Insulin resistance

Options
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone in the know can canswer my quick question I have...

Can someone who is insulin resistant still lose weight on a carb based diet?

Thanks!

Replies

• I couldn't but my MIL could so it depends on the person. On a low fat/ higher carb diet, I can't control my eating. I guess I'm just too weak. But my MIL had no problems eating that way but I have to admit she lost very slowly (this was several years ago now--she's since past away from cancer).

Georgia
  • stoomc
    Options
    I couldn't but my MIL could so it depends on the person. On a low fat/ higher carb diet, I can't control my eating. I guess I'm just too weak. But my MIL had no problems eating that way but I have to admit she lost very slowly (this was several years ago now--she's since past away from cancer).

Georgia

Thanks for the reply Georgia.

What I was trying to get to the bottom of was, some would have you believe (ignoring issues with hunger) that if you were insulin resistant, you COULDN'T lose weight with a carb based diet!

So basically, insulin resistance is more about hunger (after carbs) than it is about something going on in your body that wont allow you to lose weight if you have carbs even when in a deficit.

Thanks again!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I couldn't but my MIL could so it depends on the person. On a low fat/ higher carb diet, I can't control my eating. I guess I'm just too weak. But my MIL had no problems eating that way but I have to admit she lost very slowly (this was several years ago now--she's since past away from cancer).

Georgia

Thanks for the reply Georgia.

What I was trying to get to the bottom of was, some would have you believe (ignoring issues with hunger) that if you were insulin resistant, you COULDN'T lose weight with a carb based diet!

So basically, insulin resistance is more about hunger (after carbs) than it is about something going on in your body that wont allow you to lose weight if you have carbs even when in a deficit.

Thanks again!

The majority of people can NOT lose weight on a carb based plan or they lose very little........leaving them dependent of drugs. If that is the life you want to live, then so be it.

My Dr at Washington University in St Louis is doing a study and research now about starches and sugar and how it feeds cancer and causes it to grow at a faster rate.
  • wifeyplus6
    Options
    I think it depends upon how insulin resistant your cells are/ severity of your case. Severe insulin resistance is much different than mild. It is something chemically in your body. When you eat carbs it overloads your pancreas and liver. (because the stomache dumps the food in as little as 20 minutes not 2 hours like average people) The overloading of the organs causes them to dump copious amounts of insulin into the stream to help your body 'digest'. because the cells have become resistant to the insulin, it isn't absorbed and it recirculates in the blood stream, the blood sugar will rise, causing the body to make more insulin to cope with the blood sugar. It becomes a vicious cycle. One of the side effects of this process is feeling hunger when you aren't hungry, but the hunger is really the tip of the iceburg. The insulin that is in your body in excess is eventually what causes the food to be stored as fat. So you can see that the severity of your personal insulin resistance is what dictates what kind of diet you would need. It is not a one size fits all kind of thing.
  • I know my endocrinologist no longer recommends high carb/low fat diets for any of his patients. I eat a combination of South Beach and Carb Addicts (kind of a South Carb Addicts :-) and I'm losing weight. When I follow low carb, I control my weight. When I don't, I can't. My A1C follows suit (before my weight does, too).

Georgia
  • stoomc
    Options
    [/quote]

The majority of people can NOT lose weight on a carb based plan or they lose very little........leaving them dependent of drugs. If that is the life you want to live, then so be it.

My Dr at Washington University in St Louis is doing a study and research now about starches and sugar and how it feeds cancer and causes it to grow at a faster rate.
    [/quote]

Oh please! I have never heard so much rubbish in my life!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I know my endocrinologist no longer recommends high carb/low fat diets for any of his patients. I eat a combination of South Beach and Carb Addicts (kind of a South Carb Addicts :-) and I'm losing weight. When I follow low carb, I control my weight. When I don't, I can't. My A1C follows suit (before my weight does, too).

Georgia

I agree.

Now, I used to follow the Atkins way of eating and lived medication free. Since I have transitioned over from Atkins to Paleo and gave up the legumes, grains and store purchased dairy I have pretty much gotten off of thyroid meds also.

I have an A1C of 5.4%, which is completely normal. I used to have an A1C of up or 11%
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Dr. Joel Fuhrman, "The Blood Sugar Solution." Please read it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

It is not rubbish. That is FACT. Why do you think Doctors are placing people on the low carb plans to live? Because their bodies do NOT handle carbs.

You obviously have no experience or knowledge - why speak on something you know nothing about?!?!?!?! I have over 10 years of experience dealing with Endocrinologists dealing with Diabetes, Thryoid issues, PCOS and a pituitary tumor.

Oh please yourself.

And YES, cancer feeds off sugar. The body loves glucose. Your body's cells love glucose. Because cancer cells divide more frequently than regular cells, they tend to eat more. So, yes... they feed off sugar, but so does the rest of your body.
  • stoomc
    Options
    insulin that is in your body in excess is eventually what causes the food to be stored as fat. So you can see that the severity of your personal insulin resistance is what dictates what kind of diet you would need. It is not a one size fits all kind of thing.

Even while in a calorie deficit though?

Thanks
  • stoomc
    Options

It is not rubbish. That is FACT. Why do you think Doctors are placing people on the low carb plans to live? Because their bodies do NOT handle carbs.

You obviously have no experience or knowledge - why speak on something you know nothing about?!?!?!?! I have over 10 years of experience dealing with Endocrinologists dealing with Diabetes, Thryoid issues, PCOS and a pituitary tumor.

Oh please yourself.

And YES, cancer feeds off sugar. The body loves glucose. Your body's cells love glucose. Because cancer cells divide more frequently than regular cells, they tend to eat more. So, yes... they feed off sugar, but so does the rest of your body.

I will please myself, thanks. I do not your help. You are an extremist to a T. Your feedback is not required in this thread.

EDIT; Edit to add... it's funny how I have lost a LOT of weight on a carb based diet. This thread was not a question on carbs making us fat... the sane among us know the answer to that question!
    This thread was not referring to a problem I was having.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I couldn't. But everyone is different.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    insulin that is in your body in excess is eventually what causes the food to be stored as fat. So you can see that the severity of your personal insulin resistance is what dictates what kind of diet you would need. It is not a one size fits all kind of thing.

Thanks

If you have insulin resistance, you need to throw the rubbish thinking of calories in, calorie out - out the window. IT DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU.

I ate at a deficiet for years and years and gained over 140 pounds. My regular family Dr never once tested me for Diabetes, even though I asked him to. At one point during that time I was barely eating 700 calories a day (mostly carbs because I was told low protein and low fat by that stupid Doctor).

My gynecologist tested me when I went for my yarly exam. He is the one that found I have PCOS, Diabetes, Thyroid and pitutiary tumor issues. I was then referred over to the Endocrinologist and I have learned loads and loads from her and about the human body.
  • stoomc
    Options

Thanks
    I ate at a deficiet for years and years and gained over 140 pounds. My regular family Dr never once tested me for Diabetes, even though I asked him to. At one point during that time I was barely eating 700 calories a day (mostly carbs because I was told low protein and low fat by that stupid Doctor).

I find that very, very hard to believe that you were eating 700 calories a day and gained 140 pounds... you really are making yourself look very silly now.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Oh please yourself.

I will please myself, thanks. I do not your help. You are an extremist to a T. Your feedback is not required in this thread.

EDIT; Edit to add... it's funny how I have lost a LOT of weight on a carb based diet. This thread was not a question on carbs making us fat... the sane among us know the answer to that question!
    This thread was not referring to a problem I was having.

You know nothing about me and even if I am an extremist - I AM HEALTHY. I AM ON NO MEDICATIONS.

And I have as much of a right to speak in this thread or any as this is a public forum.

I have not disrepected you in any way - you are the one disrespecting me.

And if you don't think carbs make you fat, then you are sadly mistaken. Why do you think they feed grains to cattle and other livestock animals??????????? To fatten them up.

I am probably one of the most sane people around here on these forums.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Thanks

I find that very, very hard to believe that you were eating 700 calories a day and gained 140 pounds... you really are making yourself look very silly now.

No, I am not joking at all. You obviously have no grasp of the concept of SEVERE METABOLIC issues.
  • stoomc
    Options
    We will just have to agree to disagree
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I couldn't. Doc recommended South Beach (this was all years ago) I lost 65 lbs in 4 months and insulin resistance to the point of faining while driving one time all but dissapeared.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yes. Its about knowing what to eat and what not to eat. Eat according to the glycemic index..for instance..raw carrots..not cooked. brown rice not white rice..whole grain bread not white bread..

You can try Paleo or even a Primal diet..yes..it helped me lose..but I couldn't maintain not eating cheese or yogurt..But I am on metformin aswell..I take it 3 times a day..so now I do 40% carbs a day which dont bother me at all..but I also lift heavy 3 times a week..
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the answer to this, but am curious also. Doc says I'm develping insulin resistance. So far I'm losing weight and haven't excessively cut out carbs. But I'm only at the "developing insulin resistance" stage so maybe that's the difference.