Potentially stupid lifting question...

Options
After reading all these threads suggesting that women should lift heavy I have become so interested in starting that I have enlisted my brother, who used to lift heavy weights, to teach me/guide me and lift with me. Hopefully this will motivate him to return to his former in shape self as well.

Now, I see that there are books such as "NROLFW" and sites dedicated specifically for women with lifting routines. I am curious (this may or may not be the stupid part of the post) if there is really any difference in how men should lift and how women should lift?

So, I suppose I am asking if my brother teaches me his old lifting routines, should there be any modifications made for me (female)?

Thanks

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    NROLFW's full title is "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess," so that's pretty big clue that we can do the same lifts as men. :smile:

I'm doing Stronglifts. The only modification I had to make was, after the first few weeks, I had increased me weights at a lower rate than suggested. (I went up 2-3 pounds at a time instead of 5 pounds at a time, but I know women who went up 5 pounds, too.)

The biggest difference seems to be that a good part of the books for women are reassuring them they won't look like men.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference seems to be that a good part of the books for women are reassuring them they won't look like men.

This is what I wondered.

Thanks for your response :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    NROLFW's full title is "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess," so that's pretty big clue that we can do the same lifts as men. :smile:

I'm doing Stronglifts. The only modification I had to make was, after the first few weeks, I had increased me weights at a lower rate than suggested. (I went up 2-3 pounds at a time instead of 5 pounds at a time, but I know women who went up 5 pounds, too.)

I second this.

I'm doing NROL4W, and a big chunk of the book is just trying to convince women that they won't get bulky. I didn't need any convincing though. I was on the girls weightlifting team in High School. We did the same exact thing the men did. :smile:
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I second this.

I'm doing NROL4W, and a big chunk of the book is just trying to convince women that they won't get bulky. I didn't need any convincing though. I was on the girls weightlifting team in High School. We did the same exact thing the men did. :smile:

Awesome, thanks! :)
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 2 of Stronglifts - I have gone up the 5lbs at a time, but may have to slow down soon. I am loving it and looking forward to re-shaping my body! I have no fears at all that lifting heavy will make me "bulky". I am loving how strong I'm feeling!
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Its the same rules.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No difference. The actual weights used are likely to be different, but training can be exactly the same.

Certain programs are marketed towards women just to bridge the gap, and ease the minds of women who fear bulkiness. Training philosophy is the same, though.