progresso 100 calorie soups???

Options
I need input / feedback on the progresso soups...I know they range from 90 to 130 calories which is a good thing for me, but I also noticed they're packed with sodium. I'm trying to stay away from rice and bread but at the same time I'm lost at what to eat.

Replies

• Hopingforchange
    Options
    I buy the healthy choice soups. They range between 90 and 130 calories with 1/2 the amount of sodium, thats what I am having for lunch today. :wink:
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A Weight loss book written by an engineer would be one sentence long "To lose weight; you must consume less calories than you use up."
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    If you are just looking to make stuff that is easy and requires little preparation just buy those veggie steamer bags that you just throw in the microwave, some chicken breasts, cans of tuna, eggs, sweet potatoes.

You can just throw some seasoning on the chicken and throw it in the oven with a sweet potato and you're good to go for a meal.

Those canned soups won't really fill you up and you'll be hungry and more likely to cheat. I wouldn't say they're really bad for you as long as you're drinking enough water to counter the sodium.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I eat them as part of my lunch. I'll have soup and sandwhich or soup and salad. I don't think eating just a cup for lunch would hold me for very long.
  • fatgrape
    fatgrape Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love soup, tinned, fresh, carton whatever, but I really dislike the watery slim soups. They aren't filling, taste too salty and are over-priced. I just have standard soups which rarely go over 250 calories, and you feel like you've had a tasty lunch or supper, rather than hot watery gruel.
  • amandanilo
    amandanilo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I need input / feedback on the progresso soups...I know they range from 90 to 130 calories which is a good thing for me, but I also noticed they're packed with sodium. I'm trying to stay away from rice and bread but at the same time I'm lost at what to eat.

I LOVE the progresso soups. I've been eating them since I was in elementary school. I don't eat meat and they have a couple vegetarian soups made with veggie broth or water. My favorites: Minestrone, Lentil, Macaroni & Bean.

I've been trying to eat mostly "clean", but these soups are my exception haha

They fill me up for lunch, for sure. If not, I'll have a salad or a yogurt, too. They do have a lot of sodium- one can of the Macaroni & Bean is half my entire sodium for the day. However, the rest of my diet is more "natural" - lots of veggies and beans, so the soup is really the only thing that has a ton of sodium. I'm still able to stay within my daily sodium intake.

Everything in moderation!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    A Weight loss book written by an engineer would be one sentence long "To lose weight; you must consume less calories than you use up."

Actually, it's a bit longer: http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/hackdiet.html
  • raspberryblonde
    Options
    I sometimes eat them with some extra protein for lunch at work (I always have a couple of emergency cans in my junk drawer). I'm not really all that salt-sensitive, but they are awfully high in sodium if that's something you track. And, for as much sodium as they do have, why do they taste like they still need a little flavor? The non-Light Progresso soups don't seem to have this problem - yes, they have just as much sodium, but they don't seem to be lacking any flavor. Maybe it's the fat.

It does annoy me, however, how most canned soups list 2 servings per can. Seriously, who eats half a can of soup, especially in a work setting?