Fitness Pedometer Watch vs. Heart Rate Monitor- huh?

Options
Now that I'm committed to doing the Jilllian Micheals Ripped in 30days dvd training I'm dying to know how many calories I'm burning so I can log my exercise in MFP. So I run to Sports Authority [post black Friday] to snag a device that will help me count calories burned. First I couldn't tell what to buy either the Fitness Pedometer watch or the Heart Rate Monitor watch, so I settled on the Fitness watch. Can I just say that I have no idea how to program the bloody thing, so I'm still not counting calories burned. Should I take it back? what's the best way to track calories burned during my JM exercises?????? - I don't have this issue on my treadmill or elliptical!!! ARGH

Replies

• Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I only trust my HRM. My treadmill will be over by 150 calories than my HRM.
  • dlavato
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4 heart rate monitor it has a chest strap so it is more accurate and it wasn't supre hard to figure out either.
  • awebs89
    awebs89 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Take it back and get a heart rate monitor. a pedometer only tracks the amount of steps you have taken while a heart rate monitor tracks your heart rate during the workout to calculate how many calories you burn. Get a good one with a chest strap, I love my FT4 my Polar.

Good luck!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Yeah it sounds like you should have purchased a heart rate monitor if it's for a fitness DVD. The pedometer would only track steps and nothing else.
  • amberlee08
    amberlee08 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I tried both. I wanted the pedometer to help motivate me to walk more. but i hated that it counted how many calories burned. I only want to count what i burn working out, not when i'm just walking around.
    FT4 is definitely worth it. I've had it for 6 months and do not work out without it.
  • stilleto816
    Options
    I should have posted this and consulted with you before I ventured to the store unsupervised, lol. Thanks much for the feedback guess its going back!
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    definitly get a HRM watch, and preferably one w/ a chest strap so that its taking constant readings, i've seen some that just take your HR from your wrist but you have to activate it each time you want a reading, the HRM straps are the way to go :)
  • stilleto816
    Options
    thanks for the info I will be returning the pedometer watch for a HRM watch tomorrow!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM with a chest strap, not a cheap one that you have to touch all the time to get any readings. Polar would be the brand I'd recommend, Timex is often on sale but they aren't accurate for women. Also I'd wear it on your treadmill and elliptical because most machines aren't giving accurate readings either. Both of mine are way higher than what my HRM shows.