Knee strengthening exercises

Can anyone recommend anything that will help strengthen my knee?

I want to be able to run, do jumping jacks and squats without it crunching and giving way. So far I can only go up to a speed walk, if I try to jog my knee gives way so I want to strengthen the muscles around my knee as much as I can.

Replies

• bhav987
    bhav987 Posts: 2 Member
    stronglifts.com

I'm coming back from 2 knee arthroscopys in the space of 9 months, and following this program has really helped strengthen not only my legs, but whole body.

It's simple, easy, and free as well.

An alternative is starting strength which is also good, i prefered the setup of Stronglifts, very similar though.

Basic idea is you build stability and strength in your leg muscles, and this will in turn strengthen and better support the knee.
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    bump
  • Jordy1983
    Jordy1983 Posts: 25 Member
    Funny, I was just reading the link below while this thread was loading on another tab:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/build-strong-lower-body
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Post op my main rehab was straight leg lifts.
    Moved on to no weight squats, leg extensions and curls until i recovered some of the muscle loss.

Then single leg squats (power and balance benefits).
    Once knee was stable then on to stairs, cycling, treadmill on incline and elliptical trainer. Squats with light weights.

If you are doing very dynamic movements and your knee is collapsing think you should consider back-tracking a bit to build the muscle, regain balance and stability using more controlled exercise than running and jumping.

Last thing you want to to cause further injury.
  • All of the above - also cycling at a high resistance will help.
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Interesting thread, thanks for posting, I was actually trying to check this as well. I do strength training but I have my doubts about squats and lunges as I feel my knees weak and I feel I could be making more damage than good. However I heard people recommending that actually strength training, "strengthens" the part of your body that is weaker, even people with lower back pains can tell you that they no longer suffer them, I guess you really have to check that your posture is CORRECT when you do the exercise.
  • salsagal36
    salsagal36 Posts: 91 Member
    For now I'll carry on then. PT has me doing a lot of what has been discussed already. Hopefully the scale will start going down again (been stuck for a while now) and it'll get easier as I get lighter.

Thanks guys.
  • bump