Put on weight :(

Options
I was eating 1200 when I first started here in September (after a previous attempt in June 2011)
I lost around 6 pounds over the course of a month and upped my calories to 1290 because I was getting more exercise than I ever have done before.
I hit a plateu at the beginning of October and it was suggested that I up my calories again.~

I'm now eating 1480 calories a day + exercise calories.

But after a week of being away from my scale it says that I have gained 2 pounds? :(

Replies

• raichhype
    raichhype Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    By the way here are some stats:

19 years old, 180 pounds, 5 foot 2, active - I walk everywhere all day and try to do some aerobic videos when I can, nothing too heavy at the moment!
  • hellokitty41489
    Options
    Are you eating all of your exercise calories or just part of them? I noticed MFP exaggerates the exercise calories so I only eat about half back; when I was eating them all back I wasn't losing anything.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Unless you're using a HRM I wouldn't eat back all of your exercise calories, maybe go 50-75%. When I first upped my calories it took my body about a week and a half to adjust before I started losing again. Give it a few more weeks, then re-evaluate. Good luck!
  • maniakmyke
    maniakmyke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    another thing to consider is perhaps your gaining muscle? since muscle weighs more then fat you might be losing inches as opposed to pounds. NEVER TRUST THE SCALE 100% it is not the have all be all in weight loss!!!!!

take measurements see how clothes are fitting etc etc. the scale is a LIAR!

chin up and move forward!!!

you got this!
  • raichhype
    Options
    Are you eating all of your exercise calories or just part of them? I noticed MFP exaggerates the exercise calories so I only eat about half back; when I was eating them all back I wasn't losing anything.

I'm eating half of them back, yes. I was eating them all back at one point but I stopped loosing then. x
  • raichhype
    Options
    another thing to consider is perhaps your gaining muscle? since muscle weighs more then fat you might be losing inches as opposed to pounds. NEVER TRUST THE SCALE 100% it is not the have all be all in weight loss!!!!!

take measurements see how clothes are fitting etc etc. the scale is a LIAR!

chin up and move forward!!!

you got this!

I need to get a measuring tape I really do! I haven't measured myself in months and I was 38-36-45 then.
    So I really should check, I know that my clothes are looser :)
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    I only eat my daily calorie intake I'm suppost to eat, I never go into the calories I have burned through exercise.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Perhaps leave it longer than a week and see if those 2 lbs come off again? The numbers on the scale don't just represent how much fat you have on your body, but also the food you eat (and the waste it turns into), and the water that makes up most of your body. Water fluctuations can happen when you increase/decrease carbs or sodium, when you change your exercise programme, and as a result of hormonal changes. Unless you ate significantly over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) all week, it's extremely unlikely that you gained 2 lbs of fat.

ETA: unless you have estimated that you've burned several thousand calories in exercise in a week, then the eating exercise calories back or not thing is a red herring.