Neck/Back Surgery and Exercise?

Options
I'm coming off of two months of medically enforced "rest" to working out again. I know what the doc has said but I'd like to hear from people that have had discectomies/micros (mine was L4/L5-L5-S1) and have successfully returned to weight training, cardio, etc. Have you been able to successfully lose/tone? Any advice? Please give me some idea what to expect :tongue: I hate feeling weak and helpless!

P.S. feel free to add me...I need all the motivation/support I can get!!!

Replies

• BehindtheScenes
    BehindtheScenes Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Look up my husband, "Findfan4ever". He had neck surgery several years ago, started working out again this past July and looks AH-MAAAAZ-ZIIIING!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    bump for later response
  • TouchDownJesus
    Options
    anyone?
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Aren't you going through PT post surgery?

You need to build the muscles around the surgery area, and you want to make sure you allow enough heal time, then slowly start working the muscles.

I'd start with the PT, and as you start to phase out of that, listen to the advise of your therapist on how to continue

I've had three surgeries on the same disks as you, last one was ten years ago. I started p90x three weeks ago and this past week I've been flat on my back barely able to walk..... So be careful
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I had a discectomy and laminectomy 15 years ago (L5/S1). The orthopedist advised me to be extra careful and I followed his advice. I don't do any exercises that would put undue strain on my spine, such as heavy lifting, although I did resume running occasionally. Unfortunately, an ankle injury has sidelined that.

To be frank. my back has never been the same and once you've had surgery of that sort you never stop feeling vulnerable. So take care.

The fear of stress to my back is yet another reason I've striven to keep my weight normal.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

You need to build the muscles around the surgery area, and you want to make sure you allow enough heal time, then slowly start working the muscles.

I'd start with the PT, and as you start to phase out of that, listen to the advise of your therapist on how to continue

I've had three surgeries on the same disks as you, last one was ten years ago. I started p90x three weeks ago and this past week I've been flat on my back barely able to walk..... So be careful

Yes, PT is essential. I was terrible inconsistent about my exercises because they're awkward to perform, e.g., bridges, pelvic tilts, the "Superman," the "clam," but you need to build up the muscles in your lumbar region and develop your abs to create a supportive girdle for your spine.
  • backinaction
    backinaction Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had a micro-discectomy on L4/L5 last December and I have returned to full exercise. I have committed to losing weight to ensure that I can return to long distance running without causing undue pressure on my spine. In losing 70 pounds my bad has not felt better and it feels stronger than ever. I have now ran my fastest 5k (31:00) and 5 miler (53:00) post back surgery. I am also lifting 3 days a week (plans developed by a trainer) that make sure I am not putting a lot of pressure on my spine. Building my core muscles has been my focus and it is certainly helping.
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Glad to see to you are back with it. I will advise caution while adding weight training to your program.

Asb for me ..... I had a C4-5, 5-6 discectomy and fusion. My physical therapy focused on range of motion. I strictly abided by my neurosurgeon's advise regarding physical activity and exercise. I didn't start to exercise until aprox 2 years after my surgery. I must admit, most of the time off exercise was of my own doing. I probably should have started light cardio 3 to 6 months after my procedure. Laziness and depression won the battles for 2 years. I probably topped out in weight close to 265-270 lbs.

I must credit my wife for getting me off my lazy depressed butt. She started her weught loss program which got me to start. I haven't looked back either. I'm now down to 197 or so and aiming to start building mass.

As for my neck ...... I still feel the tension and at times need pain meds to help out. The resulting pain and tension is just a normal biproduct of combining weight training to an exercise program of someone having surgery.

The spinal column is the problem though having to support the body and absorbs large amounts of compressive forces. Even with proper biomechanical form, these forces increase EXPONENTIALLY . All execise one does is tied into the backb in one way or another.

I'm fortunate in having a degree that focuses on anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics. Start lightly when adding weights as I have done. Allow your connective tissue and spinal column gain strenght and flexibility slowly as you progress. I also use High Intensity Interval Training on an elliptical machine to burn body fat and calories.

Experiment with your program, however stay on the side of caution and safety at all times. Progress will happen and my results are NOT typical of weight loss programs. I always keep proper mechanics in mind while using weights. Feel free, anyone, to liok over my profile and email me questions.

Remember: Progress, not perfection.
  • TouchDownJesus
    Options

Sorry, surgery was several years ago, have done the PT route and had the doc's ok to start working out again and then a setback.
  • TouchDownJesus
    Options
    I had a discectomy and laminectomy 15 years ago (L5/S1). The orthopedist advised me to be extra careful and I followed his advice. I don't do any exercises that would put undue strain on my spine, such as heavy lifting, although I did resume running occasionally. Unfortunately, an ankle injury has sidelined that.

To be frank. my back has never been the same and once you've had surgery of that sort you never stop feeling vulnerable. So take care.

The fear of stress to my back is yet another reason I've striven to keep my weight normal.

I agree. Fear is what held me back for so long to begin with.