any low calorie fast food ideas?

Options
dfarrow
dfarrow Posts: 2
I work away from home and rarely have planned for my meals at work. I am having a hard time finding something to eat for lunch. I would like to stay around 400 cals. for lunch. I can run to the supermarket or we have McDonalds, Taco Mayo, Sonic, and Braums here, but none of them really seam to have anything under 400 cals. that will fill me up. Any suggestions?

453525.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• kilburni
    kilburni Posts: 22
    Options
    McDonald's Southwest Salad with GRILLED Chicken is only 320 calories!

Also, if the supermarket has a decent selection of smart ones, lean cuisines, etc they're not too bad for quick/cheap lunches! (I usually eat a few a week)
  • ClarkWGriswold
    Options
    at McDonalds I like the gettign 2 grilled snack wraps and a diet coke. It is around 550 calories so a little more than you are looking for but not a bad choice protien and calorie wise.
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about them but Taco Bell has those Fresco tacos. Haven't had them but they are "suppose" to be healthier however how much is unknown to me. Though in my opinion anything you can get at fast food restaurant is more than likely out of the question and unhealthy unless you stick with a salad. I'm trying my best to stay away from them but much easier said than done. ;)
  • kilburni
    kilburni Posts: 22
    Options
    OH and McDonald's has a Classic Grilled Chicken sandwich that's only 370 if you order it without mayo!

As a suggestion, type in McDonald's in the food database and start clicking "Nutritional Info" on potential meals and check the calorie count...remember also that a lot of their sandwiches include mayo so you may be able to do better than it seems!
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    Subway isn't bad... depends on what you get/put on. You could also get salads at those places. I would keep the dressing at work and bring the food back. The supermarket should have stuff you could have as well.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    McDonald's Southwest Salad with GRILLED Chicken is only 320 calories!

Also, if the supermarket has a decent selection of smart ones, lean cuisines, etc they're not too bad for quick/cheap lunches! (I usually eat a few a week)
    Ditto the McD's southwest grilled chicken salad. Add the dressing and it's still only 440. Tons of sodium though if you're watching that.
  • dfarrow
    dfarrow Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks alot everyone for all the ideas!

453525.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    wendys- chili
  • richmondhillgal
    Options
    is there any way you can premake some foods to take to work in a cooler maybe? All those fast food places are high in calories, fat and sodium. Enemies to us!! I either bring some veggies or a lean cusine. I know the sodium is ridiculous and alot of days I will buy a bag of salad but it's rare that I eat fast food because of all I mentioned.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to make is a priority to plan ahead. Not planning ahead for me has been such a big problem. Although, I still have a long way to go, I have begun to take steps. For instances, on Sundays, I make a batch of HEALTHY muffins for snacks. For lunch, I have made 4 turkey burgers for one week, and for this week I cooked up a two packs of organic boneless skinless chicken--I can use that for a salad, chicken cheese quesadilla, chicken salad sandwich, whatever. I always have on hand whole wheat tortillas, salad mix, etc. This really does not take too much time, not to mention the money you will save by not buying lunch out or the gas it takes you to get there.

Hope this helps.
  • jessw86
    jessw86 Posts: 29
    Options
    I always like to eat salads, they fill me up and they aren't a lot of calories. When I'm on the go I also have to make a quick stop at a gas station or super market and like to get the special k protein meal bars with some fresh fruit, like a bananna or apple. The protein bars keep me satisfied for a long time. Good luck!
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    you can go online at sonic and ur able to bring up the whole menu and it shows all the nutrition info. they have a grilled chicken sand on a wheat bun thats good....just get it with no mayo. its 400 cals and thats with mayo, so its even less without it!! but i would also try to pack a lunch, might take some getting used to but it'll probly be better in the long run!
  • MysterriGal
    MysterriGal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I work at McDonalds, which is a huge challenge, but I have discovered a grilled wrap, take off the sauce and cheese and add honey mustard. You might have to put the honey mustard on yourself (Its actually a dipping sauce) But its so good. and 215 calories (Though still 7g of fat) Also apple slices, and the salads can be good, if your careful with your dressing. Some of those dressings bring a salad up to nearly to the equivilant of a Big Mac! Also a grilled chicken on a sesame bun with 1/2 mayo 295 calories. Thats pretty much what I will allow myself to eat there. Go to your favourite restaurants web site, usually good nutrition info.
  • aggie04chic
    Options
    I agree with Imedvic, start making planning ahead a priority. I know it's hard working away from home and doing that (I work offshore every other month and usually for the week before that I get thrown into an office in some place where I don't speak the language and/or can't identify some of my food options, so trust me I KNOW!) but you will feel better for it in the long run. You will most likely also find that your pocket book will feel better for it in the long run. When I'm home and in the office my other half and I have started making it a point to plan ahead on Sunday and take our lunch. We've found our weight improved, our health inproved overall, and we cut our weekly spending by half! When it comes to offshore I generally take BOATLOADS (no pun intended) of quaker oatmeal low sugar packets with me, as well as protein water mix, and snack bars (yes I rock through customs in many random countries carrying this stuff and have yet to be arrested), it will help to keep you on track, and I'm a bit weird so I love the oatmeal anyway. See if you can find easy to pack things to take with you (though dried foods are not always the most fun, dried soups in packets, oatmeals, the Healthy Choice pasta do dads, or the Marie Calendars, even some of the campbells bowls of soups, or soup at hands and crackers, all easy to pack as they don't need to be kept cool, and usually all you need to make them is a microwave and some water).
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I like mcdonald's fruit and yogurt parfaits. They are delicious and about 160 calories. I know this isn't enough food for lunch but they are a great breakfast. Does the grocery store have a salad bar? My fast food favs are Quiznos / panara / other sandwich places. I check websites for the best nutritional choice before going.

I'm interested in low calorie fast foods too... bump for more suggestions!