Running and Caffeine

I know from personal experience that I run better with caffeine in my system. I usually include caffeine in my pre-run meal, usually a couple of hours before I hit the road. And I notice the difference when I don't.

My question has to do with caffeine WHILE running. Some of my runs get pretty long, in the two-to-three hour range, and I'm wondering if an extra jolt might help those last few miles. Has anyone experimented with that and how did it go?

I tried carrying some flat Coke with me, but it didn't work. No matter how long I left it out, it still had enough carbonation to make a mess when I ran. But now that SodaStream is out, it's really easy to get cola syrup. I was thinking about adding the syrup to cold water and carrying 10 oz. along with my regular PowerAde or Gatorade.

Any opinions?

Replies

• wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    I find that caffeine helps when I am refueling. I don't drink the caffeine on the run though...I eat it. Lots of endurance fuel products have versions that have caffeine... Gu Roctane gel ans Sport Beans Extreme are two that I have tried.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    When it comes to running long distance and fueling, we are each a "study with a sample size of one."

Flat Coke is a favorite of the ultra runners. Try some different things on your runs and see what makes you happy. I find that gels, gu, beans & blocks are very texture & flavor specific to each of us.

I'd also seem runners use No Doz of those chocolate covered espresso beans for a boost.

Bottom line, see what works for you so you can kick some *kitten* on race day.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    i know you can also get caffeine tablets- they're called 'Pro-Plus' in the UK (or at least they were a few years ago!). i always pick the gu chomps with caffeine added. time for an experiment!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    There is some gu flavor with caffeine in it if you use that. OOPS duh two people already said that. Send me to the rear of the class.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    I also drink a cup of coffee before all my runs, that generally is my pre-run "meal" unless I'm running over 12 then I'll add some food too. There are plenty of GU flavors with caffeine and 2xs caffeine, I prefer those for runs over 10 miles, otherwise coffee is all I need.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I don't use caffeine in my life at any time except running. My boss bought "AreoShots" which are like Caffeine inhalers. They are a godsend at mile 20 :) I also love chocolate covered espresso beans on a run.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I like the gu/gels that have caffeine in them.

I like the suggestion of chocolate covered coffee beans too. They're awesome, I've never thought to try it. Any tips for keeping them from melting?
  • "Sheets" are these caffeine sheets you put on your tongue. They're sort of like the dissolvable Listerine things.

You can get them at any pharmacy.