifting.
  • samsung700
    Options
    Thank you for your kind opinion :) That was exactly what I was looking for.
    Good luck to you!
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started tracking my sugar, because I get really bad headaches. When I was at my son's birthday party I noticed a correlation between eating a piece of cake loaded with sugar and a headache soon after. Sugar is in everything from milk, to ketchup, to tomato soup....I really pay attention to this now and make smarter choices. My head feels better, I'm not so sure about the scale yet, we shall see.....
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I avoid added sugar as much as possible, the only sweet things I have are fruit (which are great as desert but also high in calories so you have to be careful). I think refined sugar is terrible for you and can cause a huge variety of health problems including the exacerbation of skin conditions such as acne and eczema. Best to avoid it as much as possible in my opinion!
  • kristen110
    Options
    Ive just finished reading the book Sweet Poision. It basically explains the background behind why it makes you fat and it goes into detail about the huge increase in sugar intake and obese people over the past 100 or so years. It is very interesting... I have the biggest sweet tooth and think that it is my biggest downfall. I have tried to keep my sugar intake low and only getting it from frest fruit over the past week and I have seen a difference. Ive ordered the next book which is a plan to help you cut out sugar from your diet as it is a struggle and I need all the help I can get... I recommend you read it :)
  • samsung700
    Options
    Ive just finished reading the book Sweet Poision. It basically explains the background behind why it makes you fat and it goes into detail about the huge increase in sugar intake and obese people over the past 100 or so years. It is very interesting... I have the biggest sweet tooth and think that it is my biggest downfall. I have tried to keep my sugar intake low and only getting it from frest fruit over the past week and I have seen a difference. Ive ordered the next book which is a plan to help you cut out sugar from your diet as it is a struggle and I need all the help I can get... I recommend you read it :)

That sounds like an excellent and educational read! Thank you for that and I wish you much luck!!!
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've read sweet poison! its a great read! an absolute MUST if you're trying to increase your health and lose weight.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    This may or may not apply to you, but I found interesting:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html

I don't really worry about where my carbs are coming from now and that seems to be working fine for me.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Sugar found in fruits is okay, according to Jeff Novick and other plant-based diet promoters because these fruits are packaged along with fiber and water. They are calorie dilute and will satisfy your body's craving for sugars because the fiber and water help fill your stomach. When you eat sugar from a refined product, say chocolate, you are receiving sugar without the fiber and without water. Essentially, concentrated and unobstructed sugar.

I would say get your sugar from natural sources (not refined-processed foods) and you'll be okay. Why? for example, a 2 pound pineapple has the same calories than a 4 ounce gummy bear (it's 4 am and I believe it is either 4 or 2 ounce gummy bear, but either way it's a low number). The difference being, to eat a 2 pound pineapple will fill your stomach up faster than the gummy bear. You will get full eating the pineapple, I suspect. You will over-eat on the gummy bear.