Help with that awkward feeling

Options
Hi :) I am trying to lose weight and I go for walk's daily, but now I want to take a step ahead and run and burn more. The only thing which is setting me back is that awkward feeling..... God its been age's I haven't run..... And then running in front of so many people with my fat burden(extra 40lbs) that's so shamefull! Pls help me with it..... PS I don have any other place where people are limited, I can't even go at night because of my family restrictions :/ I just want to run freely but I can't because of that awkward feeling :(

Replies

• Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I had that feeling for a very long time, and then I think to myself, when I see other people (even if they are overweight) running, I don't judge them or think anything of it really. Also just doing it is the best thing you can do. Put some music on and just let all those awkward thoughts go away. Trust me I am suuuuuper self conscious, but after just making myself do it, I don't think twice anymore.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere about somebody running with a carrier bag to look like they were late for something!

Good luck with your running. Once you start I don't think other peoples reactions will worry you as you whizz past them!
  • HDimple
    Options
    Don u guys think that people will laugh on me :/
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    No I think they'll think good for her for trying to be healthy and if they do laugh at you guess what? They are shallow and their opinions shouldn't matter to you anyways. What matters is you know that you are doing what you need to do to get healthier!
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Why don't you try intervals, ie wind sprints. Walk for 1 min, the sprint for 30 sec. That way it doesn't make you feel awkward because alot of people do it, and it actually burns more calories in the long run.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Just do it" when i run i can feel my *kitten* wobbling all over the place LOL but really i could give a ****" i wear a hat and sunnies and my ipod and start running and i love it.. I live in working town so heaps of trucks/cars go by "they can look all they want:)
  • HDimple
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
    I ll definitely run today
    Wind Sprints looks promising and less tiring :D
    I ll surely surely won't think bout others and just run :)
    thanks a lot guys
  • HDimple
    Options
    Ha ha :)
    yes I will :)
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good on you for wanting to step it up from walking to running. No way will they laugh. I am now a seasoned runner and of a healthy build, just this week I saw a heavier woman running out my kitchen window and I was so stoked for her and think I even said out loud good on her to my hubby. Everyone has to start somewhere and as you see improvements your confidence will grow. Do it, you'll thank yourself
  • lolaviex
    Options
    If you're unable to go at night, what about early in the morning?
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    don't laugh.....but when i was running, i felt the same way....and i started wearing a hooded sweatshirt. it kinda made me feel protected from everyone's glances - - and plus it made me sweat more, so i lost even more weight lol.

but in the end, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of you - - only what you think of yourself.

but try the hood - - it might get you thru the first couple times before you get that confidence, girl!
  • HDimple
    Options
    Lol even I was thinking bout the hooded sweatshirt thing lol :D:D:D
    early mornings damn that place is full all time :D:D

seriously you all motivated me :):)

hailz I wish everyone was like u :)<3
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Everyone you pass will probably be thinking something positive and willing you on. I started to try and get fit with walking in my lunch break, then I started couch to 5k last week! Day 1 felt a little strange but since then I have been feeling fabulous (and knackered) after each walk/jog, the fabulous feeling lasts longer!!!
  • HDimple
    Options
    :) yes I read bout couch to 5k on Tumblr
    :) I ll try it
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    "Care about what other people think and you will be their prisoner" -Lao Tzu

Go get it girl! And if people stare, shoot them a look and say, "What are YOU staring at?" I wear sunglasses when I run so I don't have to look at people. I just run on by--and my boobs go everywhere when I'm running! (I have big boobs) I'm like, "Whatever, stare if you want, I'm trying to run here!" Go get your workout and don't care about what other people think!

And if people laugh at you (which they probably wont) go crazy *kitten* on them! They'll never do it again :wink:
    (or flick them off. Sometimes I want to do that to cars that honk at me)
  • HDimple
    Options
    ok so today i ran for 20 min :):):)
    thanks for ur support :)
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Good job!! I was gonna say put some headphones in, a determined look on your face and do it. I am heavier and i run 3 times a week. I figure if my face looks confident even if I am not then noone will know!! I have been running for 6 weeks and I havent had one bad stare or comment. When I see someone run who is going slow and struggling I always think/say that at least they are out there doing something about it instead of sitting on the couch griping about it! Keep it up :)
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago, I saw a very overweight woman running. She was struggling, jiggling, and in general, running very awkwardly. However, As I got closer, I could read her T-shirt, and it said, " I'm 45. I am 70 lbs overweight. I have bad knees. BUT I AM RUNNING. What's your excuse?"

She's my G-D warrior hero, and she's fabulous. Get it, HDimple.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Well done, keep it up!! :))
  • autumn_duo
    autumn_duo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am overweight (for now) but I am also a runner....I just finished my 13th road race (11 5k's, one 10k, and one 5-miler) this past Sunday.

I don't give a crap if people laugh at me...The laugher is probably sitting in their car shoving a donut in their face, so let them laugh. I live in a small-ish urban town and everyone seems to know everyone, at least once or twice every time I run, someone I know beeps and waves....Sometimes I wonder what I must look like 40 lbs overweight and running, what the hell is jiggling and wiggling on my body. But those jiggle wiggles will soon be gone and and I hope I will be an inspiration to all those fat laughers....