Cardio machine with Polar HRM sync with chest transmitter?

Options
I usually wear my HRM to the gym because I don't trust the HRM built into the machines (which are all Polar). But I noticed that I didn't need to touch the sensors to get a HR reading on the machine while wearing my chest transmitter. The entire workout my HR was listed. So the next time I left my HRM at home but I didn't get those same HR readings on the machine as before, I had to grab the sensors (obviously). Was the machine syncing up with my chest transmitter? If so, I don't need my watch, right? I don't like touching those sensors on the machines -- they are a nuisance to my preferred motion and they take freakin forever -- so if I just wear my chest strap I am good?

Replies

• Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's reading your chest strap signal. Or possibly someone else's if the machines are close together. I still wear my wrist watch though because I want it to log those sessions.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    They read mine all the time. Unlikely to be a neighbor.
    I still use my digifit app on the iphone for recording purposes, but it's cool to see the number right in front of you.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Your transmitter is transmitting to the machine overruling its read. Its cool how that works. Don't have to glance at my wrist.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've had the same thing happen on the treadmill and the bikes. I like it because I hate looking at my watch (but I do wear it to log it). I've seen my HR show up on the machines as I walk past them so it seems to have a decent range but also be pretty good at picking it up only when you're in the proper location to be using the machine. I did notice that the calorie counts on my watch are always different from the machine though...wish those would sync since I entered all my info into the watch.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I thought so. Thanks for answering.

I understand watches log other info, it's just that some days I'd prefer not to wear it all.
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    yep its pretty neat, most machines will pick up the nearest transmitter. The only problem is sometimes they pick up your neighbours.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if an Arc Trainer will pick up a Polar transmitter? I don't think they use Polar.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yes, the machine was picking up the transmitter from your chest strap. I always feel bad when my signal also gets thrown to the people next to me. Enjoy, it's nice to not have to hold onto the machine to get a reading.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If they use the same frequency yes.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if an Arc Trainer will pick up a Polar transmitter? I don't think they use Polar.

All major commercial brands use Polar receivers. It's a little module (maybe 1 1/2" square) that plugs into the machine console.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I thought so. Thanks for answering.

I understand watches log other info, it's just that some days I'd prefer not to wear it all.

I notice when mine syncs with the machine my HR is correct but the machine still says a higher calorie burn than my watch, so be careful of that if you log your calories.