Nice little belly fat article

Options
banks1850
banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
this is kind of targeted at men, but it should work for you ladies too. I like that it is a nice, remedial primer on belly fat that pretty much anyone can understand.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/belly-fat/MC00054

I know it's been discussed on here many times already, but I like reinforcement by repitition.

I especially like how he emphasizes that you can't "spot" remove fat with any targeted exercise.

Sorry girls, it'll come off where it wants to come off. No matter how hard you train a particular muscle group, it's not going to make the fat receed any faster from an area because of muscle training. Only fat burning and healthy eating will remove fat (granted that weight training DOES increase fat burning, but not in any particular part of the body).

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    this is kind of targeted at men, but it should work for you ladies too. I like that it is a nice, remedial primer on belly fat that pretty much anyone can understand.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/belly-fat/MC00054

I know it's been discussed on here many times already, but I like reinforcement by repitition.

I especially like how he emphasizes that you can't "spot" remove fat with any targeted exercise.

Sorry girls, it'll come off where it wants to come off. No matter how hard you train a particular muscle group, it's not going to make the fat receed any faster from an area because of muscle training. Only fat burning and healthy eating will remove fat (granted that weight training DOES increase fat burning, but not in any particular part of the body).
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    thanks Banks :flowerforyou:
    i am swimming hard for 45 mins x 3 a week and i can now see results and its been pretty quick too ... i seem to have hit a plateux tho as i havent lost weight for a week now but when i applied a tape measure i lost 2 inches of my waist so i am not too dissalusioned
    but this article has made me think i need to step up my exercise on my non swimming days to more cardio so i shall get myself on my bike in a few minutes and the gazelle glider ..
    also i use a weight machine with low weight but high reps on my non swimming day .. is that the right way to go with this?
  • paul82682
    paul82682 Posts: 48
    Options
    yes, lower weight and higher reps should increase stamina and muscle definition. that combined with your cardio, you should be at your target weight in no time. ok maybe it will take some time but my point is, it's a good way to get there.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Your body is the baggage you must carry through life. The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    :wink:
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    No but working the area helps it look better :P