quitting new job etiquette

Options
ReinasWrath
ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
So I have worked at my current job for barely a week now. It was pretty decent but I got an offer from an old employer and I can't refuse, much better pay, benefits , possibility of promotions and more training- current is dead end, minimum wage, no benefits. So I want to quit current one but I don't really know how? I know the usual drill is 2 weeks notice but since I'm technically still in training I feel like that wouldn't apply here. I mean why would they continue to train me if I'm not going to stay? Plus my old place wants me to possibly start on Monday and I am scheduled that day at the current one so I don't think I can even really work another 2 weeks even if they did want me to. I was going to try to negotiate with current place to see if I could have both but both places want me to work same hours so I don't see them changing me around for my benefit especially in favor of another company (and the old place wants me for a specific shift so they won't change either). I know I'm kind of pulling a **** move quitting on them like this so close to x-mas but hell I've only been there like a week I don't think I owe them so much loyalty as to **** myself over for their sake. Can I just call them to tell them I quit since I don't really have anything to turn in, I'd rather not go in person if I don't have to? Or should I just not show up again?? I don't really care about leaving a good impression since I'm pretty sure I'll be on the don't rehire list anyway for quitting only a week in.

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Since you're still in training, maybe you could just say that the job isn't a good fit for you?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    just break up
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Be honest to your immediate supervisor about the situation. He/ she will know the procedure, and if you are lucky, they may offer you a raise, too.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I know it feels like an *kitten* move, but just leave. You have to think about yourself. As long as you don't need them as a reference just tell them that you got offered something better and they need you to start NOW. Yes you can call.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Since you're still in training, maybe you could just say that the job isn't a good fit for you?

Exactly...this is the perfect time frame for this to work
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I know it feels like an *kitten* move, but just leave. You have to think about yourself. As long as you don't need them as a reference just tell them that you got offered something better and they need you to start NOW. Yes you can call.

I find the fastest way to succeed in life is to burn all your bridges
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    just let them know it's not working out, and you got offerred a different job that you feel is more suited for you. I wouldn't say anything about bennies and pay, leave that out of it.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Never burn a bridge. NEVER... just be honest and let them know.
  • jmp1031
    jmp1031 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Don't do the not show up thing, be an adult. I would either say like the other poster said and tell them the job isn't for you since you are still training. Or you can just tell the truth and say your old job wants you back and it's a better fit for you.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    just break up

this
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Yep, be nice about it and tell them it just isn't working out. 2 weeks is the industry standard but it doesn't always have to be followed. In a case like this with you still in training I don't see the need for 2 weeks.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Just be honest, most employers understand if a better opportunity is out there, a person is going to take it. Just tell them you got an offer from another job, and are going to take it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS GIVE NOTICE. You never know when you will cross paths, or your name may come up in the future. If you explain, they may let you go home then. But give them to chance to cover shifts for a week. Besides, any potential employer that won't let you give a week's notice is not going to offer much in the future.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    be honest, they will understand. I'm sure they wouldn't make you work out a 2 week notice since you are still in training - not worth paying someone and training them if you already know they are leaving. Good luck to you!
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Be straight up with them. They will respect your for it, and you can leave on good terms. I don't think any reputable company is going to hold it against you to improve your circumstances. But never burn your bridges.
  • slimy72
    Options
    Be honest and let them know. Don't ever burn a bridge on purpose because you may need it again some day. You never know when someone will know someone who is looking to hire you. So call, chat with your supervisor, let them know. DO NOT just not show. That is very bad form.
  • PSDWilliams
    Options
    Witchblade, I know it feels awkward, but you should just tell them the truth - that the other job is better fit. Offer to work remainder of week if you feel you are truly able to add something (by wrapping up a project for example), and leave. Don't "burn that bridge", but be honest and professional. They don't want to waste time training you if it isn't a good fit anyway! Good luck!
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's simply good etiquette to leave in a professional manner. While I would agree two weeks notice would be a waste of your time AND theirs, it is still more professional to do it face to face. Explaining to them exactly what you just said here is fine, you don't have to tell them it's a previous employer, you can say that you had applied for multiple jobs before accepting this one, and an opportunity you had really been hoping for has become available. And that you don't want to waste their time or money by staying any longer than necessary, that your resignation is immediate.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    The whole "loyalty to the company" thing used to eat at my conscience, but not any more. I've learned that a company is only loyal to its employees as long as it's beneficial to their bottom line. So, effectively, you're doing the same thing - watching out for your bottom line first. I wouldn't sweat it.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    this is why there is a training period...it's not only for you to show them what you can do, but for them to show you what the atmosphere is like...there is NOTHING wrong with changing your mind in this period...

don't just not show up....

tell your direct supervisor that this is not a good fit for you, and that you will be leaving for another opportunity.

do it sooner rather than later, so that they can contact the second banana that didn't get the job because you did....

that way, they aren't in the lurch, you don't have to feel bad and you have shown that you are professional and courteous...

they will appreciate that and you never know when you will need that in the future.