Female, 24, looking for tips and motivation!

Options
OK, so I'm totally new to the whole MyFitnessPal thing, but loving it! Only just started on here yesterday. Haven't even worked on my profile yet! AAAH! Will try and stick a photo up tonight, HAHA!

Anyway, so, I'm not a stranger to exercise or dieting, but I know I have a LOOOOOONG journey ahead of me. I'm currently around 120kg (265 pounds), and I have a goal to get down to 70kg (155 pounds) and stay there. I've managed to lose 30kg (65 pounds) on my own before now, and I feel like MyFitnessPal is just what I need to get back up on my horse, and stay on it.

I kind of feel in my head like my goal is pretty farfetched, so I'm wondering if there's anybody out there who has had the same kind of goals as myself, and has succeeded, who could maybe give me some tips, pointers, and hope that it is actually possible! Also, any tips on how to keep skin toned through the weight loss journey would be warmly accepted.

Looking forward to the journey, and making some new friends along the way! :wink:

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ooh - I havent succeeded yet, but I'm well on my way! I started at 268 pounds and I'm now down to 197, and looking to be about 160. It's totally doable! And I certainly couldn't have done it without this site.
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is completely possible! My ticker tells my story. MFP is amazing.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    hii i started at 136 kgs and i am down to 115 right now.My goal weight is 85 kgs and Hell yea! its possible.heck i am not gonna be satisfied untill i get rock hard abs one day all thanks to mfp :)
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat too! I started dieting after my honeymoon and started at 205 lbs. My goal is to get back to my healthy weight of 155 lbs. Currently I'm 196.4 lbs so the scale is starting to move again! I've been struggling for the past year to get out of the 195-205 range and I decided to join here to help me stay on track.

These are some of my favorite tips that are helping the scale finally move again!:

- Eat off of smaller plates and use the largest forks and spoons you have. It always makes me feel like I'm eating more and I've always been a member of the clean plate club so having a smaller plate helps my portion control.

- Measure, measure, measure! It is a pain in the butt but it works! My measuring cups have been my best friends. Also try to take mental notes on where the serving size comes up to on the bowl. I do this in the morning with cereal. I like to substitute the milk for light and fit vanilla yogurt. It's tangy and makes me feel fuller longer!

- Find a workout you enjoy. For me it was running, but ever since I hit 200 lbs and have more weight on my thighs my knees and legs ache so I'm using Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred to build the muscle up and lose extra so I can run again. This DVD is awesome because it's only 20 minutes but you work your butt off and WILL be sore as all get out the next day. I've lost weight with it before in college and the best part is building the muscle and feeling strong. It hurts and I whine at the TV all the way but the last cardio circuit I feel strong and proud that I made it through another day.

- BE PATIENT. This is one tip that I have problems with. I always expect to lose 10 pounds in a week and that is not healthy. It will come off, it just takes time and effort. One craft on pinterest has you get large colored stones and two jars with amount of weight to go and amount of weight lost. Each stone is a pound and to me it is extremely motivating when you can move one or two of the stones from the "weight to go" jar to the "amount of weight lost" jar.

- You will fail sometimes. You will get a burger because it is just darned tasty. We cannot live on kale chips alone! Just remember that when you fall off to keep going. It is only going to hurt more by blaming yourself. When I overeat (like at Thanksgiving), I just tell myself that yes two servings of turkey and gravy wasn't the best decision and because of it I'm probably not going to move the scale much, but if I give up the scale will never move or move in the opposite direction. NEVER GIVE UP!

I hope some of those tips help. I've been overweight most of my life except for when I was in college so I completely understand the struggle. You can do it!! Take one day at a time and try to make the best choices you can.
  • erinkhalsa
    erinkhalsa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I just started here about a week ago and I love it! I wish I would have done it sooner. I am 24 as well. I have never been extremely heavy but I have struggled with motivation to eat healthy and exercise my whole life. I bounce between being extremely athletic and healthy to not caring, but I've been doing pretty well for a while now. If you want advice on anything let me know! Good luck to you on your journey :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    One craft on pinterest has you get large colored stones and two jars with amount of weight to go and amount of weight lost. Each stone is a pound and to me it is extremely motivating when you can move one or two of the stones from the "weight to go" jar to the "amount of weight lost" jar.

That is an absolutely awesome idea.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I can offer a few tips that have helped me so far.

Spread out your calories in smaller meals over the day. Don't go too long without food.

If you want to eat junk, go ahead. Just count it. The only thing that matters is creating a deficit.

Don't start at 1200 calories. Heavier people will lose weight fast with minor cuts to their food.

Don't exercise too much when you first begin. Get your body used to it over time.

Do consider lifting weights as your weight goes down.

Avoid high impact activities (hurts the knees) until you are a lower weight. Try lower stuff like walking, swimming, or the elliptical.
  • ShiftySellin
    Options
    Hey team keep up the good work. Don't be frightened to see I have not lost weight, because I don't need to lose much. But seeing all the progress you all are making is great. Keep up the good work. Let's DO IT!
  • Pugcutey
    Pugcutey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just joined yesterday, but I started out at 285 pounds and am now at 184. I did it by eating healthier than what I was before and exercising 5 days a week. Eat small meals through tout the day and don't let yourself get too hungry. It is definitely possible. I know you can do it. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. I want to lose about 30 more pounds and we could encourage each other.
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    - Measure, measure, measure! It is a pain in the butt but it works! My measuring cups have been my best friends. Also try to take mental notes on where the serving size comes up to on the bowl. I do this in the morning with cereal. I like to substitute the milk for light and fit vanilla yogurt. It's tangy and makes me feel fuller longer!

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I measure everything, too. I use measuring cups and a digital food scale. They're wonderful....and only about $20. I thought I was pretty good at estimating portion size and I was completely off! Weighing and measuring portions works!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I just started using MFP about a month ago and I've lost 8 pounds. I can tell an even bigger different in how I feel and how my clothes are fitting though, just after a short period of time. My starting weight was 228 lbs and my goal weight is somewhere between 130-140 depending on how I feel when I get down that far. (I haven't been there in about 10 years!) It's definitely possible though. It's amazing some of the success stories you read on this site. It just takes a serious commitment to tracking and logging everything you eat and drink and being honest. Also having MFP friends for motivation is a great idea too. Feel free to add me if you would like. :smile:
  • LatteFix
    Options
    Hi all, really great advice here.. I'm oso 24 and have about 15kg to lose :(

Please do add me and we can give each other support and tips!

I may just go do the colored stones in 2 jars experiment!
  • AmyLou_21
    AmyLou_21 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

I lost a stone before joining MFP, and then another 12 lbs after joining! However I put on 7 lbs after going on holiday (oh the shame :( .....)! Like you am looking for motivation to get me back on track! Your goal is totally do-able...just take small steps ! I will add you now :)

Good luck :)

(I am 5' 8"....did weigh 196 lbs, went down to 169 lbs, and now weigh 180 lbs)
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

I'm also 24 and I have started using MFP 3 months ago (and a week, almost). I started at 95 kg and now I am slowly approaching 87 kg. Can wait for the next months!

If you decided to use MFP, I advise you to use it at his best. Set your real lifestyle. Choose realistics weight loss goals. For the starters, at your weight, 2 pounds a week should be appropiate. For now. Remmeber, as you loose try to lower your goal.
    If you don't have, buy a scale and weight everything you eat. It's a terrible chore to pack foods and cook on weekends for the next day, especially when you are young. But it is worth it. Not knowing what you will eat next may lead to bad decisions. Work out.

Working out, losing weight slowly and using natural cosmetic oils for you skin may help you to have a great skin, especially on areas you have lots of fat now. But remember that strech marks are quite impossible to avoid. You will probably have some after this loss. But it is worth it.

And the most important advice that you can get here is to FIND YOUR WAY. There is no magic recipie for this. It depends on your body. It depends on your mind. Find the way it works for you.
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 25, started at 117kg and I'm currently 76. I want to get down to at least 70. You can DEFINITELY do it. As far as skin goes, I've been using palmers cocoa butter, and I think it has helped. Feel free to add me! :)
  • sunbeam88
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback and friend requests so far! It's great to know that so many people are so willing to offer support and encouragement. So many of you have achieved so much so far! You guys are an inspiration! Looking forward to being up there with you all some day! :smile:
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has already hit most of the pointers I'd give out. Just wanted to at least say "Welcome!" Also, you'll soon learn that there is an epidemic that has plagued the users of this site. The symptoms are pretty obvious, and you'll know right away if you've caught the sickness; you will forget how to wear a proper shirt. :laugh: