Anyone else work at a desk & struggling to shift weight??

Options
Hi,

I have been in my office job now for almost 2 years and in those 2 years my weight has gone up by 2 and a half stone. About 2 and a half years ago i weighed 7st at 5ft 6in and i felt my body was at its best but this was only because i had a severe B12 defiancy - it caused me to loose A LOT of weight. i am now 9st 7lb and am so not happy with my body. working at a desk doesnt allow me to be as active as i would like to be, any suggestions on things i could eat that are better (i do go to the gym 4 times a week)

Please feel free to add me - i need some motivation!!! :sad:

Replies

• dmoshaughnessy2
    dmoshaughnessy2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am in a similar situation. Working at a desk all day does not help a person loose weight! Not sure how long you have been on here, but I just re-started tracking my food and exercise. One thing I realized the first time around was that the things labelled "healthy" at the store are NOT always healthy. Not sure about the food in the UK, but here in the states, a person is just better off eating things that are natural, not processed. This means skip the nutrition granola bars and eat an apple! I also found that sweetening things with honey rather than sugar was a great way to cut a lot of sugar out of my diet. Again, here in the states, nearly everything has high fructose corn syrup and/or is packed with extra and unnecessary sugar.

Those are just a few of my suggestions. Hope they help and good luck!

P.S. What does "stone" and "7st" mean?
  • saffronmae
    Options
    Hi

I know exactly what you mean about the processed stuff! I bought what i thought was a "healthy" salad from a supermarket and to my horror it had almost 500 calories in it!! I am trying to track my food & exercise a lot more now i havent been using the site very long. Stone is an English weight measurement for weight and "st" is just an abbreviation of stone :) There are 14 Pounds (lb) to a stone :)

Thanks for the advice! Good luck to you too :smile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    At 5'6" and 7 st, you were very underweight. You're now a healthy weight. You not being able to lose weight probably has a lot more to do with that, than the fact that you have a desk job. If you're trying to get down to 7 st again, that's an extremely unhealthy (and unrealistic) goal.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I also have a desk job and struggle to stay active. I do a strength type class 3 times per week and run 2 days a week and try to be a lot more active on the weekends. During the work day, I just try to do little things like walk down the hall to talk to co workers rather than sending an email and taking the stairs (I work on the 3rd floor).

As far as eating, I try to eat as many whole foods (unprocessed) as possible and avoid sugar and white flour as much as possible. I also try to pre plan my meals and snacks so that I am prepared for the day. And like you know, watch out for the pre packaged "healthy" foods. Some can be okay, but I almost always prefer to make my own stuff so I can control the ingredients.
  • dunc77ca
    Options
    I moved into office work about 5yrs ago. Previously I was in a labor intensive job. Weighed about 210 lbs at 6’2” and could eat whatever I wanted. Since being in the office I jumped up to 250ish and have to watch everything I eat. I co-worker started to walk on her breaks and lunch every day. Not sure how much she has shed (not going to ask). But she looks amazing. So, I started walking every chance I get. 10lbs down, 10 or so to go. Hopefully this works for you.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight sitting at a desk all day - eat at a calorie deficit and the weight will come off.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    I too work at a desk and have been carefully planning what I do.
    Using tis little app and site certainly helps.

Advice : Log everything, get a whole load of accountable friends and enjoy the journey.

Welcome and good luck.

Anyone can add me if they feel I can maybe help.
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I, too, work at a desk all day. It is very difficult to keep from becoming sedentary. Something that helped me is getting a small timer or clock that goes off every 55 minutes. When it goes off, no matter what, I get up and walk down the hall and back a couple of times. It gets blood flowing and gets your eyes a break from the computer screen. Just a thought, best of luck!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I've been at a desk job since graduation, 13 years now. My health and weight is always on my mind. I've dropped 70 once, but put back 30 of that, especially since I go tmarried and had a kid. I keep an old picture up in my cube at work as a dily reminder to be a good boy.

It's not easy, but you can do it. It's all about setting priorities.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    At 5'6" and 7 st, you were very underweight. You're now a healthy weight. You not being able to lose weight probably has a lot more to do with that, than the fact that you have a desk job. If you're trying to get down to 7 st again, that's an extremely unhealthy (and unrealistic) goal.

^ This. At 133 pounds you are where you need to be, perhaps some lifting to tone your body would improve your perception.
  • kmorg22
    kmorg22 Posts: 180
    Options
    SETTING AN ALARM ON MY PHONE FOR EVERY HOUR HELPS ME REMEMBER TO GET UP AND STRETCH OR WALK FREQUENTLY DURING THE DAY. I WORK A DESK JOB AND JUST SNACK ON VEGGIES AND FRUIT AND STRETCH EVERY HOUR OR WALK. IT HELPS ME ALOT. I HAVEN'T WEIGHED MYSELF IN A WHILE SO I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY HOW MUCH I HAVE LOST BUT I HAVE DROPPED 3 PANT SIZES SINCE THIS SEPTEMBER BUT NURSING HAS ALSO CONTRIBUTED TO THAT WEIGHT LOSS AS WELL.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

^ This. At 133 pounds you are where you need to be, perhaps some lifting to tone your body would improve your perception.

^^ Totally agree with these comments. You're now at healthy weight. 7 stone (98 lbs!) at 5'6" was underweight.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    9 stone 7pounds is 120 pounds. At 5'6", you are just at the lower limit of your weight recommendations. If you are still unhappy with your body composition, try weight training to tone up a bit.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been in my office job now for almost 2 years and in those 2 years my weight has gone up by 2 and a half stone. About 2 and a half years ago i weighed 7st at 5ft 6in and i felt my body was at its best but this was only because i had a severe B12 defiancy - it caused me to loose A LOT of weight. i am now 9st 7lb and am so not happy with my body. working at a desk doesnt allow me to be as active as i would like to be, any suggestions on things i could eat that are better (i do go to the gym 4 times a week)

Is this pic now?

Your stats seem great to me... Desk jobs suck, i make up for it at the gym. They say an female at 163 pounds (74 kg) burns 126 Calories for one hour of sitting. as an idea
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I spend a lot of time at a desk, but I walk/work out on my lunch. I work out when I get home, in the morning and any other times I have free time. Most weight loss starts in the kitchen and by making smart eating choices. If you do that, you are more than winning half the battle.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have worked at a desk all my life and it definitely can be challenging. Especially when you have others who like to bring in all those unhealthy snacks into the work place. Sounds like you are exercising enough to keep you fit, so I would think that maybe its the nutritional side that is causing the weight gain? Its hard to tell people not to bring in unhealthy food into the office, so what I do is bring in my own snacks (like nuts, almonds, veggies, etc) and drink lots of water like its your job. The water will help you feel full and if you can snack in healthy things you like, then it will hopefully keep you from eating the things you shouldnt be. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    I currently have a desk job as well. The best thing I have found is to pre-plan all my meals so I am not going out to eat or eatting any of the unhealthy candy in the office. I also keep hand weights under the desk (when no one is around I can get in some reps) and when I actually do get to take a break I make sure to get up, stretch and take a walk around the showroom or the building. It's those little things that will help.
  • saffronmae
    Options
    HI

No i do not want to get to 7 St again as i did feel quite unwell but i would like to get to about 8st or maybe a bit less
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Desk job = snacking a lot. Don't snack. eat what you plan, and get some ankle weights. You'll be fine.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    SETTING AN ALARM ON MY PHONE FOR EVERY HOUR HELPS ME REMEMBER TO GET UP AND STRETCH OR WALK FREQUENTLY DURING THE DAY. I WORK A DESK JOB AND JUST SNACK ON VEGGIES AND FRUIT AND STRETCH EVERY HOUR OR WALK. IT HELPS ME ALOT. I HAVEN'T WEIGHED MYSELF IN A WHILE SO I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY HOW MUCH I HAVE LOST BUT I HAVE DROPPED 3 PANT SIZES SINCE THIS SEPTEMBER BUT NURSING HAS ALSO CONTRIBUTED TO THAT WEIGHT LOSS AS WELL.

I do this and sit on an exercise ball all day and find myself bouncing and moving way more than you can in a desk chair.