How can I add flavor to this bland recipe?

Options
Doesntplaynice82
Doesntplaynice82 Posts: 119 Member
I bought a Betty Crocker 300 calorie Cook book....the book is decent but I have found lots of the recipes to be bland. Can you help with this one I am making tonight?

Creamy Chicken-noodle Skillet

1 tablespoon canola oil (i'm using extra virgin olive oil)
1 LB boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
1 Medium onion chopped (using a frozen seasoning blend instead)
1 cup baby carrots cut in half lengthwise
1 cup frozen broccoli cuts
1 cup uncooked egg noodles
1 can (14oz) chicken broth
1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken soup

1. in a 12 inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over med-high heat. Cook chicken and onion in oil 6 to 8 mins, stirring frequently, until chicken is brown and onion is just tender.

2. stir remaning ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 10 minutes. Uncover; simmer 5 to 8 minutes longer stirring until tender.

1 serving=300 calories 90 from fat. Total fat 10g
So my problem is the chicken is super bland...HELP!!!

Replies

• K1tt
    K1tt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Some chillies? They wouldn't add much calorie wise.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    hot sauce!

:)
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My go-to additions to a bland recipe are red pepper flakes or Thai garlic chili paste for spice. Or garlic - lots and lots of garlic :)
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    Herbs are always a good choice for making a recipe have more taste and they are zero calories :)
    I would add some thyme, rosemary and oregano to this one!
  • weliveaswedream
    weliveaswedream Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Spices and herbs have no calories and this recipes has none of that! I would definitely add some pepper, Maybe not salt because the chicken broth probably adds enough on its own. I would also add in some thyme and basil. I also put garlic in pretty much everything but that's just me.

Good luck! Sounds like a good recipe, just in need of some flavor.
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    garlic, garlic, garlic.

A pinch of thyme would go well with these ingredients. Maybe some sage.

Season the chicken before you cook it with some mrs. dash or whatever seasons you prefer.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Garlic and Mrs. Dash!
  • spangey13
    Options
    You know what... I think you should try some Donna Hay recipes! Those are FULL of flavour and most of them are pretty decent calorie wise.
    Donna Hay is an Australian cook and I get the magazine delivered every 2nd month. Most of my meals come out of those magazines.

I agree with BlackKat75, though - depending on the flavour of your meal - I add lots of garlic to everything!

For a fresh/zesty/summery taste, add a few basil leaves and a bit of lime juice to stirfrys or salads
  • Doesntplaynice82
    Doesntplaynice82 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am domestically challenged so I have no idea how to season things LOL
  • cornlady
    Options
    I like to marinate my chicken in soy sauce and spices at least a few hours if not over night. Best to dice into chunks so that all sides of meat are able to absorb the flavors.
    You can season with garlic and onion powders, red pepper, thyme and cumin. Or what ever seasons you like.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil all the time.
    For this recipe ---- dont.
    Use cannola.

Salt and pepper chicken, do not cut it.
    Put it in hot pan and dont mess with it.
    Do not put a lid on the pan
    Flip it
    Check w thermometer to make sure done.
    Cut it aftewards.

Salt and pepper and browning the chicken will do a ton for flavor.
    Simple.
    Its all about technique. Carmnelize that chicken.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Cook the veggies in a separate frying pan (you can use olive oil for this)
    Salt and pepper veggies.

Take chicken out when done and let it rest.
    Add half the chicken stock to the hot chicken pan.
    It will smoke like crazy.
    Scrape the bits of chicken from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
    This is called deglazing. You are now a chef. You just deglazed a pan.

Reduce the heat.
    You can add 1 cup of white wine and spices now if you want. Leave the wine out if you are really counting calories.
    Look at the liquid.
    Simmer until half the liquid has evaporated.

Mix 1-2 TBS flour into the remainder of the cold chicken stock. (This is called a slurry. It will thicken the sauce. It is easier and has less fat than a roux)
    Add this cold mixture to the liquid in the pan.
    Reduce by half.

Dump the noodles, chopped chicken and veggies into the sauce and stir.
    Remove from heat.
    Put it on your plate and shred half ounce of real parmesian cheese on top.

Throw away the cream of mushroom soup.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    salt.
    or chicken bullion.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    italian seasoning, garlic onion powder, red pepper or black pepper flakes
  • Roboartist
    Options
    Fresh sage or poultry seasoning, fresh parsley would make that like Thanksgiving lite. Curry if you want a tastebud adventure.

Edited to add WINE lol.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Being Asian, I would put this in my chicken soup: garlic, ginger, green onion.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe some garlic and a good handful of chopped fresh basil or thyme.
    Or, if you like spice, a couple of fresh jalapenos. Or mild peppers and some chili powder.
  • moneblazes
    Options
    You could always try adding lemon while you make the chicken. Also, I like to put salsa into the pan while I cook, it's low calorie and yummy!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Take the recipe on a world tour... Add tarragon, shallot, garlic, drop the pasta and add white beans, switch duck for chicken and its cassoulet from France... Add fresh basil, dry oregano, garlic, and red pepper flake to take it to Italy, typical rustic chicken soup... Add turmeric, garlic, cumin, coriander, garlic and switch out the pasta for some garbanzo beans and couscous to take it to Morocco... Add garlic, saffron, drop half the pasta and add some white beans to take it to a variation on olla podrida from Spain... add some peanuts, ginger, fish sauce, cilantro, garlic, thai chile and take it to Thailand... add some jalapeno and serrano peppers, hominy instead of pasta, cumin, garlic, and cilantro and it goes to Mexico... The possibilities are nearly endless with a few substitutions and a few additions this simple bland soup can become a culinary visit to exotic locales.
  • celshade
    celshade Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I bought a Betty Crocker 300 calorie Cook book....the book is decent but I have found lots of the recipes to be bland. Can you help with this one I am making tonight?

Creamy Chicken-noodle Skillet

1 tablespoon canola oil (i'm using extra virgin olive oil)
    1 LB boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 Medium onion chopped (using a frozen seasoning blend instead)
    1 cup baby carrots cut in half lengthwise
    1 cup frozen broccoli cuts
    1 cup uncooked egg noodles
    1 can (14oz) chicken broth
    1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken soup

1. in a 12 inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over med-high heat. Cook chicken and onion in oil 6 to 8 mins, stirring frequently, until chicken is brown and onion is just tender.

2. stir remaning ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 10 minutes. Uncover; simmer 5 to 8 minutes longer stirring until tender.

1 serving=300 calories 90 from fat. Total fat 10g
    So my problem is the chicken is super bland...HELP!!!

First, trim the chicken of all the fat. While on the cutting board, liberally season the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (not garlic salt). I find it easiest to pour the salt in my palm and take a pinch from it to sprinkle over the breast.

I personally heat up my skillet and spray with nonstick spray, then lay the chicken breast there and let it cook without touching it or moving it. You can throw the onions around the sides if you want to give them a headstart on the flavor.

I wait until the chicken has a white ring of cooked chicken around the edges before flipping, ensuring a nice little browning on the other side. Respray the skillet with nonstick spray while you are holding the chicken up with a spatula, so you won't burn the other side.

Down the still raw side goes until the chicken feels firm. Take the chicken out and let it rest under some foil if you want to keep the flies away.

In the same pan without wiping or rinsing it out, add carrots to the pan to start cooking - you don't want to just boil the carrots without sauteing them first.

Continue cooking onions and carrots in the same pan until they are as done as you want them. Use the onion to really scrub off all that chicken goodness on the pan!

Last in should be the broccoli for a quick run around the pan to absorb the seasoning. You can add a pinch more salt here and a little garlic to bring out the flavor.

The carrots and broccoli should still be firm - this recipe has you cook the crap out of them to where they will break down.

Cut your chicken into the chunks and readd it in the pan. NOW you can add the rest of the ingredients and cook the crap out of it until the noodles are tender.

---- Good luck! ---

Side note: The biggest reason this recipe tastes bland is the Campbell's Soup. Packed full of sodium yet somehow lacking all flavor, their Cream of Mushroom soup completely eludes me.

Next time, consider making your own cream of mushroom - it's really easy. Nonstick spray and throw a pack of sliced mushrooms in, salt and garlic powder until they are sizzling on both sides, and 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1/2 cup sour cream. You can add some fresh Thyme and black pepper at the end.