Does anyone ever get dizzy with exercise?

Options
Hello all. Does anyone ever get dizzy with exercise? I was in Zumba class tonight and had to stop for a few more drinks than usual because I got dizzy with the aerobic dancing. It's happened a couple of other times, so I simply thought maybe I was dehydrated. So, today, all day, I increased my fluid intake. I'm currently drinking half my body weight in ounces. So, I'm drinking 104 oz of H2O daily. Am I crazy or should I make a doctor's appt?

Thanks for reading.:noway:

Replies

• bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the cause is - I only get dizzy if I go CRAZY hard on the treadmill, but every time I do overhead presses on my lifting days, I get super light-headed and feel like passing out.

Will be very interested to hear what others have to say about this!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Eat 30 minutes before your workout, something with a lot of carbs (They are burned off easily and give you a boost of energy). A nature valley trail mix bar with nuts and cranberries is a good example of a pre workout boost
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I experience that quite often. Usually after an intense spin session and sometimes when lifting. Tonight it happened after box squats. I can't wait to hear the reasons this happens and preventive measures, if any.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have gotten dizzy and felt nausea with exercise before but only when it meets the following conditions:

1. I'm working too hard
    2. I've worked out every day for several days in a row
    3. I've not eaten enough food (esp. pre-breakfast workouts)

I'd try eating a snack (think apple, or another piece of fruit) and drinking some more water. If it happens again, go see the doctor.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It is probably nothing to worry about but a visit to your primary care doctor would not hurt. They will likely do a physical exam and blood work just to be on the safe side.
  • tat2dzombiegirl
    tat2dzombiegirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Keep a snack on hand and try eating 30min before you workout. It happened to me during my time of the month a few days in a row last month. I was staying too busy and forgetting to eat before the gym. I had went 6 hours or so without eating then working out. Look up low blood sugar or hypoglycemia.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    i get dizzies when i do not eat and drink before or drink during. So lots of water and a protein/carb snack before working out
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor about it?

I experienced two fainting spells a little while ago after some exercise. I went to the doctors for a check up and he said that it was most likely a sudden change in blood pressure (like standing up too fast). In the case of a buddy of mine, he got dizzy after getting off the bench after bench pressing. He was taking blood pressure lowering medication and his doctor adjusted his medication to NOTHING. He lost enough weight that he didn't need it anymore.

Good luck!
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you are dizzy-weak, I would think it is food or water that you need. I was getting dizzy off and on and ended up passing out on a treadmill. Weird---I am 70 lbs overweight but I have a slow (marathon runner slow) heart rate and low blood pressure. HR is 46 and BP is 90/50. Anyhooooo....after being told "nothing was wrong with me" and several tests later, I have neurocardiogenic syncope. No biggie really. BUT, under stress my brain tells my heart to slow down instead of speed up. Basically, my electric is off...not my plumbing.
    It wasn't until my 3rd doc that we found out why I kept feeling dizzy. A tilt-table test is what did the trick for me.
  • Aim4skinnyjeans
    Aim4skinnyjeans Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far. To answer some of the questions/advice...I did eat 1 hr b4 the workout. I had some of those Tofu Shirataki Noodles w/ some fat free cheese and balsamic vinegar. Y'all are right, it wouldln't hurt to go see my primary doctor. I guess, I was just hoping that I wasn't alone and that others had experienced this too during extreme workouts.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the input:flowerforyou:
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    @ tomomatic
    That is basically what happens to me but since mine is low, when it drops---I pass out. :)
  • Aim4skinnyjeans
    Aim4skinnyjeans Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @tomomatic...Congrats to your friend...that's an awesome NSV!
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get this. Low blood pressure. Drink water with electrolites.
  • ynotcycle
    ynotcycle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am by NO means an expert, but your describing drinking alot of water and feeling dizzy reminded me of something a friend told me at some point. Basically I think he was saying you can drink to much water, which throws off your electrolytes, and I think he said sodium also. A quick Google found something called water intoxication.

Just food for thought, If I am way off base someone feel free to edumacate me. At this point I would go get some blood work done and figure out if I have an imbalance or deficiency. Hope you get it sorted out!

One post I found said this:

"You're drinking too much water - dizziness is a classic sign of water intoxication, which can be deadly. Body cramps all over, a sensation of being choked, and pain in your chest - like a heart attack, will be your next signs you're in deep trouble.

What you need to do is get a couple of bottles of Gatorade in you over the next 24-48 hours, and always keep a spare or two in the house. You must consume salt because you've diluted it out with too much water. Also eat some spinach, bananas, and a little chicken as these will help to rebalance you. "
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned, you may not be eating enough before your workout. Another thing to consider is how you're breathing. It sounds silly to think about that, but I know that in my experience I sometimes push myself and forget to take a breath or exhale while I'm doing a particularly hard exercise. Or perhaps the pace of the workout is too high - there's nothing wrong with easing yourself along.
  • coops9999
    coops9999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am going to throw in my two cents... I used to experience this as well, had to stop during a class before I fell over, and it turned out to be sinus congestion! I didn't know at the time but I have allergies and pressure was building up in my sinuses and causing a few issues. I didn't feel 'bunged' up and I had never had allergies before but moving to a different area/climate had caused it. My Dr prescribed Allegra-D and I use a Neti Pot (explore the risks) occasionally, and have not had the issue again since.

Might be an out of left field reason, but worth checking if you are doing everything else correctly as previous posters have mentioned.