Gym-Goers Beware! Watch those "shout-outs"!

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
Just read this on a news site and thought it funny--not that the guy got hurt but come on--can you imagine this guy sitting next to you in the gym??? :noway:

He just can't help the grunting.

Nor can he help shouting "Woo-woo!" or "Great song!" or "Good burn," or — inexplicably, "You go, girl!"

That's what a spin-class workout is all about, hedge-fund manager Stuart Sugarman testified yesterday, taking the stand as the victim in the bizarre case of a New York City gym assault, the New York Post reported.

"These are words that would get me charged up and really come out automatically," Sugarman, 48, told a jury, describing the prologue to a brutal spin-class smackdown that jangled his vertebrae and landed him in the hospital for 10 days.

Manhattan prosecutors say that because of his annoying hooting and bellowing, Sugarman was brutally tipped up and off his exercise bike last summer by an irate stockbroker.

His antagonist, Christopher Carter, had been sitting two bikes down at an Equinox gym at 85th Street and Third Avenue and was ticked off by the distractions.

Carter is fighting a possible year in jail on the misdemeanor charges by arguing that Sugarman provoked the incident.

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Just read this on a news site and thought it funny--not that the guy got hurt but come on--can you imagine this guy sitting next to you in the gym??? :noway:

He just can't help the grunting.

Nor can he help shouting "Woo-woo!" or "Great song!" or "Good burn," or — inexplicably, "You go, girl!"

That's what a spin-class workout is all about, hedge-fund manager Stuart Sugarman testified yesterday, taking the stand as the victim in the bizarre case of a New York City gym assault, the New York Post reported.

"These are words that would get me charged up and really come out automatically," Sugarman, 48, told a jury, describing the prologue to a brutal spin-class smackdown that jangled his vertebrae and landed him in the hospital for 10 days.

Manhattan prosecutors say that because of his annoying hooting and bellowing, Sugarman was brutally tipped up and off his exercise bike last summer by an irate stockbroker.

His antagonist, Christopher Carter, had been sitting two bikes down at an Equinox gym at 85th Street and Third Avenue and was ticked off by the distractions.

Carter is fighting a possible year in jail on the misdemeanor charges by arguing that Sugarman provoked the incident.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    All the more reason not to goto the gym! :laugh:
  • mary1127
    mary1127 Posts: 37
    Options
    Jeez, I think he should be charged with assalt. He may have provoked it but man........it seems like the world is going crazy no one seems to be able to control themselves.
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    I have to admit this would drive me crazy lol. When Im doing my work out all I wanna hear is my mp3. I hate it when someone tries to talk to me, even my son. I lock em all out of the room :laugh: :laugh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    couldn't he have just told him to shut up? geez, thats kind of overkill!
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    That guy could have been my dad.

I always get a little embarrassed when I go to the gym with my dad. He is a very fit, 50 year old Guido, who has a love for “the burn”. He sweats garlic and lifts tons of weight with war cries like it is a paid position. Love the man to death, but the grunts do get to be a bit much. I could see how this would be aggravating. An assault though…control yourself.

Aren’t people who exercise supposed to be happier from the endorphins?
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    This is my personal opinion, take it for what it's worth, but if women can't stand the men "grunting" and all that, we need to stick to Curves. (i think it was another man who did the assaulting?? tho?)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, what a jerk! At the step classes I attend, the instructor does a lot of 'woohooing' to get people pumped up and energetic, and other people often join her. I've never seen anyone get pushed off a step! :noway: That guy deserves a year in jail to learn some humility and self control.