lower sugar fruit? Or alternative to keep sugar down?

Options
Hey all,

I'm hitting my daily limit on sugar usually before 10am, by that time I've had a pre-workout shake with a banana, post workout shake with banana and strawberries in it, and then my morning breakfast which includes blueberries. I will usually have an apple or two throughout the day and some grapes as well, then just whatever sugar comes in the food I'm going to eat. consequently my carbs are usually fine, but my sugar intake is high.

I was thinking of nixing the fruit in my post workout shake and subbing in waximaze. Is there a good fruit other than a banana I can have with my shake first thing when I wake up before working out that may have a little lower sugar?

Thanks

~Casey

Replies

• wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Berries or melon would be a good options...
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I'm hitting my daily limit on sugar usually before 10am, ... but my sugar intake is high.
    According to whom? MFP's sugar limits are known to be low, one or 2 pieces of fruit will often put you at the wall. Unless your doctor is telling you a certain limit, many people would suggest discounting what MFP gives you, maybe just look at the overall carb numbers instead. There's a whole "good sugar vs. bad sugar" thing all over the forums if you feel like searching.
  • cybertazet
    Options
    Bananas have alot of potassium, which helps to keep your muscles from cramping after a workout. Fruit isnt bad sugar maybe cut out sugar in other areas.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Don't count your fruit sugars. Only count added sugars in foods and drinks. How can you NOT reach your sugar limit by 10am with this faulty counting system they have here?
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Use 1/2 a banana in each shake instead of a whole one & Berries
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of nixing the fruit in my post workout shake and subbing in waximaze.

Replacing micronutrient-rich fruit with an empty carb source is a terrible idea. Is there a specific reason you're worried about your sugar intake?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yup, berries.

That's a lot of fruit, but if it doesn't affect you in any negative way, don't worry about it. For me, I have to limit my fruit (max 2 servings per day), so I get most of those nutrients from vegetables instead. If I eat too much fruit, even though healthy, I start feeling hungry all the time and over-eating. Basically, my satiety signals get turned off, and that's what can lead me back down the road of uncontrollable eating and poor health.

Edit: What the heck is "waximaze"??? Time to Google.... "bio-engineered complex carbs"... um, no thanks. In that case, stick with the fruit. I'm of the thought that natural food is better for the body. Yeah, dumb, I know.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like berries, too. I blend 1/4 cup (about 30g) of frozen blueberries or frozen strawberries in my protein shake - they have about 3g of sugar. (And using frozen berries gives it the texture of a smoothie.)

Otherwise, why not nix the apple and grapes in the afternoon and snack on almonds instead?
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah man, if it came from God why would it be bad for you?

best-philosoraptor-tomatos-fruit.jpg
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I was told berries like blueberries, etc. Get the frozen ones and toss those in to make your smoothie! :)
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Please don't replace a whole food that is nutrient rich for a proccessed substitue =)
  • b1essed
    Options
    I would love to eat more fruit but watching sugar too.....doctor said my toe is in the water (referring to prediabetes).....he told me to follow south beach but I still don't know how much sugar/carbs is ok.....
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i'd be more concerned about 'added/refined sugars'. wouldnt bother with the naturally occurring fruit sugars. keep it real.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Why do you want to keep your sugar intake low?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Blackberries and raspberries are among the lowest. But fructose doesn't really remain in the bloodstream in significant quantities and, on average, a 100 gram serving is only 7g of fructose. Theoretically, about 50g is usually when potential negatives are seen, health-wise, according to studies. But 700g of fruits would be a ridiculously large amount which I doubt you are eating.
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Thanks a lot for the info. I have no need to keep my sugar low other than just recently starting to use this site. I think my diet on here is public (not sure how that works?) so you can see what I'm eating... I don't consume much processed anything. My carbs are in check so I guess I'm good, I will stick with my regular routine.

Thanks for the heads up all ;)

~ Casey
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I initially had MFP set to check my sugar, chol, fat, & sodium. Just like you experienced, a couple pieces of fruit and I was over. I took out the sugar and added protein. My doctor said my regular eating habits are spot on, so I'm not worrying.
  • giorno88
    Options
    Try adding spinach or kale to still get those nutrients without much sugar (I don't know if you do that already, but it's a good way to add more nutrients without all the sugar, also bulks up your smoothies). Don't cut out fruit all together. Melons are great, so are most berries
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Try adding spinach or kale to still get those nutrients without much sugar (I don't know if you do that already, but it's a good way to add more nutrients without all the sugar, also bulks up your smoothies). Don't cut out fruit all together. Melons are great, so are most berries

Thanks, I throw kale and spinache into my smoothies, and make kale chips in the oven, although I haven't since I started MFP.. need to get on that. ;)