THE MOST IMPORTANT 90 MINUTES OF YOUR LIFE

Options
lt_mrcook
lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
Please watch the video from Dr. Lustig at UCSF Medical Center. I believe this will help more of us lose more weight than anything else we may ever see. It's IS long (~90 minutes) and parts are purely scientific, but if you understand the basic premise by the end you will have saved your life. Good luck o you all and God bless us each on our journey.

http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=16717

Replies

• kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    will check this out later...thanks for sharing! have a great day!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Tagging to watch later. Thanks!
  • rschwa
    rschwa Posts: 27
    Options
    You know, posting a link like that with no summary of the content always says to me 'loony nutjob wants me to LEARN THE TRUTH', and I assume it's going to be something like the timecube, so I typically don't even bother clicking. You should post at least the summary on the site:
    Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin.
    I've been doing some reading about fructose lately, so I might check this out later, but really, hyperbole never helped any cause.
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've watched the video before - it's called Sugar: The Bitter Truth.
    It's very well done, extremely well explained and very very depressing. Not to mention it will make you angry and feel kind of nauseated...

But yes, it's an explanation of why fructose is bad (including the fructose that's part of table sugar) - from a biochemical point of view.
  • Lookgreat
    Lookgreat Posts: 63
    Options
    bump - will watch it later
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    So yeah, sugar is bad. I know this. The thing is, sugar must be in everything cause I always go over on my sugar but always way under on my other cals. Maybe I'll start buying 'sugar free' stuff.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    So yeah, sugar is bad. I know this. The thing is, sugar must be in everything cause I always go over on my sugar but always way under on my other cals. Maybe I'll start buying 'sugar free' stuff.

Read Gillian cKeith's book You Are What You Eat before you start sticking chemicals in your body. Sugar free does not do you any favours
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hmm... I'll have to check this out at some point this week. Thanks for sharing.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • aprildh
    aprildh Posts: 90
    Options
    Do not buy sugar free stuff!! Take this from a Type 1 Diabetic. It is not sugar free, they contain sugar alcohols and by law are allowed to say they are sugar free and they usually have more carbs in them than the real thing. Stay away from it and other "fake fad" prepacked diet foods. I'm learning that eating real foods is much better and in moderation.
  • LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Not sugar so much as fructose. Glucose and sucrose are more easily broken down and made available for energy. Fructose stays around, mucks up your liver and turns into fat.
  • Krickette_16
    Options
    I'll be checking this one out later. Thanks for sharing.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When I started nursing 30 years 1 out of say 7 patients, maybe 10 even was a diabetic. Today it is not unusual for every single one of my patients to be a diabetic. So in just 30 years. Also the majority, including me, are overweight. What changed?

I go to the store and see grocery carts filled with cases of pop and prepared foods. With both parents working the quick and easy way to prepare meals has become the norm. And pop! We used to get pop maybe once a year as a special treat on our birthday. Now I see children drinking bottles of the stuff a day. Diabetes has increased in children. We are seeing fatty livers in children. We really do have to change the way we eat.

Has anyone seen Food Inc. It's another eye opener on how our foods our grown and why eating local and organic is possible is the best.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When I started nursing 30 years 1 out of say 7 patients, maybe 10 even was a diabetic. Today it is not unusual for every single one of my patients to be a diabetic. So in just 30 years. Also the majority, including me, are overweight. What changed?

I go to the store and see grocery carts filled with cases of pop and prepared foods. With both parents working the quick and easy way to prepare meals has become the norm. And pop! We used to get pop maybe once a year as a special treat on our birthday. Now I see children drinking bottles of the stuff a day. Diabetes has increased in children. We are seeing fatty livers in children. We really do have to change the way we eat.

Has anyone seen Food Inc. It's another eye opener on how our foods our grown and why eating local and organic is possible is the best.
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    tagging to watch later
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the hyperbole...I was in a rush this morning.

All sugars aren't bad Suzi...the refined sugar is...try and watch the video if you can. Eating fruit and veggies, which contain a bunch of sugar isn't bad, since they still have their natural fiber.

sofaking...sucrose is just a glucose molecule and a fructose molecule stuck together. If it's refined or man made, it's most likely bad.

I'd also point everyone, once again, to Michael Pollan's booklet "Food Rules." They are simple and cover most everything in this lecture if you were able to follow them.

Good luck all. I hope this helps even one more of you.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll watch later!
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later :happy:
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.

And to the posters who commented on the Topic hyperbole, it's a good reminder for all of us that even though we may be totally inspired by something, it does come off as a sales pitchy snake oily kind of thing if we don't calm down and clarify. So, thanks for pointing that out as well.