Quick and Easy Meals for On The Go College Student?

Options
This is my first actual dedicated attempted to weight loss and so far I have lost about 10 pounds but I constantly struggle
with getting in fulfilling meals. I work and attend college monday through friday and I commute to and from my college every day which is about a 20-30 minute drive. During morning I'm usually scrambling for something to eat, I usually just heat up a jimmy dean turkey sausage, egg white, and cheese sandwich and take it with my but I don't always have those in my house so sometimes all I can get is an apple or banana. For lunch I typically fix a turkey sammich on whole wheat with lettuce,pickle, and honey mustard with baked chips and a fruit. Dinner is whatever my grandmother cooks which is always homemade and fresh so I never really worry about that. I'm concerned though about next semester where i have classes on some days that keep me there until around dinner time or classes that are early and keep me until lunch time. I just need some suggestions for things I can fix and pack up in a lunch kit and go.

Replies

• liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I always found soups to be a quick easy option when I was in school. I'm sure your campus has a cafeteria with microwaves and such. I also kept some Odwalla smoothies around. The protein ones kept me pretty full, but the are loaded with sugar. On the plus side, the sugar is natural and come directly from the fruits, so I don't worry about it too much. I made simple sandwiches like peanutbutter and honey, peanutbutter and banana, etc. and always on whole grain bread. Oatmeal is an easy breakfast on the go and if you make it from scratch you get more of the health benefits and can make it anyway you like. I personally add a bit of wheat germ to it just to add a nutritional boost. Kashi has a line of granola bars that make great low-cal, highly nutritious snacks. Also, take advantage of you grandmother's cooking. Leftovers make great lunches! ^_^
  • jlambertjen5
    jlambertjen5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of trail mix. You can buy it pre-made, or make it yourself to save some money. Just mix some nuts, a little dried fruit, some granola or dry cereal, and maybe a few chocolate chips if you crave sweets like I do. I know trail mix can be a bit high in calories, but to me, it's less calories than I would consume if I purchased something on-the-go, and it's so much more satisfying and filling than just eating the same ol' sandwich or plain salad from a cafeteria every day.
  • Curvatures
    Options
    Cook a pot of quinoa, with a bullion cube to flavor it.

Then, add things to it - lightly sauteed cherry tomatoes, chopped up chicken breast, herbs, thinly sliced red onions, chickpeas, corn, wilted baby spinach, diced cheese, sauteed mushrooms, diced hardboiled eggs - whatever you have on hand, and whatever you think will go well. Experiment! My favorite is baby spinach, shiitake mushrooms, red onion, and chickpeas.

Now, add a little vinaigrette dressing - I make my own with garlic and lemon and olive oil, but you can use premade if you don't want to bother. Mix it up, ladle into tupperware containers, and pack for lunches. Best part is, it's really delicious at room temperature, it's a whole grain, so it's healthy carbs, it's filling, and you can add all sorts of veggies or protein to it!