Pain in my shin while working out....Shin Splints?

Options
LisaC1026
LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
Every time I work out I have excruciating pain in my shins (both legs actually). I'm pretty sure they are shin splints, what I'm not sure of is how to get through it. The first time they started hurting I bought new shoes and the pain went away. Then the pain came back and I stopped using the treadmill (I was only rapid pace walking, not a runner). Now it seems no matter what I do (stretching included) the pain does not let up any time I work out. I've taken about a month off working out (slipping in an occasional workout in between) but I still get that same pain. I do not feel that cutting my workouts is the answer...

I plan on buying shoe inserts for my arch tonight and using them during my workout that I'm hoping to do tonight.

Any other suggestions?!?! I need HELP! I miss the adrenaline from working out...

Replies

• skinnydee
    skinnydee Posts: 23
    Options
    ooooouch !!!!
    I know that pain well !! wish I knew how to stop it. I can't use a treadmill because of it, and walking always brings it on aswell. I did read it was caused by footwear.
    I have changed to exerciseing with the eliptical cross trainer and now I never get shin splits :happy:
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Is it a burning pain up the front of your legs, lower down near your ankle?

That is shin splints - too much working out when your muscles havent recovered from the last one.

If you have swelling then you need to ice and strap the ankle/shin area and rest with the leg elevated (higher than your heart ie on a chair!)

Do not attempt to exercise while this is still hurting you, it is small ligaments tearing away from the shin bone because the muscle supporting them is too tired to do its job in supporting your weight.

I had it on both ankles and ended up in plaster for both mine.
    Mine were caused by over training and not enough calories and not enough rest between exercising. ( I was bulimic and power-walked 200 plus miles a week!) I am still not able to train like I used to so please look after yourself and heal properly. Any exercise which does not bear your weight as much will be ok though, such as cycling.

AND of course CORRECT FOOTWEAR!!!
    xxx

and strap that leg when you workout too to support the muscles.
  • LisaC1026
    Options
    It is a burning pain - but I'd say that it starts about half way between my ankle and my knee and goes down to my ankle. Sound like a shin splint?
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    my shins are tight when I'm running lately. I asked another runner for a good stretch and she said to stretch my hip flexors since that can transfer down the leg.
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    :smile: I am in the same boat!!! I used to get them alot when I was younger and was running cross country, I was told at that time by my coach that it was from running on tar or hard surfaces and also from leading with my heel when running which isn't really something I can change!! It is a response to the impact when your foot touches down. There isn't much you can do to get rid of them only make them better and they probably will reoccur. First and foremost you MUST stretch well before your workout to wake up those muscles and also I use resistance bands to help isolate the muscles, that way you can stretch it out without putting pressure on it (sit on the floor with your legs outstretched in front of you and put the band around the ball of your foot and push forward slowly and pull back slowly while pulling tension on the band) they sell many different bands so go with the weakest to start and you can build up as needed. Hope this hepls!! You can also use some kind of an Icyhot cream or Mineral Ice to help sooth, they sell them over the counter and they are menthol based ointments/creams that help numb the pain a little, temporarily!
    Michelle
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes it sounds like shin splints to me!!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Generally, changing shoes and stretching shins (sit on floor, leg straight out in front of you, with a tention band wrapped around foot, flex foot away from your and towards you), and lightening your workout for a few days makes it go away. if you're doing this and it's not and even walking is irriating it, you might want to see a doctor because you could have stress fractures and not shin splints.
  • Hevakmj
    Hevakmj Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi, I'm a sports physio and just a little bit of advice to help you. First of all you need to get an official diagnosis of what is going on. Shin Splints is a term thrown around, when it is actually an umbrella term for a number of conditions, Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (MTSS) or in fact compartement syndrome are the most common forms of shin splints in my experience. The positives of having the injury assessed and getting an official diagnosis is that you are more likely to get exactly the right form(s) of treatment you need and get back to normal faster. Go to a sports injury clinic, they'll assess you, how you walk, ask you about your training, footwear etc. The treatment is most likley to involve some form of massage, possibly hot or cold therapies, taping and some very specific stretching and exercise advice for aftercare, all of which will be aimed at the exact type of shin splints you have. From what you've said, it seems that you are predisposed to the condition because of the arches in your feet, that should come out when your gait(how you walk) is assessed. I would recommend at this stage if there is inflammation, apply ice, elevate the leg, do not do any weight bearing, resistance involved exercise, instead swap it for non - weight bearing exercise such as swimming, running in the water, cycling etc. Ibuprofen is an NSAID non steroid anti inflammatory drug you can take if it is very painful, but it only masks the symptoms, remember that.

ps. seeing an orthotics expert for the correct soles in your trainers is essential, they need to be tailored to your specific needs.
  • Hevakmj
    Hevakmj Posts: 12
    Options
    Go to this webpage:

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/shin-spints-distance-runners-epidemic.html

It'll explain a little bit more or what I mean about the different shin splint conditions. Hope it helps
  • tuesgirl1031
    tuesgirl1031 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing, I was using a trianer at the time....he said to really warm up well, I also used med tight ace bandages when I ran. It helped me.
  • LisaC1026
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I bought some inserts for my shoes last night and I noticed that they helped a little just with walking (I didn't workout yet) I have also been doing the alphabet exercise which is summarized here:

This is a simple but effective drill for strengthen all of your lower leg muscles. This is drill is simple to perform and can be done anywhere, even when at work. Simply sit in a chair or on a bench and with your foot held above the floor and your toes pointed out, trace all of the letters of the alphabet with your toes. This simple exercise will use nearly every muscle in your lower leg. Repeat this three times with each foot. (found at the web address that Hevakmj provided above)
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa:

I was researching this shin pain this morning and ur page came up...I wanted to know did you ever get that resolved? if so, How? My pain has been intermittent my last 3 workouts I don't run though...I was doing a jumping jack workout this morning and had to keep pausing through it.

Any relief in sight?

Sarah
  • zoebexi
    zoebexi Posts: 1
    Options
    I am also suffering with pain in my shin but it is higher than half way up my leg, I have also changed my diet so j know this may sound weird but could it be lack of something in mg diet??
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem not long ago. Typically it relates to your shoes. I got new shoes and BAM. Problem solved. Not always the inserts will help. Just a thought.