Starting over post baby!

Options
Our family was blessed with a beautiful healthy baby boy and we are so excited! He is 7 weeks old today! I guess it goes without saying that 50lbs I dropped before baby was put back on... 3 weeks after baby I was back down to 29lbs away from prebaby weight... and I've decided today that I will restart my journey and finish it! This time not only for me, but for my son. My goal is by the time he takes his first steps I'll be back down to my prebaby weight and hopefully even lower than that! I start back to work monday (ugh!) so I've started tracking my food and think with the stress and lack of sleep/time with having a newborn I'm going to start back slowly. How soon did you all start working out again after baby? I feel like I have no time now! Plus getting up at night is not helping the energy level...

Replies

• sstephanrodriguez
    sstephanrodriguez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I love that you made your goal to hit your pre-baby weight by the time your son takes his first steps---two things to celebrate! I have kind of an interesting story. Before I got pregnant, I was about 130 lbs. I wasn't happy at that weight because I'm really short and I wasn't comfortable, but nevertheless, it's what I was. During my pregnancy, I was miserably ill EVERY.DAY.FOR.NINE.MONTHS. Literally hated food, was hospitalized for dehydration. I only gained 14 lbs. Here's the kicker... Three days after my son was born, I was down to 127 and feeling great. The problem? I wanted to eat everything in sight. So for the first year of his life, I ate everything I wanted to compensate for not eating during pregnancy. And I ended up heavier than I was pregnant! I would say 7 weeks is pretty early to start a vigorous work out regimen, and it's hard until your baby starts sleeping through the night and you have a set routine. But when my son was about 8 months old, I got a gym membership. I felt guilty leaving him every day for 30-60 minutes to work out since I was back working again. But 5 months ago, I started myfitnesspal and I've made myself work out, and I've been a better mom because of it. I think that you should ease into it, get used to working and mommying, and then make time for yourself and your fitness. Good luck with those 29 lbs! I'm sure you'll do it before he takes those steps!
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, you can! I gained 50 lbs with first baby, only 20 came off when he was born. It took 8 months to get 30 more off. I got 10 more off then found out I was pregnant again (2 months ago)! Hoping not to gain so much this time--working on better eating/exercising habits I can maintain after pregnancy. Good luck to you!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 years to get the baby weight from my 2nd baby. Diet is 90% but don't cut too much right away or you will be tired. Maybe start with a 30 day shred type video while baby naps.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I started just taking walks each day and now im doing jillian michaels dvd. Ive lost 50 pounds since she was born 6 months afo.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I started, off and on, right about where you are now. I wasn't very consistent until the littlest was about 6 months old though -- so many sleepless nights that I couldn't get myself committed fully. But even all the little fits and starts were better than nothing, and once he started sleeping halfway decently, I got back in fully.