Soy milk vs Regular milk

Options
What's the difference?
Why do people drink soy milk instead of regular milk?

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    as far as i know soy milk is better then whole milk because of the lower calories and fat that it has but but if you were to compare 2% or skim milk to soy milk there almost the same so its really about preferance
  • corimat17
    corimat17 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened Almond Milk. I think it tastes better than regular milk.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    It's for people that don't want to consume dairy for one reason or another. Personally I drink milk and use dairy product and generally the full fat type, organic and raw when I can get it, and I drink goat milk, not cow's.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk is better.

Soy milk is good for women but not too good for men.

It's contain a very high level of estrogen. So,.... Well do I need to say more?
    Lower the fertility, More fat in the chest area etc..etc..

You can find many articles on the web regarding that...
    It's NOT dangerous.... it's just not the best for guys that's all.
    I take sometime... It's not bad...Just don't over do it .

For girls....No problem at all :)
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    drink soy because I'm lactose intolerant, and unlike rice or almond milk, soy milk has the same amount of calcium and vitamin D as regular milk without the calories and fat. But just for nutritional advice, 1%or skim milk has the same amount of calcium as whole milk without as many calories or fat.
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I only drink soy milk at home, but my choice is due to lactose intolerance. I still eat some dairy products, but try to do it in less excess. Since I love cheese, I vary it up with some soy cheese too. Actually pretty darn good!
    But I noticed when I go to Starbucks or a place like that for a latte, it's actually healthier to get non-fat milk as opposed to soy. Even skim seems to be a better option. If it's for the sake of coffee, I know it's a small enough portion to enjoy.
    I originally did it cause I thought it was healthier. And then realized it just makes my stomach feel better. Either way, I don't consume enough of either for it to make a huge difference.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer Hemp Milk myself ;)
    Most of the non-dairy milks have little to no nutritional value except what is added in after processing.

I personally tried non-dairy to see if it helped with stomach issues. I'd rather drink neither now =)
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    If you drink regular milk you'll die, true story.
    Orrrrr, it could be that some people are lactose intolerant and regular milk reeks havoc on their tum tums.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well one is made from soybeans and they call it "milk" because it's a white liquid that is edible, and the other is animal (generally cow) milk.

One reason to drink soy milk would be lactose or dairy intollerance.
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    because they're vegans or they believe that people are not meant to drink the milk that comes from a cows tit and is meant for baby cows.... I myself prefer cows milk. It tastes better and too much soy is bad for you. but I might be biased - I LOVE milk. Organic whole milk is the bomb!
  • kirk1115
    kirk1115 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Regular milk is really good but hurts my stomach, though other dairy products don't, like yogurt and cheese. I have gotten use to the taste of almond milk, I don't like the taste of soy.
  • stbrad6896
    Options

Actually I don't think it's good for girls either.... it leads to early puberty and decreased fertility in women as well. And soy is in almost EVERYTHING! It's a cheap filler and a big corporate business so that's why they push it as "healthy". It's not, and should be enjoyed in moderation as with everything else.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Actually, the gyno effect on men is pretty much not true

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20378106

Certain women (with estrogen receptive cancer risks) probably do need to be careful about dosage.

In general, there is not clear cut answer as to whether soy is bad for you or not as it also has certain benefits

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use either but I like soy milk better for the taste :) The type I drink also contains more calcium than regular milk
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I use soy milk because cow's milk makes me a little sick. I like to drink almond milk, and think it tastes very similar to cow's milk, but it doesn't have as much protein. I use almond milk for baked goods (low-cal), and soy milk for protein.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk is good because it avoids the unethical treatment of soybeans.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I drank alternative milk (soy, almond, coconut) while I was trying to figure out if I have sensitivities to dairy products. Turns out I don't so I'm just using up my stash of coconut milk right now. Its a personal preference if you have no lactose intolerance issues.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I eat other dairy products but straight up cow's milk is just gross to me--blah!
  • DatNative21
    DatNative21 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk Boom
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk is good because it avoids the unethical treatment of soybeans.
    Yes, there is that fact for sure.....the almond hasn't seen much better treatment, especially in North America...I'm ashamed at the overall abuse.