Tips for taming the sweet tooth

Options
I have a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE sweet tooth. I always have since I was a kid. But then I could eat all I want and it not matter! But I have not noticed the few months I have been on here it pretty much dictates my gains and losses. I eat healthy most of the time and don't struggle with choosing good meals/snacks but I just can't stay away from the sweets! There are always goodies around. What helps you guys? And P.S. I have 3 kids so never buying or making sweets isn't an option. We really do eat super healthy but I don't want to deprive my kids of all goodies. I let them have them in moderation. I just can't moderate myself :)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Keep fresh fruit handy. I know fruit can be high in calories too but it also fills you up and contains other micronutrients that are good for you (I see you're a runner so carbs are your friend).

When you're craving something sweet eat a nice juicy pear or banana etc.
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Others will disagree, so this is a completely personal choice I make for myself. I use diet root beer. It is super sweet and satisfies me for the evening. Once I have that with some air popped popcorn spritzed with butter flavor spray I feel like I have been totally sinful when I stayed ok!

Edit: Oh and raisins too! High calorie but just a couple is like sneaking chocolate chips for me!
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    I have a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE sweet tooth. I always have since I was a kid. But then I could eat all I want and it not matter! But I have not noticed the few months I have been on here it pretty much dictates my gains and losses. I eat healthy most of the time and don't struggle with choosing good meals/snacks but I just can't stay away from the sweets! There are always goodies around. What helps you guys? And P.S. I have 3 kids so never buying or making sweets isn't an option. We really do eat super healthy but I don't want to deprive my kids of all goodies. I let them have them in moderation. I just can't moderate myself :)

protein cuts down your craving for sweets :-)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Chromium has been working well for me. I read a book on insulin resistance that suggested it.
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    I really like to have something sweet at night so I started eating dark chocolate. Dove has dark chocolate and almond bars, I think it is like 45 calories a piece. Dark chocolate has a lot of health benefits and 45 calories shouldn't ruin your calorie goals. Also, though not as healthy but Weight Watchers has a 45 calorie snack size fudgesicle that is amazingly good. Fat free greek vanilla yogurt with some fresh berries is good too.

I am now in maintenance mode and I never felt like I did deprive or am still depriving myself of anything. I think it's possible to find a healthier version of almost anything you crave.
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate I absolutely love chocolates cakes and sweets of all kinds
    But I've noticed I'm not craving any of them especially in the last week --yesterday after such a long time I felt like something sweet so I grabbed a Lindt Excellence Dark chocolate after two squares I was satisified didn't care for more which was strange lol

But I quickly discovered the reason I was not having any of the sweet treats and wasnt craving them at all was because I added something to surpress my appetite which in turn eliminated my cravings
    -- The secret is to incorporate tea into your daily regime anytime of the day especially green tea you can get varieties of green tea - earl grey green tea pomegranate green tea blueberry lemon honey peppermint ...,

Try it you'll see the difference
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Sorry............but the ONLY way to tame the sweet tooth is not give in to it.

That is where self-determination and DISCIPLINE come into play. It sounds like you have no self- discipline or you have an addiction problem.

I am sorry, but if you have no control over it, then it shouldn't be in the house. Your kids don't need junk anyway.

Why let your kids have stuff that isn't good for them. That isn't deprivation - that is wanting the best for your children and their health.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Since you run alot and are close to goal, it's possible that sweet craving is really just needing to up your starch. There is no taste associated with starch, so it can be translated by your body as sweet. I know on evenings that we have sweet potatoes with dinner I'm much less likely to go looking for the dark chocolate later. Something to try. And if that's not it, try to find something else like fruit or flavored teas that will satisfy the craving but be a little healthier.
  • squashyhelen
    squashyhelen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh ... but either cough drops or sugar free vitamin C candies really do the trick for me. Of course, I have a terrible sweet tooth, but a Ricola seems to curb me for a little while. If you're like me, it hits hardest from 2-4:30, then 8:30 onward. Ricola all the way!
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Agree with discipline.

I also had a wicked sweet tooth. I had to go cold turkey for a month to get the cravings to stop. Now I can eat a little sweet something now and then without any revertion cravings but I did have to suffer through the first month to break the cycle.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I zinc deficiency can cause sweet cravings.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    especially now that its cold....hot chocolate...i do the diet or no sugar added for 25 and 50 calories...plus its hot so i have to sip it slowly..takes awhile, much longer to drink than it takes me to gobble 3 mini candy bars and only a third of the calories.