I keep coming out under!

Options

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    OP has no clue what shes doing.

You arent hungry because of hormonal imbalances.

Take care of your body while you are young!
    Take advantage of your hormonal state!
    these girls have no clue the damage they are doing to their bodies now by restricting calories 1k+ below TDEE when they probably dont have the energy stores to compensate.

They think "I'll be fine! i'm young!" only to find out in their late 20s that they cant have children or they have newly acquired adrenal or CNS issues.

To get in shape you need to force the body to change using proper stress!
    If you want a sleek sexy toned body you need to build lean muscle and lose fat.
    To build muscle you need building blocks in the form of food or drugs.
    you eating the way you do is only going to make you skinny-fat!
    Then youll make a post like "Skinny-fat! How do I fix this?!"
    And we say "Eat you dummy!!! And lift heavy stuff!"
    But instead youll probably tell me i'm crazy and dont know what i'm talking about.
    Meanwhile you spin your wheels while we get in shape.

cant fight it, dan knows what hes talking about. smart *kitten*. haha.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    This thread highlights everything that is wrong with this site on occasion. Young, already very thin girls encouraging each other to net lower and lower amounts of food. If you wish to net dangerously low amounts of food (800) then do it in private please, you do not need to influence young girls by giving them bad advice.

OP you need to eat more, hungry or not. I do not know of ANYONE who feels full after an apple. That in itself should tell you something is wrong. I'm not saying go away and start stuffing yourself, but try and fit in a few more healthy snacks as your calorie count is very low.

Nobody is encouraging anyone else to do low calories. I was simply saying my experience. I said I am not, in any way, suggesting anyone else try it.
  • WhispDoll
    Options
    What I'm wondering is if it's really going to damage my body. I feel like if my body wanted more food, it would tell me that, but it doesn't. I'm always satisfied with what I eat throughout the day, and I never let myself go hungry. I'm trying to lose, as I put on a bit of weight after starting college, although I still live at home.
    My hair is thick, down to my waist and shiny. My nails grow quickly, although break a lot (I just have weak nails and can't have them very long), and my skin is soft, never flaky and completely pimple free. I'm more tired now than I was in summer, but I also suffer seasonal depression so that's a big part of it.

yes it will damage your body.

VLCD - very low calorie diets = 800ish

CARDIOVASCULAR COMPLICATIONS
    Weight loss from very low-calorie diets in severely obese people has been associated with sudden death from ventricular arrhythmias. Major or rapid weight loss may damage the heart by decreasing muscle fiber size. In addition, deficiencies of protein, electrolytes and micro-nutrients, such as copper, magnesium and potassium, may contribute to a myofibrillar damage. "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" reported the findings of a 1992 study by Janis S Fisler suggesting that weight loss from very low-calorie diets provoked electrocardiogram abnormalities and precipitated acute and fatal arrhythmias in the obese subjects studied.

GASTROINTESTINAL PROBLEMS
    Very low-calorie diets have been shown to affect gastrointestinal and cardiac organ systems. A 1988 study by Eleanor A Young, Ph.D., RD/LD used rats divided into two groups, one of which was fed a low-calorie diet with 23 percent total calories from protein, carbohydrate and fat. Final weights of total body, the liver, small intestines and heart were lower in the diet group and revealed a protein depletion of the gastrointestinal system with a decrease in body nitrogen stores, specifically cardiac muscle, as published in "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition."

GALLBLADDER STONES
    Gallstones, which often develop in obese people, are most common after rapid weight loss. Weight loss may increase cholesterol levels in the gallbladder, which inhibit its ability to contract and expel bile. There may be a correlation with fat intake and gallstone formation as investigated in a 1998 study published in "Digestive Diseases and Sciences" using 272 moderately obese subjects with normal gallbladders who were given 900-calorie per day liquid diets for 13 weeks. The findings were that 17 percent of the group eating 16 g of fat daily developed stones with a weight loss of 18 kg , and 11.2 percent of the group eating 30 g of fat daily developed stones with similar weight loss. The experiment showed that substantial fat for rapid weight-reducing diets resulted in gallstone formation.

so your heart, guts, internal organs in general, your nails, teeth, skin - pretty much everything is in the firing line.

you need to eat more. your body isn't always right.

but hey, if all you really want is people to tell you that eating less than a 2 year old child is good for you, high five! you have nothing to worry about!*

*the above statement is false.

I just went to the doctor and had a full work up - blood/urine/chem lab and a short psych. eval. ... Everything came back normal, with the exception of psych (I've had depression my whole life, so that I am not concerned about), and I've been eating this way for most of my adult life. What's your explanation for that....?

you asked a question. science answered. sorry its not the one you wanted.

*pat on the head* your totally doing it right. you only want to see the for argument, no worries. your 18. you haven't really had any adult life. perhaps you will be totally fine, or perhaps you will get to 30 with depleted muscle mass, osteoporosis and a heart murmur.

moral of the story? dont ask of you dont want to know. capiche?

Let's not talk about who is or is not an adult.... I've been caring for my elderly, sickly father since I was 10 years old, my parents got divorced and she washed her hands of him. I've seen him through four heart surgeries, two back surgeries and several other procedures. I have had to keep tabs on his meds, the food we buy, make sure he's doing his exercises and keep track of his blood pressure, for the better half of my life. To add to this, I now having to take on most of the responsibility for driving and chores because he's going blind and my two older brothers have little to no interest in being engaged in what's going on with him, for stupid, albeit personal reasons.

So the true moral of the story, I believe, is not to make ignorant statements about people you assume to know anything about, lol.

Secondly, I would never encourage anyone to net a few calories as possible. That's silly, and I don't believe I ever said anything to that effect.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This thread highlights everything that is wrong with this site on occasion. Young, already very thin girls encouraging each other to net lower and lower amounts of food. If you wish to net dangerously low amounts of food (800) then do it in private please, you do not need to influence young girls by giving them bad advice.

OP you need to eat more, hungry or not. I do not know of ANYONE who feels full after an apple. That in itself should tell you something is wrong. I'm not saying go away and start stuffing yourself, but try and fit in a few more healthy snacks as your calorie count is very low.
    not an apple but.. half a banana will get me FULL. *shrug*

OP, I've recently moved to trying to maintain so I've upped my calories from 1200 to 1300 and it's doing bizarre things to my cravings. I was on 1200 (but not strict, I'd splurge every now and then, particularly towards the end) for about 10 months and most of the time I was feeling full, happy and had no problems with craving more. Now, I've upped it just 100 kcal per day and I'm RAVENOUS the whole time! most disturbingly of all, I'm craving carbs which before I was indifferent about (always been a non-bready salty treat kind of a girl).
    Edited to add: actually, most days I'd get to about 1000 and think "hmm, what could I eat that wouldn't make me full but would fill up the calories?"

Point being: I suspect that if you deliberately try to match your 1200 kcal per day limit and stick with it every single day (easiest way is to increase your standard portion of almonds, I think), you'll see that the new amount will feel normal to your body. As for what your body needs metabolism-wise, there are actual clinical tests that you can do to determine your BMR; it could be that you're one of those people who simply have a really low metabolism rate. However, unless you know this for sure, there's no reason to think you're any different from the rest of the herd, and in that case eating under 1200 kcal per day is probably not enough.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Just want to add that I often net slightly under 1200, but I go over some days too, which does a bit even out the days I went under.
    Also want to add the days I have netted around 800, were days that I burned a very high amount of calories working out that day. Net calories, not eaten.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Im sorry but 1992, 1988, and 1998 studies are sorta old in my opinion. I read in a more recent study that your body, with proper nutrients, does not use other stores for energy until your body fat gets around, I believe the number was 12% body fat for women.

If you read a read study that says that, it is wrong. It is likely that you got the wrong conclusion.
    You body uses all energy pathways depending on exercise intensity and duration.
    Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP)
    a complex chemical compound formed with the energy released from food and stored in all cells, particularly muscles. Only from the energy released by the breakdown of this compound can the cells perform work. The breakdown of ATP produces energy and ADP (which is 'recycled', see below).

Creatine Phosphate (CP)
    a chemical compound stored in muscle, which when broken down aids in the manufacture of ATP. The combination of ADP and CP produces ATP.

Lactic acid
    The lactic acid system is capable of releasing energy to resynthesise ATP without the involvement of oxygen and is called anaerobic glycolysis (breakdown of carbohydrates). A fatiguing metabolite of the lactic acid system resulting from the incomplete breakdown of glucose can restrict further performance.

Aerobic
    ATP is manufactured from food (mainly sugar and fat). This system produces ATP copiously and is the prime energy source during endurance activities. This is also how the body recovers between bouts of interval/strength training in replenishing ATP stores.

energy_pathways.jpg
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    As for what your body needs metabolism-wise, there are actual clinical tests that you can do to determine your BMR; it could be that you're one of those people who simply have a really low metabolism rate. However, unless you know this for sure, there's no reason to think you're any different from the rest of the herd, and in that case eating under 1200 kcal per day is probably not enough.
    I'm going to add something in regards to BMR/RMR testing that many people need to consider. If you participate in a Resting Metabolic Rate test while chronically restricting calories, the number estimated will be your ADJUSTED RMR - not actual RMR. You would realize this after upping calories to the maximum amount until you have managed to maintain body weight for at least two to three months [at said caloric amount] and then take a second RMR test. The result can be a RMR reading several 100 calories higher than the initial score the longer you allow RMR to return to optimal levels - this will be your true RMR.
  • WhispDoll
    Options

these girls have no clue the damage they are doing to their bodies now by restricting calories 1k+ below TDEE when they probably dont have the energy stores to compensate.

They think "I'll be fine! i'm young!" only to find out in their late 20s that they cant have children or they have newly acquired adrenal or CNS issues.

But instead youll probably tell me i'm crazy and dont know what i'm talking about.

It's not like I'm restricting on purpose... I can't force myself to eat more, it will literally make me sick. Just thinking about food when I'm not truly hungry makes me feel like I'll vomit.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    What I'm wondering is if it's really going to damage my body. I feel like if my body wanted more food, it would tell me that, but it doesn't. I'm always satisfied with what I eat throughout the day, and I never let myself go hungry. I'm trying to lose, as I put on a bit of weight after starting college, although I still live at home.
    My hair is thick, down to my waist and shiny. My nails grow quickly, although break a lot (I just have weak nails and can't have them very long), and my skin is soft, never flaky and completely pimple free. I'm more tired now than I was in summer, but I also suffer seasonal depression so that's a big part of it.

Weight loss from very low-calorie diets in severely obese people has been associated with sudden death from ventricular arrhythmias. Major or rapid weight loss may damage the heart by decreasing muscle fiber size. In addition, deficiencies of protein, electrolytes and micro-nutrients, such as copper, magnesium and potassium, may contribute to a myofibrillar damage. "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" reported the findings of a 1992 study by Janis S Fisler suggesting that weight loss from very low-calorie diets provoked electrocardiogram abnormalities and precipitated acute and fatal arrhythmias in the obese subjects studied.

Very low-calorie diets have been shown to affect gastrointestinal and cardiac organ systems. A 1988 study by Eleanor A Young, Ph.D., RD/LD used rats divided into two groups, one of which was fed a low-calorie diet with 23 percent total calories from protein, carbohydrate and fat. Final weights of total body, the liver, small intestines and heart were lower in the diet group and revealed a protein depletion of the gastrointestinal system with a decrease in body nitrogen stores, specifically cardiac muscle, as published in "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition."

GALLBLADDER STONES
    Gallstones, which often develop in obese people, are most common after rapid weight loss. Weight loss may increase cholesterol levels in the gallbladder, which inhibit its ability to contract and expel bile. There may be a correlation with fat intake and gallstone formation as investigated in a 1998 study published in "Digestive Diseases and Sciences" using 272 moderately obese subjects with normal gallbladders who were given 900-calorie per day liquid diets for 13 weeks. The findings were that 17 percent of the group eating 16 g of fat daily developed stones with a weight loss of 18 kg , and 11.2 percent of the group eating 30 g of fat daily developed stones with similar weight loss. The experiment showed that substantial fat for rapid weight-reducing diets resulted in gallstone formation.

so your heart, guts, internal organs in general, your nails, teeth, skin - pretty much everything is in the firing line.

but hey, if all you really want is people to tell you that eating less than a 2 year old child is good for you, high five! you have nothing to worry about!*

I just went to the doctor and had a full work up - blood/urine/chem lab and a short psych. eval. ... Everything came back normal, with the exception of psych (I've had depression my whole life, so that I am not concerned about), and I've been eating this way for most of my adult life. What's your explanation for that....?

*pat on the head* your totally doing it right. you only want to see the for argument, no worries. your 18. you haven't really had any adult life. perhaps you will be totally fine, or perhaps you will get to 30 with depleted muscle mass, osteoporosis and a heart murmur.

Let's not talk about who is or is not an adult.... I've been caring for my elderly, sickly father since I was 10 years old, my parents got divorced and she washed her hands of him. I've seen him through four heart surgeries, two back surgeries and several other procedures. I have had to keep tabs on his meds, the food we buy, make sure he's doing his exercises and keep track of his blood pressure, for the better half of my life. To add to this, I now having to take on most of the responsibility for driving and chores because he's going blind and my two older brothers have little to no interest in being engaged in what's going on with him, for stupid, albeit personal reasons.

So the true moral of the story, I believe, is not to make ignorant statements about people you assume to know anything about, lol.

Secondly, I would never encourage anyone to net a few calories as possible. That's silly, and I don't believe I ever said anything to that effect.

Well you didn't give this impression in your initial post. You talked about sleeping most of the day and going out with friends so I think we could be forgiven for not knowing the ins and outs of your life in better detail.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

It's not like I'm restricting on purpose... I can't force myself to eat more, it will literally make me sick. Just thinking about food when I'm not truly hungry makes me feel like I'll vomit.

just add a simple thin slice of cheddar to each meal - this will easily net you 150-200 a day without any massive eating commitment on your part. It's a myth that you need to eat a massive amount of extra food to net extra calories. By adding something small that nets 50-60 cals to each meal you can easily net more in total..... everything else is just an excuse.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    WhispDoll, go back and read my comment regarding leptin - it explains why you keep lowering calories after feeling full which resulted in you eating less and less over time.
  • WhispDoll
    Options

GALLBLADDER STONES

Well you didn't give this impression in your initial post. You talked about sleeping most of the day and going out with friends so I think we could be forgiven for not knowing the ins and outs of your life in better detail.

No worries =] I do spend most of the DAY asleep, and most of the afternoon/night/early morning awake. But, it gets here at like 4, so I only qualify daytime as being when the sun is up, which is I think... 8 1/2 hours right now.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I would just like to point out the incredibly obvious. OP wants to lose weight! And says she has always sort of eaten like this....and somehow gained. So, OP has already damaged her metabolism to the point of being able to gain/maintain on a VLCD. OP figures this is healthy and perfectly fine because a dr did some tests and everything came back ok (for now). Then she comes on MFP to see if this is healthy, most people say NO! OP ignores those people, and chooses instead to believe her own ideas....

This topic should be closed, as OP already got her answer and is choosing to ignore it.

When you are ready to hear and accept the reasons why VLCD are not good for you, feel free to ask more questions, and expect answers from people who know their stuff! And most of all BELIEVE them! It may seem like everyone is trying to attack you, but the point of the matter is, VLCD are dangerous! Your tests may all be fine now, but as you get older, eating like this will take its toll on you.

Just for a reference, I'm 5 foot 5 and I weigh 143.8 pounds, I aim to NET 2000/day. I just bumped my calories up from 1700/day three days ago and I've already lost .8 pounds. In three days! So 2000/day is actually NOT ENOUGH for me. I don't have much left to lose (about ten pounds) so losing it this fast is not the greatest plan if I want to keep it off when I'm done.

Do a little research, increase your calories (slowly even if you want to) and try to be healthy for your "future you"!

Good luck!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    The correct answer was, I believe, eat more cheese.....

....you may close the thread now!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

cant fight it, dan knows what hes talking about. smart *kitten*. haha.

So true. Listen - even though it goes against everthing an 18 year old wants to do. Listen.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

That is awesome that you have stepped up as an adult and taken care of your father, now you just have to do the same for yourself. Over time with a vlcd, a person will begin to develop issues. They are only designed for those who are obese or have several medical problems (high blood pressure, etc..). The issue that people have with VLCD is they no only make you lose fat, they make you lose a lot of lean body mass. Over time, your body will burn through your fat stores and will require food from an alternate source. It acquires this from the amino acids in your muscles. The less lbm, the slower your metabolic rate, the less support of your body, weaker immune system and etc.. Listen to geekyjock and others in this thread by not eat more food, but eating smarter. Get a few handfuls of nuts, add avocado or cheese to items, cook meats in EVOO, eat a high calorie protein bar or shake (even weight gainers <--- just a fancy word for super high calories) or my personal favorite, go to town on a peanut butter jar. Your body knows quantity, not quality. You can eat two slices of pizza which eat 900+ calories and have the same feeling if you would eat 6oz of carrots. So if you are smart, then eat smart, and train smart. Then you will see results while eating 1700+ calories.
  • WhispDoll
    Options

ok. no worries.

either you are a troll, or you are a bit slow. dont ask questions you don't want the answer to. why did I even bother. this has now become about something other than what its supposed to be about. you seem to just be trying to stir up s^^t.

The "No worries" was directed at the girl who misunderstand what I was saying about my sleeping habits. That aside, you are incredibly rude and you should really examine your own maturity level - seeing as you're purposely picking on someone you have, by your actions and diction, determined and qualified as a child. Grow up, and stop posting as you seem to no longer have anything valuable to contribute, and are taking away space from people who have genuine things to add to the conversation.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    Just add something small that has a lot of cals: nuts; PB to fruit; cinnamon to your breakfast; more veggies at dinner; etc. I'm the same, so that's how I've 'bulked' up my foods without overeating. It's helped a lot!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

ok. no worries.

either you are a troll, or you are a bit slow. dont ask questions you don't want the answer to. why did I even bother. this has now become about something other than what its supposed to be about. you seem to just be trying to stir up s^^t.

The "No worries" was directed at the girl who misunderstand what I was saying about my sleeping habits. That aside, you are incredibly rude and you should really examine your own maturity level - seeing as you're purposely picking on someone you have, by your actions and diction, determined and qualified as a child. Grow up, and stop posting as you seem to no longer have anything valuable to contribute, and are taking away space from people who have genuine things to add to the conversation.

^^^ It sounds like the truth is not want you want to hear.

Just so you know, the MFP community is not in the habit of telling people what they want to hear, especially to tell a young lady that it's ok to do long-term damage to her body. When you say that eating more than several hundred calories makes you want to vomit, what you are saying is that you have, or are developing, an eating disorder. You should seek professional help for that before you do any permanent damage.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

You say that this is what you have been doing for most of your adult life, but you really have only been through a very tiny portion of your adult life. I am not saying that you haven't had a lot thrust on your shoulders for someone so young, but you need to look at the big picture. You have MANY MANY more years left and you don't want to complicate them by developing health problems now. Most people here are telling you the truth...you need to eat more. They are also telling you how to do it by just adding 50 - 100 calories here and there. You advise that you suffer from depression. Are you seeing a therapist? Is it possible that might have something to do with your eating problems and the fact that eating a tiny bit can make you feel like you want to vomit?

Anyway, you don't really seem to want to hear it from us and in the end the decision is yours. Just please, take a step back from fighting us and think about it. Good luck.