New Vegan

Options
Please don't respond if you want to cast judgement. I have been a vegetarian for over a year. I've recently transitioned to a vegan diet. I have two young children and refuse to make them take on my lifestyle (I hate buying meat but it's up to them) They know how I feel. It is extremely hard to think of (vegan) meals that taste good, and appeal to my children. I am frustrated. I have made countless lentil loafs and 'alfredo' sauces and I'm always disappointed. I have a an intolerance to dairy and I refuse to eat meat. If anyone has any tried and true recipes, please share!!!

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    No judgement, and unfortunately no help from me.

I just wanted to pop in and say thankyou for following your beliefs, but allowing your children the opportunity to make their own decisions.. I have a friend that does the same and it is difficult for her to prepare meat for her family but still does.

Good on you.
  • bhhblue
    bhhblue Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan but I do vegan cooking sometimes. My parents will not drop meat, but I have gotten them into a few items like spicy black bean burgers or the Boca Chicken sandwiches are their favorites. Ratatoille is also a great dish. I dont remember the recipe, but look it up. It is awesome!
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Fatfreevegan.com has a lot of great recipes. So does Chocolatecoveredkatie.com. Good luck!
  • Fliznip
    Options
    I too am a vegan. My family and I are pretty new to the lifestyle yet, but cannot believe how great our bodies feel after a couple of months! My daughter has been a vegetarian for the last three years so it hasn't been that hard to make the transition, considering most of our meals were vegetarian anyway.

Try this recipe out, we had it tonight and absolutely loved it! We will be making this again and again for sure!

http://www.recipe.com/pesto-pizza-salad/

Good luck and let me know what you think. I've got some more if you're interested.
  • xPaprika
    Options
    Foodgawkers is a good place for recipe inspiration: http://foodgawker.com/post/category/vegan/

And if you're interested in trying out some different vegan loafs, this site is handy for that too: http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html

Good luck and hope you find some new tasty vegan dishes : )

Edit to add: Veganlunchbox.com gives some good ideas for kids meals too, by the by.
  • LoveMyArmyMedic
    LoveMyArmyMedic Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :D
  • LoveMyArmyMedic
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • johnplil
    Options
    If you're looking for Vegan recipes that will knock your sock off....check out "www.yummly.com/recipes". It has over 56,000 different vegan recipes. I just recently became a vegetarian and use it all the time. Let me know what you think.
  • LoveMyArmyMedic
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • LoveMyArmyMedic
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses!!!