Any Lupus or PCOS buddies out there

Options
I have SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) and PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome), I was just wandering if i anyone else out there on MFP is dieting with either of these conditions. If so hows is it going for you? Any advice? And, of course please feel free to add me, I'd love to stay in contact with other's who are experiencing similar issues.

Replies

• swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, although I think mine is pretty mild. I have heard you really need to do low carb, but I've tried low fat/low calories with success in the past, and I LOVE carbs...so I'm going to try that and then if I find myself really plateuing for a long time I'll look into cutting the carbs.
  • julz5150
    julz5150 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Do you take anything for your PCOS? i'm currently on metformin which really seems to help me out with keeping everything regular and it does help with the weight a teeny bit. I love carbs too!!!! Maybe its a hormone thing lol. I'm trying to eat less carbs but more than anything i'm doing low calories
  • kateparedes
    kateparedes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I've had PCOS for almost 3 years now and have been on the Pill to control my hormones. Gained a bit of weight from the pill when I first started, and I have to admit that weight loss comes with a lot of sacrifices because of the hormonal imbalance that usually wreaks havoc on my appetite.

I'm on a mostly protein diet right now and it's been working for me so far. My ob told me that I need to lose a bit of weight and keep my sugar levels low to avoid diabetes which is associated with PCOS. So I'm going for a healthy diet and regular exercise to be more fit. Hopefully, my next trip to the doctor would show that the PCOS is gone!
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Do you take anything for your PCOS? i'm currently on metformin which really seems to help me out with keeping everything regular and it does help with the weight a teeny bit. I love carbs too!!!! Maybe its a hormone thing lol. I'm trying to eat less carbs but more than anything i'm doing low calories

I'm just on the pill and several acne medications (acne is due to the pcos). My dr. thinks i don't need metformin yet.
  • julz5150
    julz5150 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had to go off of the pill due to my lupus (it puts me in the high risk category for blood clots), so the metformin keeps my periods regular now. Well now that they adjusted it, I started at 500mg and they had to raise the dosage to 750mg to keep me on track, but i think we have it all set now.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. Really stinks for the weight loss. I'd love to get off birth control pills but I'd never have a regular period and my lining is too thick not to shed every 28 days. Plus I've developed painful (ugh) ovarian cysts. The pills are supposedly preventing more from developing. I refused any other medications. I'd rather self medicate with the right food. ~_^

But as far as acne goes, I quit drinking cow's milk and reduced my other dairy intakes by about half and the acne completely stopped except for maybe a blemish or two during my period. THAT was a miracle let me tell you. My doc said something about the high hormones in the milk from pregnant cows was probably affecting that. I just use almond milk on my cereal now and drink water. Not worried about calcium since my green veggie intake is high.

I've noticed a lot less hair in places I don't want it too. I still get it but not nearly as much. I don't know if that's dairy related or if that's more related to my other healthy changes.

Here's some of my fav resources if you're interested:

http://poweroverpcos.com/blog/

http://www.drfuhrman.com/default.aspx

http://www.wordofwisdomliving.com/

http://www.health-actually.com/
  • rydanip
    rydanip Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies

I have PCOS too. I have had a hard time losing weight, let me tell you. I've lost a about 50 lbs but its taken like 2 years. I am really trying to lose another 60-75, and hopefully within this year. I have periods where I exercise ALOT and really watch what I eat but I never notice much of a difference from when I am moderately watching everything. I have read that with PCOS and Insulin resistance you have to really watch your starchy carbs to see steady weight loss. I HATE diet rules where you exclude whole food types. But I'm thinking if I do then maybe things would speed up a bit. Any tips or help I would love :-) Nice thread
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have lupus and fibromyagia. I have been a Re-Newbie for almost 2 weeks and it is going pretty well. I am trying to walk everyday and stay under my calories... So far so good
  • fizzboot
    Options
    Just been diagnosed with discoid lupus and have had PCOS for years! Am on metformin but am just exploring links between metformin and discoid lupus just in case I need to stop that.

Did weightwatchers for a long while and lost weight miraculously and then it began to slow and slow to a stop. Am on a lowish carb diet now - one slice of bread a day, free hand with lower carb veg (no parsnips or potatoes) and lots of protein but no cake, biscuits, pasta, rice etc etc and the weight is chipping off slowly. Am 44 years old, 5ft 2" and am down to 10st 11lbs - so just over a stone to go. Keep my carbs under 100g a day - aim for around 60g and the weight is chipping off VERY VERY slowly but it IS going. As long as I throw this last stone by Easter next year that'll do me.

Makes me mad when I read comments from people about 'you're only fat cause you eat too much and don't exercise enough" - PCOS is a battle in itself!!!! As for the discoid lups am determined to manage with creams cause if they give me steroids I am BOUND to gain weight. My body hates medicine - (have had problems with steroids and with any progesterone pills in the past).

Anyhoo that's me.
  • eilispha
    Options
    Hi I also have Lupus and it sucks. I've been diagnosed about 8 years ago, that was after spending 7 years taking off weight and finally got to a good place and then BAM I'm all fat again. So now I'm trying to lose weight and fight Lupus which in itself put weight on. I feel that no matter what I try or have tried I will never be in a good place again. By the way I'm not saying I want to be super thin, I want to be comfortable thats all.

Good luck to you!
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    I have Lupus (MCTD = Mixed Connective Tissue Disease), and am just starting my weight-loss journey. So far, I have noticed that the hardest part for me is mustering the energy to exercise. I am always tired and achy from the disease, and the exercise seems to exacerbate those things for me.

Thanks so much for starting this thread! Please feel free to add me!
  • westonhive
    westonhive Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with PCOS, Began taking 1000mg of metformin Oct 1st 2012. I am down 11 pounds.
  • starjewel16
    starjewel16 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 or 16. I don't take anything for it, I took birth control pills for a year from 16-17 but all they did was mess my body up in horrible ways that I've never recovered from. I've found a supplement that is specifically geared for PCOS, it's called Pregnitude. It's mainly for women trying to get pregnant, but I think you can use it either way. It's supposed to reduce insulin resistance and help regulate cycles. I only took it for a few days (gave me horrible mood swings) but once life settles down a bit (military family) I will try it once again. We've been trying to concieve our second baby for nearly 11 months now. I'm hoping that me losing weight will help us get pregnant again.
  • LisaRobyn73
    LisaRobyn73 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus and PCOS too. I was diagnosed with Lupus back when I was 16( but symptoms started at 12), so I pretty much don't remember not having it. I also have PCOS and am on BC pills which help keep my hormones in check. Luckily at the moment I am not on any meds for my Lupus and am doing ok. Feel free to add me if you'ld like :)
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    PCOS here and on metformin. I'm only on metformin again after a 4 year gap... but before I lost 100 pounds with its help so I'm looking to repeat that. Friend me if you like.
  • starjewel16
    Options
    I find it interesting that so many people have the combo of Lupus and PCOS, I wonder if there is a link? I've had a lot of the symptoms of Lupus for years but none of the doctors I've been to can ever figure out what's going on.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I had PCOS in my teens and 20s and had trouble getting pregnant with my first child. Clomid helped me get pregnant, and after delivery I learned to eat healthier with fewer carbs. Between diet changes and having one child, I had 2 more successful pregnancies.
    Lower carb/Low Glycemic Index diet helps me a lot.

I also have mild RA, and an autoimmune type spinal cord disease and I found that strictly limiting my processed sugar helps me tremendously with inflammation, reduced pain, reduced fatigue.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    A tip for you ladies with PCOS, if you lose weight and lower your carbs, you can greatly increase your fertility, so use birth control if you don't want any surprises!
    It happens a lot.
  • starjewel16
    Options
    haha I hope it works that way for me! Been TTC our second baby for 11 months now.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have lupus and also an underactive thyroid. I've been logging my food since July and I've lost 40lbs so far. I thought I'd go into this losing 10lbs a month because I have a lot to lose, but it's not that simple. Just be patient and it will come off if you log your food and stay under your calorie goal.