Late Night Exercise?

Options
So...I am thinking I am going to start taking late night walk/jogs (like 11pm) because it is just too hard to do it during the day when the kids are awake. I am not much of a morning person so I don't want to wake up before them to do it. Does anyone know if the time of day will make a difference?

Replies

• Some people find that intense exercise too close to bed time can cause insomnia. But if that doesn't happen, then IMHO, go for it. I frequently walk within an hour of bed time and it doesn't cause problems for me.

Georgia
  • kimski08
    kimski08 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've found it easier to fit in exercise after say 9/10pm and personally I'm sparko as soon as my head hits the pillow and generally sleep through the night. Whereas if I don't do anything I'm tossing and turning all night - probably because I'm regretting not doing any exercise!

Only problem I had tonight on my run was it was starting to get a bit icy so I'm not sure if that is going to be a problem.
  • WifeyCarion
    Options
    I work out late, too, but not that late. I usually get to the gym no later than 8:30p.m. I work long hours, so it's difficult for me to go any sooner. I REFUSE to go at 5a.m. anymore lol. I was told that late night workouts were good in that it gets your metabolism working faster before bed :) I'm not sure if that's correct, but hey. We do what we can!
  • Hadunka
    Hadunka Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have just finished first day of 30 day shred...at 11 p.m.
  • photogal375
    photogal375 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I enjoy going to the gym in the evening. It hasn't effected my sleep pattern at all. When my head hits the pillow.... I'm out! :)
  • jhanso86
    Options
    Thanks for the input...I was actually thinking it might raise my metabolism before bed, had never read anything about it but it just makes logical sense. Definitely going to get some exercise in later :)
  • kimski08
    kimski08 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    never heard anyone discouraging other late bed time activities before so can't be that bad for you lol ;-)
  • jhanso86
    Options
    never heard anyone discouraging other late bed time activities before so can't be that bad for you lol ;-)

LOL...true...
  • GeekMomma42
    Options
    With kids and work, after 9pm is my time to workout most nights, and I love it.
  • Sweeetdesiderata
    Options
    I would give it a try and see if it works for you. If you have issues with insomnia, it might not be a good idea. However if you are a total night owl like me, then do it up! I prefer to do my walking late as well (when I could walk). Mostly because I prefer the quiet and solitude that the night has to offer. :) Once I am able to walk again I will be out there walking under the moon!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I say that you should do it whenever it is convenient for you! Better late than never! I used to work out at night. Now I am giving mornings a try.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My favorite time to go to the gym is about 2 a.m. Usually no one in there but me. I'm all about a night time workout.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I thought exercise gets your blood flowing....so you might not be able to sleep. But i'm with you. I have a kid and I need to take care of her first....its hard to get a work out in while she is awake. I sometimes go after she is asleep around 8 and walk for an hour or so.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The best time of day to exercise is the time you'll actually do it :) For me it's 5:30 am for you it could be 11pm, do what works for you.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    The only reason to avoid it would be if you live in a sketchy area. If you live somewhere safe, go ahead!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    For me, when I workout late...if I take a hot shower before bed it tends to help me sleep better, too.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Running at night is perfect IMO, great nights sleep after for me.
  • tara7779
    Options
    I always work out at 9 or later after the kids are in bed. No problems at all!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at midnight when i get out of work, its the only time i have to go
  • Xandriarose
    Xandriarose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I workout later in the evening and I still sleep like a baby. Usually I'm done with my workouts by 9 or 10pm though.