Offer advice for a first time half-marathoner

Options
Hello MFP world. I just signed up for my first half marathon. It's in April and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I've been running for almost a year now, usually 3 times a week. Generally I run 2 or 3 miles on 2 week days and then a long run on Saturday. The farthest I've run without stopping is 6.5 miles. I've been flirting with the idea of doing a half marathon for a long time, and decided I would never do it if I didn't just sign up for it. So I did. I've got 5 months to train and I'd love to hear any and all advice you've got to offer! Thanks =)

Replies

• sandgrass
    sandgrass Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first full marathon this April---actually first anything. I figured the same thing as you----I should just sign up to make me follow through with it as, I have always wanted to run one. I have been following the Hal Higdon Novice Supreme program. So far, thing have been going great.....seems so smooth so far 5 weeks in.

I look forward to the April marathon but, there is a ton a work to do between now and then in order for me to make it----good luck to you and get in as many miles as can over the winter to best prepare for the big day.
  • jhall585
    Options
    If you can do 6.5 miles, you'll be able to bang out a halfsie no problem. Train SMART is my best advice, you don't want to go full blast and end up with an injury that takes you out come April. If you're 5 months out i'd maybe continue to do what you're doing until Jan/Feb and check out some training plans. Hal Hidgon has awesome ones that i've used. And don't forget to cross train!
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I ran my first(and only so far because of health issues) in 2010. My best advice is to follow a schedule to train. Nike.com has some good schedules to follow that basically tell you how many miles a day/week to run. do not over train or you could injure yourself(happened to me but I still ran it and completed it!). It is definitely something I plan on doing again hopefully this coming May. Good luck!!
  • beaglelover12
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I had never heard of Hal Higdon, so I'll be sure to check his training programs out.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Love to see new runners catching the bug!

If you're currently running 3 x weekly check out the Hal Higdon Novice 1 half-marathon plan:

http://halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

It's based on 3 or 4 runs weekly (Wednesday - your choice run or cross train) and builds up the mileage fairly gently over 12 weeks and he likes to incorporate a couple of shorter races (if there are ones that fit your schedule) to give you a bit of a gentler introduction to racing.

Have fun!
    Thanks for the advice! I had never heard of Hal Higdon, so I'll be sure to check his training programs out.

He's one of the senior editors at Runner's World magazine (check out runnersworld.com for lots of other training, nutrition and injury prevention tips) and he's run over 100 marathons going back to 1959.