Realistic weight loss

Options
How much weight could I realistically lose in 7 and a half months?
Just looking for opinions. :)

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    How much weight could I realistically lose in 7 and a half months?
    Just looking for opinions. :)

It depends on how much body fat you have to lose. As you become leaner, it tends to get a bit more difficult to shed body fat.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    With where you are at right now you could probably lose anywhere between 55 and 80 pounds. Generally, people who have a higher starting weight lose quicker at first. You can easily lose 3 pounds or more a week at 300 pounds.
    If you keep up with your calorie limit and get in some exercise you could lose 10 pounds a month for a while I bet. Food is the most important key here.
    I used to be 200 and was able to drop 70 pounds in about a years time, I cheated a lot and struggled along the way though, otherwise I think I would have lost it quicker.
  • nerchk
    nerchk Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    With where you are at right now you could probably lose anywhere between 55 and 80 pounds. Generally, people who have a higher starting weight lose quicker at first. You can easily lose 3 pounds or more a week at 300 pounds.
    If you keep up with your calorie limit and get in some exercise you could lose 10 pounds a month for a while I bet. Food is the most important key here.
    I used to be 200 and was able to drop 70 pounds in about a years time, I cheated a lot and struggled along the way though, otherwise I think I would have lost it quicker.

I agree with you. Its all about discipline.
  • shoemaker2189
    Options
    I went from 202 to 147 in six months. Long as you make sure to get your workouts in eat healthy foods and try to stay on track the fat will melt off in the beginning, but like they said the smaller you get though the harder it becomes. Also don't starve yourself try to give yourself a cheat day once a week or every two weeks to kill the cravings
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 1.5 pounds a week over four months.

Seven and a half months = 32.5 weeks = 49 pounds

You could realistically lose about 50 lbs by combining diet and exercise.

Most people prefer to lose around 1 lb a week. If you followed a slower plan, you could lose about 33 pounds.
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It does depend on your activity level, body type and willingness to stay focused. But I would say 1-3lb a week is COMPLETELY realistic. When I was eating right and working out 4 days a week I consistently lost 1.8lb a week. So, 30-80lbs if you pushed really hard.
  • robertlugg
    robertlugg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but you did ask for opinions :)

The main reason why you might NOT lose is because you stop trying. What that means to me is don't push yourself. If you try really, really hard, you will burn out.

Also, sometimes it doesn't always work...you try hard, but nothing happens for a while. For me the trick is to work hard, but not so much that you hate exercising and hate restricting your calories. Plus, I find if I starve myself, I can do it for a couple of days, but then I end up binging within a week.

So, my advice is this: Fill out your profile and say you want to lose 1.5 lbs/week (you can adjust this after the first month if its too little or too much). Then try to hit that calorie count pretty close. This means DON"T EAT LESS than what it says...just do exactly what is says and track your progress for a while. Within 1 month, I'm sure you will see a difference in yourself.

I look at exercise as having two benefits. First, you can eat a bit more since you burned those calories in exercise (different people have different opinions on this...and I'm not sure). Second, when you build muscles, they burn more calories...even when you aren't exercising.

i never did answer your question. I think a goal is a great motivator, but even if you lose 1 pound you are making progress. Just don't give up and it will happen. I hope this helps :) My final suggestion is to not question IF something is possible. But, but work towards a goal day-by-day. Good luck !
  • Jade021996
    Options
    It depends on how heavy you are, i lost 60 for 7 months, because i had THAT much to lose.
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    60 - 80 pounds with 30 minutes exercise a day at 1300 calories. 2 hours exercise is extremely excessive and you will not maintain it for 3 weeks never mind 7 months at 1300 calories. 30 minutes will be plenty.
    Good luck. Green veg, eggs, fish and meat, no starchy foods, breads, pastas cereals potatoes etc even if you are calorie counting.