Alternate Day Fasting / Intermittent Fasting Buddies :)

Just started alternate day fasting and was wondering if anyone else has done it or is doing it :)

Replies

• Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    I do and I love it! Feel free to add me. :)
  • fatgrape
    fatgrape Posts: 11 Member
    Me too - just been advocating it on another post. I think it's fantastic, and wish I'd done it years ago.
  • izzyooo
    izzyooo Posts: 24 Member
    How long have you both been doing it for? I only started Monday but I think this will work better for me than stressing about what I eat every day!
  • fatgrape
    I'm on week 4, and think it's fantastic. By the middle of the second week, I didn't feel hungry at all, and weirdly, I don't get the tummy rumbles any more (which I miss!). I try to eat nothing on fast days (some advocate 500 calories), but if I get hungry or grumpy, then I'll eat - I'm trying to lose weight not punish myself.

Incentive for me, is that you can eat what you want on your standard days, so you always have that to look forward to as a near goal. Plus, I treat myself to a very good lunch, because as I see it, my food bills have halved, so I can splash out. Had a fantastic extravagant sushi yesterday, which I'd never dream of on a weekday.

Only problem I found was the weekend, so I now fast Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 2000 calories Saturday and Sunday, and lard pastries Tuesday and Thursday. Helps that I'm a bit obsessive about calorie counting, but using the app means it's no chore.
  • izzyooo
    I'm also trying to not eat anything on the fast days but will allow myself 500 if necessary so that I don't feel too hard done by! It's nice to hear that it gets easier, my first day was horribly depressing! I didn't eat as much as i thought I would the day after though and (so far) am managing to keep to the weekly average set by MFP which I'm happy with.

I can see the weekends being a problem for me as the family roast on Sunday doesn't want to become an alternate Sunday thing so I expect I'll stick to around 1400 Saturday and Sunday which again will keep my weekly average on target.

I'm also rather obsessive with the calorie counting after years of (failed) diets!
  • fatgrape
    Weekends are problematic, because it just draws attention to yourself, and you look a miserable bugger if everyone is eating, especially if you go out. I also like cooking., so weekends in the kitchen are fun for me.

Only other issue, concerning cooking, is to spend ages making a meal and then not eat it. Haven't found a solution to that yet.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Be sure to do ADF correctly.
    Your regular eating days are not at a deficit.
    Its at TDEE.

IE: when I do a 5:2 week my weekly TDEE is 17200.

17200/5=3440
    I need 500ish cals on fasted days so lets say 2800 on regular days.

If you are going to fast, fast correctly!
    Andy Morgan puts it in a nice way here http://rippedbody.jp/2012/11/28/can-i-lengthen-my-fasting-window/
  • izzyooo
    I didn't understand all of your abbreviations there but I've calculated my weekly maximum at 9800 calories so I can have 500 on fasting days and then 2300 on eating days.
  • izzyooo
    Ok so i've got my TDEE and its 15,876... So my eating days are about right... I think.
  • fatgrape
    I must confess that I haven't been clinical in working out what my daily should be on a normal day, as the premise for me is that if I want it, I'll eat it! But, the desire to eat a bath tub full of cheese (those were the days!) is curbed by the weight loss - so pleased with what I've lost so far, that I don't really want to blow it, but I'm not going to restrict myself either. Everything in moderation....
  • izzyooo
    I think that's probably the best way to do it because I know I find myself wanting everything more when I'm not allowed it! Well I completed yesterday at 521 calories which I'm happy with and now enjoying a "food" day :)
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    I have been fasting every day till about 5pm and eating all my calories in one meal during my most hungry time of day. That way I feel the skinny empty feeling as well as the full satisfied feeling. I really love exercising fasted :). The great thing about fasting is that it is sooo flexible. Feel free to add me.
  • I try and fast 2 days a week i.e 5:2 plan. When I manage it I feel great and amzingly I never feel hungry on 500 cals. I just need to sort my life so I have fixed days for doing it. I will continue my efforts and not give up.

I would like some fasting buddies
  • Hi, please fill me in on this "intermittent fasting" I am confused, yet interested...what exactly is the purpose and benefits of doing this?
    Thanks, Brit
  • izzyooo
    Hi Brit,

I'm no expert so please nobody jump at me if I'm not 100% accurate! Basically it involves fasting on alternate days, so fast/eat/fast/eat and so on. However you don't go completely hungry, men should allow themselves 600 calories and women 500 although I'm sure that must be variable depending on each individuals size etc. On your eating days you can relax and eat normally without having to stress about calorie counting or not being able to eat the foods you really like. I think it's amazing because I don't feel like I'm constantly suffering, I just have to get through to the next day :) Obviously you shouldn't purposely overeat on your eating days but I've found that I don't feel like I need to anyway.

I don't want to make claims I can't back up but google alternate day fasting or up day down day because recent studies have suggested there are a huge amount of health benefits to fasting.
  • Please add me.
  • BineB
    BineB Posts: 5
    I've startet 10in2 on Monday.
    Thats: 1= eat and 0=fast in 2 Days.

But I don't do it on the weekends.
    The important thing is to fasten the complete 36 hours - for health reasons like cell-renewal.

So thats how my week looks like:

Monday = 0 Cal (just water & tea)
    Tuesday = up to 2000 Cal
    Wednesday = 0 Cal
    Thursday = up to 2000 Cal
    Friday = 0 Cal

Saturday = up to 2000 Cal
    Sunday = up to 2000 Cal

My friend preferes the 24h-fast version: she eats on a fast-day a light dinner and up to 2000 Cal the next day.
    That also works for her ;-)
  • Also trying to get into this, so if any one of you want to add me, please do! I feel great so far and hoping to get into it as a life time change.
  • SteveFors
    SteveFors Posts: 8 Member
    I like the 5:2 fasting schedule, I diet mainly to stay within my BMI top range of 25 so a big weight loss is not my goal.
    Alternate fasting has some great side benefits in that it is supposed to boost your immune system and increase longevity.
    The fasting days are hard though