I need encouragement

Options
I am a single 52 year old teacher. I am also a mother if 4 grown boys, so for the first time in 27 years I am alone every evening. I come home from work exhausted and all I want to do is sit in front of the tv and snack. I now find myself weighing 193.5 pounds. I don't want to go into the next 20-30 years of my life over weight. This is my time to do this for me. I don't want the excuse of being over 50 and post menstrual. I want to feel good about myself again.

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Good luck.
  • rachaelhoffman
    rachaelhoffman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Exercise when and where you can, perhaps before you get home! (I know it's hard for me to motivate myself to do something new after dark in the winter!). a 10 minute walk during a free class period? get up 15 minutes earlier to do some stretching or yoga. or exercise after school, before you get home (helps to have a bag packed in the car ready to go!). Good luck. Small steps, build good habits, and don't try to change everything all at once.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kimberlee, 49. I was a registered nurse before I became disabled. I want to reach my goal before I turn 50 next yr. We can do this. Feel free to add me. I am married, but have no children...only a cat.
  • FloridaPops
    Options
    We're all in the same boat, trying to take better care of ourselves, add me if you wish.
  • fallingbrick
    Options
    I'm a 42 yo computer consultant. Only my youngest lives with me and he's a 16 yo growing boy. We both do taekwondo for exercise, but he always chows down big time before AND after class. I'm narrowing down to 300 # and am eating far less than him because I'm tired of looking like Kung Fu Panda in my uniform.

Each day I struggle with not eating empty calories. They're in the house. It's not fair to make my boy avoid his snacks when _I_ am the one who has the problem.

Each day I come here and read the boards. I look at the sliders which show how far people have gone and I get inspired by those who are much closer to their goal than me (I started on 10/18). That's what gets me by.

Don't let what you want now get it in the way of what you want most! You can do it!
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    You can do it! I am 53, so I know your pain. it's just commitment. deciding that you are not going to let those hormone's be in charge of your life. I have been at it since July and have lost 16lbs. I exercise a lot! I started doing it because I don't want to be that 50 year old that doesn't take care of herself. So it is my main focus right now. I am peri-meopause and it is hard, but I also will not allow it to be an excuse for me. Again, you can do it! Set a goal and a workout routine you feel you can handle. If you would like to friend me, feel free.
  • rsmelley
    Options
    I am looking for friends on MFP hoping it will encourage me to stay on my diet. I am 45 married with 2 grown children and 1 grandchild. I went on a diet in october and weighed 212 a week ago and wishing to get down to 130. I've been going through peri menopause for about the past 3 and A half years. The last time I weighed 192 was 6 years ago. LOL
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just retired last year after 22 years of teaching 4th grade, and I totally relate to the night eating especially when our sons moved out of the house! Funny things is, even when I stopped teaching, I didn't stop my nasty nighttime eating habit until just this past week! I am determined to get control of my health before it's too late! I would love to share the journey with you. I will add you as a friend.
    When I was teaching, the only time I could be sure to get exercise in, was to get up earlier at least a few days a week, and do an exercise video; I also found morning exercise really lifted my mood and I felt energized to start the day. In the evenings, I would be completed drained and workouts just wouldn't happen. Also sometimes a group of us would walk right after school when we didn't have meetings, and that was fun.
    Anyways, I hope you will accept me as friend in the journey.
    Best wishes!
  • kleis3
    Options
    You've already gotten through the first step! Admitting that you need to make a change!!! You can do it!!!! Anything that you do can help!! Do a lap or 2 around the school before you each your lunch to get your metabolism going so that it burns the calories faster. After school head straight to a gym or even change your clothes before you leave so that when you get home you are already ready to go outside and do a walk around where you live. Do a couple sets of squats and lunges while you watch TV, you'll forget you're working out! Stay positive, you can do this!!!! :-) Good luck!!!!
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I took a desk job at 40 I started gaining weight. I lost about 30 pounds about 11 years ago, but gained it all back and bit more. When I got up to 220, it seemed like I was never going to lose weight, no matter what I tried. Last Christmas when I decided to try a Wii fit plus, I finally started losing - it was low impact and fun enough that I could do 30 minutes every day. Then a nurse that calls for my insurance wellness program told me about myfitnesspal. Getting on here is definitely a step in the right direction. I'm just about to finish Jillian Michael's 30 day shred program. I would never have got this far with it if I didn't have so many others telling about their experiences with this program. Good luck and keep logging on!
  • shannoniacovino
    shannoniacovino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was single into my mid-thirties and was often lonely after I got home in the evenings. I say if you have a local gym and you can afford it it is as great place to stop. Sometimes when I just didn't feel like it I would tell myself just go and put your shoes on if you don't feel like it then you can go home. Sometimes I did go home but most of the time I would get in a good workout and feel better. Now that I have kids I don't feel that I can go to the gym for an hour in the evening so I have a treadmill at home. I really miss working out with other people but I wouldn't give up what I have now either. Take advantage of not having to be a caretaker for the time being.
  • Lormic98
    Options
    Baby steps. Make one small change such as taking a 10 minute walk. Then just try to make yourself do some squats during a commercial. Get a dance video - you're alone - who cares if you make a fool of yourself! Or just dance to music for five minutes. Do things with your hands; read, knit, whatever, so that you don't want to snack in front of the TV. I'm 55, and I made up my mind to do something about it now, and I tell myself that the weight is not going to come off on its own - you have to DO something about it and NOT eat as much as you want. Tracking every morsel of food that enters your mouth helps. Best of luck to you!
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When you make up your mind to do it..you will. Why not come home..eat dinner while watching a program then get out for a walk? Eventually that walk will become longer...and you will see t he results. You can do this!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    So, instead of tv and food.....exercise and tv? You can jog in place, do jumping jacks, jump rope (without a rope), mountain climbers....you can do it during every commercial (and goodness knows they're longer then the actual program), do crunches during the show, leg raises, push ups; no need for equipment but if you have any....walking on the treadmill or riding a stationary bike while watching tv is a good way to enjoy "chilling" while working out. :smile:

During lunch at work, go for a walk; go for a walk before work if possible or dance for 10 minutes to some good tunes....dance for 10 minutes when you get home from work while you're whipping up a healthy salad for dinner.

You can find ways to "sneak" in exercise no matter how many hours you work and how many hours you commute...I know I was doing it for many years while commuting daily 3-4 hours (depending on traffic) and working 50-60 or more hours per week. I also started planning my meals each weekend and packing my healthy breakfast, lunch, 2 snacks and sometimes dinner; if I knew I might work late and not get home until 8pm or so...

You can do it....you just have to WANT to do it bad enough...so tell me....

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT????
  • 19Julie60
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement! Tonight is my first night on this sight so I am still trying to find my way around the site. Please add me as friend cause I have no idea how!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request. We have a lot in common!
  • RiaGiselle
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT... FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME FOR SUPPORT AND HELP
  • 19Julie60
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement! Tonight is my first night on this sight so I am still trying to find my way around the site. Please add me as friend cause I have no idea how!
  • LiveEatLift
    Options
    Hey Julie! SOunds like your heart and your mind is in the right place! <3 would love to help you out to reach your goals! I sent you a friend request <3