Excessive POST exercise sweating

Options
I hope someone can help me! I've been having a problem with excessive sweating after cardio. I went to the gym during a lunch break today and did a 25 min HIIT workout, plus a 10 minute warm up and cool down. Now I'm back in my office, after showering, and am still sweating excessively, all over (back, neck, stomach etc). It is accompanied with chills, feels somewhat like a cold sweat. I thought that a cool down would help with this-but it hasn't. Anyone else experienced this? and what do you do?

Replies

• supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Best advice is talk to a doctor if you have the means. I sweat a little after i'm done working out but it will only last maybe 5 minutes.

edit: or at the very least, mention it to any nurse/doctor friends you might have. i don't have health insurance, so when i have a concern i will mention it to my aunt who is an RN.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Sorry, my only advice is go to a doctor!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I sweat my butt off after as well and then I freeze. I got back about 50 mins ago from excessive cardio and now I'm cold. If you're hot cold hot cold, you could be getting sick.
  • starjumper12
    Options
    i seem to remember reading that a cold sweat right after working out had something to do with the thyroid... i'd get it checked by a dr.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    How long are you cooling down for? And... you said you did HIIT? My HIIT days take me forever to stop sweating. Some people sweat more than others. I doubt it's any big problem. if it bothers you, talk to your doctor.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It's normal for sweat rate to increase at the conclusion of the activity. It's the body's way of dissipating heat that is built up during exercise. During the exercise, blood flow goes to where it's needed for the activity. When you are finished, the body route the blood flow more to the surface of the skin to help dissipate the heat.
  • hollywoodguy99
    hollywoodguy99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, i do not sweat much during the workout, but after i stop i sweat big time. I have to immediately strip off my shirt and just eat breakfast/ relax and wait for the sweating to stop before showering, otherwise I continue to sweat after my shower in my clothes(gross). Most my immediate family is this way.

The chills is odd though, is your office super A/Ced? Seeing a doctor may be in order if this is debilitating.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Since you're still sweating after a shower, you should probably see a doctor or like some above mentioned, ask friends in the medical profession.
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'll t/b with a doc :) It kinda seems like I might just have to suck it up though :sad:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I actually think it's normal. You've elevated your body temperature by doing the cardio and for me, 10 minutes has never been enough time to fully cool down.

I don't think your doctor is going to be able to help you, because I don't think there is anything wrong other than your body doing what i needs to do to cool down.
  • bcnieto
    bcnieto Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I realize this an old post and I have the same problem. I read it might be an iron deficiency so I try to take iron supplements. After a workout I sweat more than my actual work especially when it's hot. I take a shower and still sweat excessively even hours later. Especially on my back. I don't know what the problem is because I feel cold when I'm sweating but it might be because i'm trying to cool off with the air turned on high and the fan on blast. Did you ever see a doctor? Thanks!