Protien and Fiber

stephieloo
stephieloo Posts: 14
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
I am WELL under my calories, carbs, and fat....but over on fiber and protein. Those are good things right?? So it shouldn't be a big deal??? Any thoughts?

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Being well under your calories isn't a good thing, and even carbs, you need em, you need healthy fats in your diet, but if you're cutting out sat fats, then that's a positive, going over on protein not a big deal, I go over by at least 40g a day.
  • Well that's a relief...well, when I say well under...is 700 cals well under or is that ok??
  • It says I earned 624 cals today?? Am I supposed to eat those up too!!??? Jeez...that's a lot of food for me!
  • marmen
    marmen Posts: 4
    Going over on protien and fiber is fine. But going under on calories is bad...generally as a rule you only want to lose 1 pound a week, so take in 500 calories a day less than you expend. "Expend" includes your exercise....so the more you work out, the more you can/have to eat. Eat less and you will lose weight faster, but your body thinks it is starving and slows your metabolism down, sometimes permanently, making it harder to lose or keep weight off.
  • imagymrat
    It says I earned 624 cals today?? Am I supposed to eat those up too!!??? Jeez...that's a lot of food for me!

I don't know if i'm understanding you, you ate your calories today but didn't eat your exercise calories..right? that's a huge issue for people on MFP, wether or not to eat those calories...personally, I do NOT eat them, if I do it's because i'm hungry. I follow what my body tells me, hungry...eat...not hungry..don't eat, I don't pay any attention to eating those calories because they are there, that makes no sense to me.
  • imagymrat
    Going over on protien and fiber is fine. But going under on calories is bad...generally as a rule you only want to lose 1 pound a week, so take in 500 calories a day less than you expend. "Expend" includes your exercise....so the more you work out, the more you can/have to eat. Eat less and you will lose weight faster, but your body thinks it is starving and slows your metabolism down, sometimes permanently, making it harder to lose or keep weight off.

It takes a long prolonged period of self starvation for your body to enter into starvation mode, people throw that term around way too carelessly and scare the *kitten* outta people.....don't see too many fat people in third world countries do you? because I can betcha their bodies are in starvation mode but the weight has NO CHOICE but to come off, even if you're starving it, you will eventually start to lose weight, not a healthy way to do it but that's the truth.
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member

It takes a long prolonged period of self starvation for your body to enter into starvation mode, people throw that term around way too carelessly and scare the *kitten* outta people.....don't see too many fat people in third world countries do you? because I can betcha their bodies are in starvation mode but the weight has NO CHOICE but to come off, even if you're starving it, you will eventually start to lose weight, not a healthy way to do it but that's the truth.

Thank you, someone has finally made sense to me.
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    Well, that's not necessarily true. I know from personal experience. I did not lose weight for a long time. My doctor didn't know why, and I couldn't figure it out. My trainer at the time referred me to a registered dietician. She said that I wasn't eating enough food--and that I needed to eat more and eat every three hours. Guess what? I started losing weight! What's also interesting is that the calorie intake is almost the same as MFP's recommendation.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Everyone's different. I do know that I didn't lose weight for like a month because I wasn't eating exercise cals. When I started eating them, the weight started coming off pretty easily. I often go over on protein and fiber. I try not to go over on carbs. However, I still seem to lose weight if I just look at the calories. It may take some adjusting on your part to figure out what works best for you.
  • Yes, the 624 is the cals I guess I am "rewarded" for working out. I didn't eat those. But I am not hungry. I would think it's worse for me to force down food just to use up those calories when I am not hungry. Is that the same as your "net" calories??
  • imagymrat
    Well, that's not necessarily true. I know from personal experience. I did not lose weight for a long time. My doctor didn't know why, and I couldn't figure it out. My trainer at the time referred me to a registered dietician. She said that I wasn't eating enough food--and that I needed to eat more and eat every three hours. Guess what? I started losing weight! What's also interesting is that the calorie intake is almost the same as MFP's recommendation.

If you continued to starve your body, you would lose weight, plain and simple. You would face health complications, like organ failure, fatigue, hair loss, menses gone, but you will lose weight. I deal with aneroxic teens on a daily basis, I run a clinic in our gym just for them. We're talking true starvation here, not eating a bagel for breakfast, doritos for lunch with two cokes...people that drastically limit their intake, usually it's done with healthy food choices, not to say that I have a client who lost 30 pounds eating nothing but chocolate ice cream...to each their own. Your body eventually eats away at itself.
This discussion has been closed.