Plain Yogurt

Options
newcs
newcs Posts: 717 Member
What's your favorite use for plain yogurt? I only like whole milk french vanilla by Stonyfield but accidentally bought the plain and can't stand it (even with fruit).

If all else fails, I'll try a little vanilla extract and a little honey but figured I'd see what everyone else likes to use theirs for.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Fruit alone probably isn't giving you enough sweetness if you prefer the pre-sweetened variety, as they have quite a bit of added sugar. In order to match the sweetness of your usual variety, you'll need a good blob of sweetener mixed in, whether it is honey, maple syrup, or whatever your preferred sweetener is along with the fruit. You can also add a spoonful of fruit jam/jelly to taste and it ends up tasting just like pre-sweetened yogurt. I used to do that all of the time as I weened myself off of the sweetened stuff.
  • nearptr
    Options
    1 cup plain yoghurt + 1 cup chopped onion + well-drained contents of one large can of tuna. Excellent on whole wheat toast.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I always buy plain. The fruit added ones have to much sugar. I add my own fruit to the plain ones, my favorite add in is fresh pineapple or fresh blueberries.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Use it in a savory application as a substitute for mayo or sour cream. I use plain yogurt seasoned with a little curry powder as the dressing for Waldorf Salad--fabulous. Chop up some apple, celery, slice some grapes throw in some chopped walnuts (I also add cucumber, not traditional) and dress with the yogurt/curry mixture. Wow, now I know what I am having for lunch tomorrow : )
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I tried cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg. Was a pretty good x
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I always buy plain Greek to avoid the sugar then make it delicious:

- 1 scoop of protein powder for a protein boost and filling snack
    - Add sugar free pudding mix (you can use cheesecake flavor, then make a crust out of high fiber cereal for a guilt free treat). Cheesecake for breakfast while on a diet? Yes, please!
    - Instant coffee and stevia
    - Mix pudding and PB2 for chocolate-y peanut butter-y goodness
    - Any combination of these :)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Berries with stevia, plain yogurt to me needs a sweetener.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I love plain yogurt, although not really by itself, lol. I use it in smoothies, mix it in oatmeal, mix it with tuna fish, put it on a baked potato or sweet potato. Here are some things I use it for on a regular basis as well:

1/4 cup frozen blueberries and 1/4 frozen banana in a bowl, microwave for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup Kashi Indigo Morning cereal, about 3-4 oz plain Greek yogurt, a couple tablespoons of granola (home made for me) and 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk. Mix and eat.

or same as above, but add 1/4 cup oats and almond milk with frozen fruit and microwave for 2-3 minutes, then add yogurt and granola.

4-5 oz plain yogurt, 1 TBS chocolate PB2, a little protein powder, a shot of chocolate soy milk and a little splenda. Mix and enjoy.

Strain plain Greek yogurt for a few hours, mix with chopped cucumber and some garlic and use as a dip or spread on just about anything.

I love the plain yogurt because you can use it in so many ways and it's so good for you.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I tried sweetening it with maple syrup and flavoring it with vanilla extract but I crossed the very fine line between "can't taste the vanilla" and "ew. vodka yogurt"

I love the idea of a dip - I have a bunch of carrots to use so it looks like I'll be having carrots and dip :)

The other ideas are awesome - now I just have to pick one or two to use up the rest of it!
  • gsbrooks1
    Options
    bump
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with fresh fruit & honey, stir it into my oatmeal (also with fresh fruit, honey & walnuts), use it as a sub for sour cream, etc.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's really good as a savoury dip - add in a splash of Lea and Perrins (wostershire sauce), or maybe a few drops of hot sauce. Or some mustard and finely chopped pickles.
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gracielous
    Options
    I add an apple, a little cinnamon, and a packet of Truvia. It is delicious.
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My fave is half a cup of plain yogurt with half a cup of thawed berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries from Costco) with two teaspoons of pure maple syrup. You would never know this started as plain yogurt. So good!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    0% or 2% Fage Greek Yogurt
    sprinkle with some honey or some berries.

:)