Looking for a weight loss plan!

Options
I don't have a weight loss plan so I'm looking for something to stick too, any suggestions that works for you guys would be great, I'm just trying to find what can fit me.

A background for me for any advice:
-I am 202 and want to get to 160 in the quickest/healthiest time frame.
-I don't have time to do no more than 1hr of workout a day. (Hoping to change this soon)
-I'm not looking to greatly change my normal eating habits, but am open to add and try new foods, meals and recipes.
-I am also not looking to sign up to some program (ie weight watchers)

Replies

• TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    I love the Spartacus Workout. Roughly 20-45 mins a day (depends how much you can handle), minimal equipment and its FREE! If you have an Android phone, there's even a great app for it. As far as diet, maybe just try to find healthier alternatives to what you already eat. Good luck!
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Eat a deficit and lose weight. Easy game. Add exercise for overall health.
  • tashawtloss
    Options
    I will check out the Spartacus workout! What does it mean to "eat a deficit"? I'm sorry I'm new to this, lol.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer calories than you burn, that's all a deficit is. Have you done any research into this whole thing? If you click on goals at the top of your screen you can set to how many lbs/week you want to lose and MFP will figure out your deficit for you.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Let MFP work for you. Input your numbers, it will give you a calorie limit. Log what you est and your exercise, follow your guidelines...bingo...you're losing. Painlessly.
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Spend you available hour working out, eat less calories than you burn. Add foods that are high nutrient and low calories. Eat less calorie dense foods. Cut out fast food and processed foods
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't have a weight loss plan so I'm looking for something to stick too, any suggestions that works for you guys would be great, I'm just trying to find what can fit me.

-I don't have time to do no more than 1hr of workout a day. (Hoping to change this soon)
    -I'm not looking to greatly change my normal eating habits, but am open to add and try new foods, meals and recipes.
    ^^my weightloss plan is - eat what i've always eaten, but less.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options

^^my weightloss plan is - eat what i've always eaten, but less.

This with a few exceptions. I rarely eat fast food anymore (I was an addict). Also I limit things like pizza and eating out. Other than that everything else is fair game with correct portion sizing.

Deficit means eat less than the amount of calories it takes to stay even.

At my weight 297.2 It takes roughly 2500 to maintain this weight. I lose 1 lb per week you take away 500 calories. To lose 2 lbs you take off 1000. That's what you eat. Then all exercise calories are bonus and you can eat those back.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Start lifting heavy and doing HIIT (I prefer on the treadmill). These are the most effective from what I've researched and tried.
  • patrickmjett
    Options
    Defecit isn't the best way to go. Especially for women. I'm finding the 4 hour body works really well for me. Its not uncomfortable and not hard to do. 4 hour body is a book by Tim Ferris. I lost 40 lbs in 6 months and reduced my body fat 12 % last time I did it (I did gain 15 of it back over the course of 8 months but that was due to working 84 hour weeks on a regular basis) I'm not saying its for everyone but calorie restriction doesn't work for me. Its too slow and I get restless and quit. Check out the book. I think its like 10$ on amazon. Happy hunting!!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    This is what worked for me. When I began this journey, I saw a dietician, and she basically told me these things.
    1. Eat 15 or less carbs a day. In her world, a "carb" was 15 grams of carbohydrate. I learned to read labels religiously. Basically, a slice of bread is a carb, a hamburger or hot dog bun is 2 carbs, a banana is 2 carbs, etc. I bought the Calorie King book so I could track these.
    2. Watch your portion sizes. I bought a scale and began weighing my foods.
    3. Eat breakfast -- some people will dispute this and that is fine, but it worked for me. I wasn't a breakfast eater before, and if I did, it was a pop-tart or something similar. I began eating oatmeal pretty religiously, and still do to this day.
    4. Eat an evening snack of some sort. Again, this may not work for everyone, but I tried to eat a piece of fruit, some yogurt, or some nuts before I went to bed. I always tried to eat something nutritious.
    5. Write down EVERYTHING you eat. It's amazing how I made better choices when I knew I was going to be writing it down on a piece of paper (this was before I found MFP).

In addition, I walked....and walked....and walked. I bought a used treadmill (BEST $200 I've ever spent), and I walked at least three miles at least six days a week. After I had lost the weight (about 70 pounds), I attended an auction in a small hometown near where I grew up. I saw some people I hadn't seen in several years. The dad of some friends didn't believe them when they told him it was me. Later, one of these friends, asked me what I had done to lose that much weight. I told him I walked my *kitten* off. He turned me around, and whispered in my ear, "Literally." Dave died a few months later.....one of my favorite memories of him.

I've gotten a little lax about watching what I eat and writing everything down. I log kind of sporadically, and I've gained back some weight. I was probably too light at my lowest, and I gained about 20 pounds back. I am still in the healthy BMI range, but I would like to lose between 8 and 10 pounds once again.

Good luck......it took me about 15 months to lose the weight......and remember, above all, it is a LIFEstyle change, not a DIEt.

EDIT: I was about your size when I started.....just to let you know.
    Kaye
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Given that you're not looking to greatly change your normal eating habits, how about this? Set MFP to lose 1.5 lbs a week (for now, reduce that to 1 lb a week when you get closer to goal, or now if you don't want to eat that little). Eat what you like. Log it on MFP. See if you are over or under your daily calorie goal. Adjust portion sizes as necessary. Log any exercise you do. Eat at least half of those calories back. Try this for a few weeks, and see if it works. If it does, continue. If not, play around with your calorie goal until it works.

Oh, and "quickest time frame" ≠ "healthiest time frame". I'd stick with the latter.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Defecit isn't the best way to go. Especially for women. I'm finding the 4 hour body works really well for me. Its not uncomfortable and not hard to do. 4 hour body is a book by Tim Ferris. I lost 40 lbs in 6 months and reduced my body fat 12 % last time I did it (I did gain 15 of it back over the course of 8 months but that was due to working 84 hour weeks on a regular basis) I'm not saying its for everyone but calorie restriction doesn't work for me. Its too slow and I get restless and quit. Check out the book. I think its like 10$ on amazon. Happy hunting!!
    You lost 40 lbs without a calorie deficit?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    myfitnesspal.com is a weight loss "plan".

You found it!

Just go through the goals setup and follow the site. When you are out of calories, stop eating.

(log EVERYTHING you eat)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    As long as you burn more calories than you take in, you're going to lose weight. That means you're going to have to log what you're eating and what sort of activity you're doing to really get an accurate picture of where to go from here.

If you really want to lose weight, you're going to have to modify what you're eating too. One of my nutritionists told me if you focus on lean, healthy proteins, the carbs/fats will take care of themselves, and generally, I've found that to be true. Fiber intake should also be a consideration.

Just keep in mind, "What can I do right now to help me get where I want to be later?" If that means ordering a burger without the bun (bun = straight carbs) so you can have fries (fat & Carbs), so be it (yes, you'd be adding fat, but you'd be decreasing the normal amount of carbs you'd have by eliminating the bun). Are you willing to give up bacon or not have it very often? (It's total fat - not much protein to speak of at all.) Can you forego the pecan pie? (90% of those pies is sugar - there isn't enough protein in the pecans to counter the effect of all the sugar.) Are you willing to have the Pasta Fagiole soup at Olive Garden instead of the salad? (The dressing is Food DIary EXPENSIVE - the soup has protein and fiber in it, and is half the calories than the salad.)

Here's some things I took into account in my journey:
    http://baysweightloss.blogspot.com/2012/05/things-that-have-helped-along-way.html
  • rhondagraymond
    Options
    There are so many weight loss plan in the market. I am currently on Dukan Diet and it helped me lose 32 pounds so far in the last 8 months. I would recommend you the same.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

And whatever fancy plan it's called, it's all based on the premise of calorie restriction.. whether its through certain foods or whatever. If you believe otherwise, you are only fooling yourself.

OP, go into your account, set it at 1 lb per week, find an exercise routine whether its strong lift 5x5, New rules of lifting for women, p90x or any other beachbody one you like, jillian michaels or one on youtube or www.bodyrock.tv . But whatever workout you find, make sure it involves lifting and HIIT/cardio
  • patrickmjett
    Options
    I think I was misunderstood. I should have said calorie counting wasn't as good of an idea for me. I'm sure I ate at a defecit but changing the foods I ate truly changed things for me which because they weren't as good and I didn't over indulge. Sorry for your misunderstanding.