Kettle Bells

Options
I am wanting to get kettle bells for Christmas and start a routine. Wanted to get tips from those who use them. Do you reccommend the standard kettle bell or is it better to get contoured ones?
All I use for weights now are 5 lb dumbbells so Im thinking of starting with a 15lb kettlebell. Do you have any preferred DVD's or workouts online or youtube you recommend for beginners?
Thanks for any and all advice!

Replies

• florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Also interested!
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Starting with a 8-15 lb is decent, depending on your strength and if you're used to working out and such.
    My best advice, If you can, take a class to learn proper form rather than learning from a video.
  • eskimite
    Options
    I'm interested in this one as well! I am waiting for the Skogg Kettlebell DVD system and an 18-pound kettlebell that I ordered a little while ago. I've read really great things about kettlebell workouts online, generally speaking, and would like to hear others' experiences on here! Mainly, if you do kettlebell workouts, what does your weekly workout schedule look like? Do you also add in other cardio/strength toning? Just cardio?
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    Bump
  • taniaandmichael
    taniaandmichael Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been doing kettle bell for 2 months now. I use the contoured and love them. They work better for windmills and snatches. I started at five pounds for a couple of weeks until I learned the proper technique. Now, I'm using a 10 pound, and I've asked for 12 and 15 pound ones for Christmas. I take two to three classes a week and I walk/jog two to three times a week. Of course, I swim during the summer. I love kettle bell class. Good luck!
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've only used the standard kettlebell and it's worked well for me. I haven't tried the contoured kettlebell.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    for a routine, do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpbM9nzDcM

you can find a set of ranged kettle bells, 5-10-15-20 lbs, for pretty cheap
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I've been using standard kettlebells for a couple of years and they're awesome at getting your heart rate up with ballistic movements. To me, a circuit with kettlebells is the best in terms of getting the most out of a short amount of time. There are plenty of routines out there; just make sure you have proper form to save your back some strain.
  • Leesespieces412
    Leesespieces412 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i like fitness blender's beginner kettlebell workout on youtube. i took the exercises from it and i do each one for a minute, three times, so it's 8 exercises x 3 rounds, so about a 24 minute workout. sometimes i'll end it with a minute of jumping jacks, sit ups, etc just to add a little more. i started with a 15lb kettlebell and then got a 20, and i bought a 30lb one but haven't attempted it yet lol.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the contoured ones do fit better on your forearms but they are hard to find for some sizes. at home i have 10 and 15 pound contoured ones, but when i use the ones at the gym or crossfit, i just wear a wrist band for it to sit against.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started with the 10-15-20 set from Walmart and progressed quickly through them , within about 2 months. Love the Sarah Lurie (Iron Core Kettlebells) set as a start- has a training module and three great workouts, The price is incredible- 4 dvd's for only about $12. Great form and the workouts can be really challenging with the right weights. Skogg also has great instructional and workouts but is $80 retail, he focuses on variations of 6 moves. You might want to try Lurie first before investing in Skogg. Kettlebell Bombshell (Lisa Balash) also has great instructional and challenging workouts for about $15 (there are regular and advanced set,instructional plus I think 3 workouts each on one dvd). Lauren brooks is well regarded but her dvd's are $30-40 each I believe. Avoid the Jillian Michaels one. All her other dvd's are great but that one is not. I am not associated with any of these people or programs other than trying their dvd's.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eskimite
    Options
    Did my first Skogg kettlebell workout today with one of his 8kg/18lb kettlebells. Really nice. Still feel buzzed! in terms of a weekly schedule, I think i'll do the workouts on strength days, either by themselves or as an add-on to another strength-focused workout. Non-kettlebell days will be cardio workouts and/or yoga. Excited!!
  • Kareemajr
    Kareemajr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just brought a set online. How often do u work out with them?