Running Friends?

Options
One of the things that I love most about getting on myfitnesspal is reading all of my friends posts - especially the running posts..I tried to start running last year and completed my first 5k in november '11 with a time of over 45 minutes at 239lbs. I am a 29 year old mom of 3 boys ages 8,6,3. I finally got fed up in April '12 and started getting serious. I have lost 56 pounds and had to literally start over with the running, but it was a great thing. I remember when I first started out, I got on the treadmill and tried to make it a quarter of a mile and that was so challenging to me I thought I would never be able to do this. I asked myself every day why I wanted to run, it was hard, it hurt, it wasnt very fun. I'm not sure when it happened, but it became a little easier, slowly I built up my distance, increased my speed and endurance, and started to actually enjoy it and want to do it. I have run several 5k's, an 8k, and completed my first half marathon in october. I also lift, and enjoy zumba, but I love running and I love hearing what other runners do, how they train, what they eat, races they are doing, etc...So if you would like another friend, please add me :)

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm a runner too :)
  • ThePinkPretzel
    Options
    I am fairly new to running, but I am loving it!! I love having other runner's on my FL so please feel free to add me too!!!

Please just include a quick note so I know how you found me :)

• nicnactoo
    nicnactoo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love running. I'm a 5k PB chaser! I run parkrun most Saturday mornings, which is a free weekly timed run at 9am every week. It's an obsession!
    Add me - would love more runner friends.
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Rookie runner here, I like to post about my runs and to post when im gonna run so that i dont chicken out if the weather turns bad :-) Will add you if thats ok :-)
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar history. Went from 270 to 190 and now hovers around 205. Since knee surgery in 2006, I took up running, and I have ran numerous half marathons and two full marathons. In 2011, I ran four half marathons, and one 15K with my son. I took this year off and never really ran past 6 miles, but I plan on training and racing again next year, as well as getting back in with MFP (with food tracking) seriously. I would love to have friends who also run to help motivate and be motivated by. I am a 44 year old father of 5.

Feel free to add me.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start week 5 of C25K. Feel free to add me!
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner too. My story is a lot like yours. Started running at 260 and some change and HATED it. Now I've lost about 65lbs and love running. Feel free to add me :)
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I started the same way a couple of years ago. I completed my first 1/2 marathon in August and recently did a 15K earlier this month. I'm currently addicted to running and hot/power yoga. I'll send you a friend request. :-)
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I'm a runner, not running atm cause I have an injury but Plan on running again soon as I can.
    SO Feel free to add mee..
  • khall83
    khall83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Yes, everyone please add me!! Love hearing all of your stories!
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Add me, I love running. Been doing it for around three years but after learning to run 5k I never pushed it further and was happy to just run 5 or so k a few times a week. Then this summer I decided to step it up a gear and started entering races, I did a few 5ks, then moved on to 10ks and am looking to do a half marathon in the spring :)
  • lelefriedrich
    Options
    I started running 3 or 4 months ago, and also bodybuilder. I had lost 5 kilograms and Im very excite :smile: . I love running and I love to read about sucess cases, like yours.
    Nowadays, I can run 6km, but my goal is 21.. and I wish to do it soon!!

PS: sorry my english... I don´t speak very well ;(
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!

I started running seriously in 2009, have completed 6 half marathons and 2 full marathons since that time and too many 5, 8 and 10k races to count. I love to run fun races, especially ones I can dress up for ;) on Saturday I'm running the Santa shuffle again and my whole group will be sporting hats, including my dog! I also regularly run the Perth Kilt run, an 8k race in a kilt (we've made it into the Guiness Book of World Records...twice!) :D As of tomorrow I will have run 1500km in the last 12 months in my greater goal of running the equivalent distance of Ottawa to Marathon Greece (and once have completed that my friend and I who are doing the challenge are off to run the Athens Marathon)

Am always up for more running friends and to chat about running techniques and training, and the joys and pains that come with running.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 1.5yrs but only become a "runner" this past summer!! I crave running now. Before I did it b/c I had to for cardio exercise. Now I could run 7 days a week.

Well done on your success!! Great achievement!!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your races! I'm a runner too-I just started in July and have already done 4 5Ks and thinking of jumping to a half marathon that's happening in February :bigsmile:

Edited to add: I crave running now too, I hadn't enjoyed it before or could go for longer than 1/4 mile but now I love my long runs and hate when I'm supposed to have a rest day
  • beproudbestrong
    Options
    I am new to this running thing also. I started about a month and half ago and just finished my first 5k. I couldn't believe how fun and thrilling it was to actually complete it!! I have found a sense of calmness when I run and haven't pushed myself like this in years. It is true RUNNING IS CHEAPER THAN THERAPY!!! I am running my second 5k this sat and can't wait to see the finish line.. Great job ladies!! Feel free to add..
  • gottaluvya
    Options
    I am also fairly new to running. I started earlier in the year but injured my foot doing something else and had to stop for a bit. Was almost able to pick up where I left off which was nice. A couple weeks ago I found I was able to run...ok, it was jogging lol....for a straight 30mins on the treadmill (at a 4.5-4.8mi/hr pace...not setting any records there!). That was an accomplishment because the longest I could go before was maybe 8-10 minutes. I will admit that I do not love running. I see it as more of a challenge. I have never run in an official 5k but my goal is to do one come spring. My PR for that 3 miles on the treadmill is roughly 40 minutes. Again, no world record there but a personal accomplishment lol. Have not done a lot of outdoor running as of yet, just a few times. Last time outdoors (while visiting family over Thanksgiving) was a little frustrating but then I realized there was more incline than I was doing on the treadmill or at the track near my house. So I forgave myself a little lol. I only do the running 2x a week right now, but that changes as schedules change.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request.

Anyone can add me, too. I'm a beginner runner. Been working on C25K and just building up endurance.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I just did my 3rd half marathon a couple of weekends ago and have another half scheduled for April and a FULL (yikes!) scheduled for May.
  • Beki_87
    Options
    Hi! Hope you don't mind, but I've sent friend requests to a few of you! I'm a newbie runner in the UK- worked my way through C25K and did my first 5k race in 36mins for Cancer Research a couple of months ago and then my first Park Run in 34mins- those improvements are so motivating! :)

I'm now aiming for a 10k in the new year- feel free to add me! Running has become my stress relief where I don't think about anything else, lol.