vibram fivefingers - barefoot running

Options
http://vibramfivefingers.com/products/index.cfm

does anyone have a pair of these? if so what are your thoughts?
I friend of mine just got a pair and loves them.

Replies

• kfsooner
    kfsooner Posts: 40
    Options
    I just got a pair a week ago. I have the sprint model. I love them. Right now I only use them around the house and driving to school to pick up kids. I did use them on the treadmill once. But I know I need to work on getting my feet used to them before I do alot of treadmill with them.

I am going to the beach in a week and I cannot wait to use them on the sand!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Wow... that's taking toe socks to a whole new universe...
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    They kind of remind me of "God's Shoes" from the TV Show "Married With Children". Anyone remember that episode??

They look interesting, but I think they'd bother my toes.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    oh they feel great. i went and checked out a pair. they really are very nice. Once you have them on it doesn't feel like you have them on. It is so much like being barefoot.
  • simona1972
    Options
    Is there much support on the bottom of the shoes?
  • jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    Options
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    wow! I would LOVE a pair of these!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options

Do you mean arch support? There isn't any - it's like being barefoot. It's a plastic/rubber type sole, not very thick.

I love mine - I've had them about a month. I no longer wear regular sneakers.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I don't yet but I want to get a pair! A coworker of my hubby has been wearing them a while and is running in them also. I am dealing w/ stress fractures in my feet (calcaneus and 3rd metatarsal) and when talking to the physical therapist she recommended NOT getting them w/ my feet yet. I'd like to wear them just for around the house, I'm not interested in running in them though!
  • rmccully
    Options

Do you mean arch support? There isn't any - it's like being barefoot. It's a plastic/rubber type sole, not very thick.

Do you run in them?
  • etsudesign
    etsudesign Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had a pair for about 6 months and LOVE them. Warm up into them, if you plan on running in them. My wife went out for a run in them without letting her leg muscles get used to them, and her legs were extremely sore for over a week.

I would highly recommend the socks if you plan on wearing them for more than a couple days a week. They get pretty smelly and need to be thrown in the wash... fyi. :)
  • simona1972
    Options
    That's what Im not getting about these...how can they be good for your feet without any support??

I've sent the You Tube link to my email to watch at home.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    That's what Im not getting about these...how can they be good for your feet without any support??

Shoes are actually not good for your feet, ankles, legs or back. Going barefoot is the best way and most natural way to be.
  • simona1972
    Options

Shoes are actually not good for your feet, ankles, legs or back. Going barefoot is the best way and most natural way to be.

Ive heard that before, but for some reason I just cant buy it. I guess it just seems so jarring to be without shoes - especially when doing physical activities.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Its not though. When I first got them I only wore them in the house and went up and down the stairs a few times and the soreness from my muscles stretching out what intense.

Then I started walking in them and my husband laughs at me when I wear them.............

They are just like being barefoot..............
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    Yes! I need a pair of these! My shin splints are horrible and I heard this can help strengthen the muscles to help prevent injury.

I spend so much time barefoot at home I'd love to not have to worry with stepping on nails (2 is enough)!!
  • rmccully
    Options
    i am working a getting a pair. They company who makes these had planned on making 1.2 million this year and have already sold 14 million. is what i was told anyway. they are going to try and order mine on Monday so we will see what happens. I am trully looking forward to getting them.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options

Do you run in them?

I'm not a runner. I tried to run in the once, but it's something I would have to get used to.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    My brother has these, and he likes them. However, when he went running with me back in September, he said the gravel-type (not really well paved roads) hurt his feet. I guess it depends on where you want to run.
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    I bought a pair of Vibrams after taking 8 months off of running due to intense knee pain every time I went out. I have run in them for the last 3 weeks and they are AMAZING! I don't have any pain when I run in them. I am taking it slow so my calf muscles can get used to working a little harder.

You run much differently using different muscles and landing softer on your forefoot, so there isn't the feeling of pounding your feet into the pavement as you would expect by looking at them.